Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone, Dennis, know the timeline of payments once the settlement is approved?

3 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Does anyone, Dennis, know the timeline of payments once the settlement is approved? - Page 4 Empty Re: Does anyone, Dennis, know the timeline of payments once the settlement is approved?

Post by Teentitan Thu 03 Jan 2013, 12:07

Greatfoot come on man we all pay taxes. It's one of the two sure things of life, the other being death.

Hey I have no kids and I still pay school taxes. Part of living in Canada and it's something that I do not let bother me.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Does anyone, Dennis, know the timeline of payments once the settlement is approved? - Page 4 Empty Re: Does anyone, Dennis, know the timeline of payments once the settlement is approved?

Post by Guest Thu 03 Jan 2013, 12:04

Yet another screaming ass-rape on the part of the government.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Thu 03 Jan 2013, 12:02

OK everybody just got an email from MC and this is the skinny on HST charges..........

"I was speaking with Dan Wallace and yes, HST will be applied to our legal fees. We are currently working with CRA to ensure that the correct rates are applied. "

So we are ALL going to pay HST on services from our lawteam. This is the sad part of taxes across Canada everyone has a different rate but the consistent rate is HST. So it looks like we will have to wait for our bills BUT at least we get to claim the whole amount we pay on the "other deductions" line on our taxes.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Thu 03 Jan 2013, 10:46

I am looking into this.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Jan 2013, 10:42

HST should not be an issue. It gets tacked onto legal fees and then GOC claims it back as an Input Tax Credit so it should not (hopefully) have any effect.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Jan 2013, 08:03

We all choose were we want to live so whatever the taxes are where you live pay them you made that choice. As for the 8% HST taxes the GOC will be paying mine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Jan 2013, 22:40

Since my EX is slavering all over the news that we are getting money, can I not just send the tax bills, legal fees, and whatnot to her instead? If she wants a peice of me she can have a peice of that also. Therefore if my thinking is correct she always wants 100% of my money, so she should get 100% of this upcoming bill. And I won't fight her on it in court this time thus saving me even more lawyer bucks!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Jan 2013, 20:32

I agree it's totally unfair , but yes the residents of the province where the law offices are located, have to pay HST on the legal fees only, not on the retro, So I would assume BC residents will also, but I have heard about the NS HST for awhile

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 02 Jan 2013, 20:28

Well that will be unfair for us that have made lives in Nova Scotia, just because the representative client just happens to live in the same province as us. We are already losing more than the majority of the country because of higher provincial taxes, so having to pay an additional 15% on the legal fees will just suck. Does this mean that those in BC will have to pay extra as well because Ward Branch is based there?
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Jan 2013, 19:56

No, out of province doesn't have to pay anything, just like when ordering online

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Jan 2013, 19:50

So if you live outside NS you only pay 8% if so thats great

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Jan 2013, 19:19

Ya, I was told the same thing, being their office is in Nova Scotia so subject to HST , but only for NS residents on legal fees , so it could be 30 percent, so 15 percent on 30 percent of legal

Back to top Go down

Post by K9 Wed 02 Jan 2013, 19:03

Lawyers fees are a service under the Law, so if the charge you 1000$, or a percentage wich in final is an amount of$, ot is taxed.

Fed GST and Provincial tax. But they can only charge Provincial tax in the Province where they have office. So it is right to say so, but ifI'm wrong, please feel free to correct me, that was told to me by the CRA.

The best is to ask McCinnes Coopers about this.
K9
K9
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Jan 2013, 08:09

No HST. Come on guys just call Peter before starting this !

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Jan 2013, 07:51

I thought all payments like this would be as if you lived in Ontario. And i know it sucks to live in other places with higher provincial taxes and so on but that's and individual choice on where you want to live. So i guess you pay the piper. Also if HST is added for those who have Status Card can saves 8%.

Chimo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next