Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So this is the agreement............what a joke or is it just me ...again?

+2
Teentitan
acerman1234
6 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

So this is the agreement............what a joke or is it just me ...again? - Page 2 Empty Re: So this is the agreement............what a joke or is it just me ...again?

Post by Rags Wed 09 Jan 2013, 21:57

Good point bigrex on all but tax penalty. On issue of Tax penalty that wont apply to retros they just calculate the debt owed no penalty if it is arriving as a future court action. We never got paid so we did not incur debt. If we dont pay when we get settlement then we start to incur penalties from then forth.

Rags
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

So this is the agreement............what a joke or is it just me ...again? - Page 2 Empty Re: So this is the agreement............what a joke or is it just me ...again?

Post by Guest Wed 09 Jan 2013, 21:55

This was a taxable benefit from the start... when I was on SISIP LTD 24months I was taxed. So why should I be exempt it now... NO we all pay taxes or I have since I started working... And I am going to pay taxes on my ELB / PIA from VA. As for legal fee's if it wasnt for them winning we wouldnt have gotten anything.... It's not rocket science folks Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by MaggieinNB Wed 09 Jan 2013, 21:54

DCHD.. they are asking for 17.5% of the retro payments, 0% of the going forward amount and 0% of the interest paid... that works out to approximately 7.5% of the combined total of those three.

MaggieinNB
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2012-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 09 Jan 2013, 21:51

Teen, I have read Peter's affadavit, and it does not even mention any attempts to have the GoC pay any damages, or of them even broaching the issue of them paying legal fees. These are two very major issues among the class members and if the lawyers didn't even attempt to get either, then yes, they did screw us, IMO. It goes into great detail the back and forth on other issues like cutoff dates, inclusion of estates as well as zero sum clients, but absolutely nothing about pain and suffering of legal fees. Also, CRA should have been involved when calculating how much to award for the tax top up, because in my case, I highly doubt $1100 will cover penalties, since the CRA website lists anywhere from 7-9% interest on amounts owed, plus 1% per month up to a year, and 2% up to 20 months if amounts are late a second year in a row. So if I owe $4000 in back taxes for 2006, the penalties could be over $800 just for the one year.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Jan 2013, 21:31

well im gona keep studying and its not for certin yet we have to live with it.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Jan 2013, 21:28

Why is everyone talking about 17 % legal fees then.

Why is it the Peter said on the news in Halifax today that they were just asking for 7.5% of the settlement

"Driscoll said the law firm is asking for 7.5 per cent of the total settlement, but that's subject to court approval."

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/settlement-over-military-pension-clawbacks-worth-up-to-887-8m-1.1107249#ixzz2HXGtg2uv

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Jan 2013, 21:10

Ahhhh, Propat, I really didn't wAnt to be right, but here we are, we have to live with it better or worse, i am looking at it that at least I got reinstated,

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Wed 09 Jan 2013, 21:09

I will say it again the details of the negotiation are in Peter Driscoll's affidavit.
So maybe we should read it first then start slinging accusations of the lawfirm not fighting hard enough or getting screwed over.
Then let's study the Federal Court law and see if the correct decisions/approach was done correctly by Peter.
Hell if it was so damn easy to get a better deal why didn't someone already do it?

I really don't care if you are of the opinion we got screwed.

What I do care about is people coming on the CSAT and blindly accusing the lawfirm they did not work hard enough for us when you haven't done your research and read the affidavit. To prove to us that we are getting screwed over by explaining to us exactly where the lawyers screwed up.

Now about the payment...I don't like that we could potentially pay 17%, the Judge hasn't decided yet. Did you get that? The Judge hasn't decided yet.

Also if you don't want to pay and think the GoC should pay for cold hearted thievery for 36 years then speak up and embarass the Government by encouraging Canadians to demand they pay our bill.

Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Rags Wed 09 Jan 2013, 20:59

Well the 70% solution is that we may not ever have seen a perfect agreement for what you wanted but in the class maybe the default position rather then we get 0 is the 70% solution. 70 is better then 0. Remember Dennis is not the first to take this to court he is just first to win. I'm just saying wait for dust to settle sober second thought is best in this case of emotion. Just for the understanding of my position I'm a 100% guy since 03. Combat injured not slipped off my porch drunk one night at a party as a self inflicted wound. At 25k per year for a decade I have a fair amount to lose. Not withstanding im in high tax bracket already. Not saying dont be mad just wait and reflect later.

Rags
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Jan 2013, 20:54

I hope the media slams both of them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Jan 2013, 20:49

And the lawyers for not doing their job. They could have doubled their and our payments, I guess they will make up the reat of the money they could have won on banking their 70 mil they could easily make 2 - 3 million on interest and 30 million over the next ten years. So why fight just let the cash grow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Jan 2013, 20:48

navrat i keep reading and reaserching and it looks like you were correct and yes we were silenced it would have been really nice to let them know what we expected but someone was scared to death to here it now here we are.what next?

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Jan 2013, 20:42

Who wins? Does Dennis? He's caught in this and he never negioated the settlement, yes it's disappointing, but really what are we to do, there is a reason nobody came on here from the law firm . Everyone is done with us, were like sheep, we were herded along on this journey, told to keep our mouths shut and at the end got what was coming! I am very sad for all veterans, 2 things would have saved this , legal fees paid and some sort of real tax relief, I blame the GOC for being so tight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Jan 2013, 20:39

70% solution how does 50 - 60 % take home give you a 70% solution?

If i was marking the grade 50 - 60 % is a failure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Jan 2013, 20:36

How could we speak up when we didn't know we were going to get screwed?

We don't know the break down of what was said in meeting just blank statements.

Gag order was BS and this settlement is period.

|I am glad some of you are glad what your 50 - 60 % cut is.

I think we were robbed and this should be in a real court of law open for all to see.

Not happy, guy's you will be happy on the 9th of Jan 2013.

Well are you happy guys???

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next