Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This government still confuses me.

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

This government still confuses me. Empty Re: This government still confuses me.

Post by Guest Fri 23 Nov 2012, 12:57

Back to top Go down

Post by OldZipperhead Fri 23 Nov 2012, 11:15

Don't forget that the Conservatives brought in the GST as well.
OldZipperhead
OldZipperhead
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2012-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Nov 2012, 09:56

Wait for retro, declare yourself a non resident of Canada for tax purposes, and join me in Cuba, living high on 20 dollars a day

Back to top Go down

This government still confuses me. Empty Tax History FYI

Post by pteadams2002 Fri 23 Nov 2012, 09:51

Canada avoided charging an income tax prior to the First World War. The lack of income tax was seen as a key component in Canada's efforts to attract immigrants as Canada offered a lower tax regime compared to almost every other country. Prior to the war Canadian federal governments relied on tariffs and customs income under the auspices of the National Policy for most of their revenue, while the provincial governments sustained themselves primarily through their management of natural resources (the Prairie provinces being paid subsidies by the federal government as Ottawa retained control of their natural resources for the time being). The federal Liberal Party considered the probable need to introduce an income tax should their negotiation of a free trade agreement with the United States in the early 20th century succeed, but the Conservatives defeated the Liberals in 1911 over their support of free trade. The Conservatives opposed income tax as they wanted to attract immigrants primarily from the United Kingdom and the United States, and they wanted to give immigrants some incentive to come to Canada.

Wartime expenses forced the Tories to re-consider their options and in 1917 the wartime government under Sir Robert Borden imposed a "temporary" income tax to cover expenses. Despite the new tax the Canadian government ran up considerable debts during the war and were unable to forego income tax revenue after the war ended. With the election of the Liberal government of Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie King, much of the National Policy was dismantled and income tax has remained in place ever since.

[edit] Constitutional authority

The constitutional authority for the federal income tax is found in section 91 paragraph 3 of the Constitution Act, 1867, which assigns to the federal Parliament power over "The raising of Money by any Mode or System of Taxation".

The constitutional authority for the various provincial income taxes is found in section 92 paragraph 2 of the Constitution Act, 1867, which assigns to the legislature of each province the power of "Direct Taxation within the Province in order to the raising of a Revenue for Provincial Purposes". The courts have held that "an income tax is the most typical form of direct taxation".[3]

[edit] Personal income taxes

Canada levies personal income tax on the worldwide income of individuals resident in Canada and on certain types of Canadian-source income earned by non-resident individuals.
Quoted from the Income Tax Act R.S.C. 1985: "An income tax shall be paid, as required by this Act, on the taxable income for each taxation year of every person resident in Canada at any time in the year".
pteadams2002
pteadams2002
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2012-08-04

http://pteadams2002@hotmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Nov 2012, 09:48

Want to talk BS , just wait until that Kadar gets out of jail, the one who killed the us medic , apparently his Human rights was violated and he will probably get millions

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 23 Nov 2012, 09:32

I'm sorry if my post came off as saying that these communities don't deserve to be compensated, but they already get millions of dollars each year for the community, and are exempt taxes because of what happened to their ancestors. This money could be used to better the community, but just handing over 10 thousand to individuals just for living there is ridiculous, and that is a waste of our money.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Nov 2012, 08:23

lol i here ya robbie.
propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Nov 2012, 08:09

I knew that propat I am just trying to act stupid so i don't offend anyone with intelligent comments that might lead anyone to think we vets have brains or that we can be passionate about being raked over the coals for years, I hope that comment did not offend anyone wouldn't want to be rude you know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Nov 2012, 07:58

robbie all governments need taxation to opperate like provide servises and such.we use to use tax on trade and exise tax to to provide these funds.however in a teporary move at in ore arround 1917 the goc intaduced income tax to make up the shortfalls in war funding.after the war the incometax was made permanent so exise tax and tax on trade could be lowerd to attract buissiness.you know the old steel from the poor and give to the ritch move.practices like that still happen today.
propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Nov 2012, 07:40

amen to that brother.
propat

Back to top Go down

Post by sailor964 Fri 23 Nov 2012, 07:20

The tories have to go period.
sailor964
sailor964
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Nov 2012, 05:34

big rex i here ya buds (native issue asside)i see your point i have been wrighting letters about what they have been doing to vets since 06.the nvc is the main issue here.however i can and have added many more.id love to respond fully to your comment with a really good rick mercer type rant on what this government has done to vets however if i did this thred would get deleated.the best thing we can do is vote them out next ellection.
propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Nov 2012, 05:27

how come we pay taxes in the first place?

Last edited by RobbieRoyal on Fri 23 Nov 2012, 06:07; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Nov 2012, 01:42

me as a white guy pays taxes to be a canadian.... this tax is towards goods and services, materials and all that good stufff ... for things that most likely come from the ground/earth. i am pretty sure thats why natives dont pay taxes on something belong to them in the first place..... canadians are tennants of the native people and thats why they dont pay taxes.... and if i had a tennant staying in my house and they ruined the water pipes by trying to make the living room bigger dam right i hope i get comfinsated and hopefuly they pay somebody related to me if not around..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Nov 2012, 01:22

if i had to wait 180 years for sisip realizing they wronged us and along the way i died... i hope my daughters grandson granddaughter grandson get something i waited so long for but never made it

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next