Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So this is the agreement............what a joke or is it just me ...again?

+2
Teentitan
acerman1234
6 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

So this is the agreement............what a joke or is it just me ...again? - Page 3 Empty Re: So this is the agreement............what a joke or is it just me ...again?

Post by Rags Wed 09 Jan 2013, 20:31

No agreement is ever perfect. This is not the first law suit on this subject it was started in late 90s by others. This is the only one that has won and due to going the distance. Don't get to caught up on the details till we let dust settle and really see what and how the impacts affect us on each of our individual cases. In my humble opinion covering the original lead plaintiff off for 50k is not that big a number and not unusual in class actions. If any of ya has fought a legal battle close to this just the talking points cost ya 25k to start. I will reserve judgement on the details for later lets all just let dust settle pick the deal apart not to cast stones but to understand it. Then we can deside if we got screwed or not and in the end maybe its better to get a 70% solution then non at all.

Rags
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

So this is the agreement............what a joke or is it just me ...again? - Page 3 Empty No one said or even thought that we would get 100% of what we wanted.

Post by Guest Wed 09 Jan 2013, 20:21

No offence guys but in any class action the Plaintiff gets a little bit of extra cash almost 99% of the time and this is no different. It has nothing to do with him playing ball with the legal team or somehow getting paid off. It’s standard practice nothing more and personally I think after him starting this and all that he has had to put up with, it’s a small payout for his time and effort. If he never became the plaintiff we would still be getting our VAC benefits deducted with no end in sight from this government. So count your blessing that we are getting what we are.
No one said or even thought that we would get 100% of what we wanted.
Allot were afraid that the law firm would be taking their cut from us on a go forward basis on top of out of our back pay...
Up until the decision last May I never heard one bad thing about Dennis or how this was being handled. Now that we are finally getting some cash too many people have come forward with their dissatisfaction in the way this was handled. If anyone had issues they could have spoken up at anytime over the past 5 plus years.

Back to top Go down

So this is the agreement............what a joke or is it just me ...again? - Page 3 Empty Re: So this is the agreement............what a joke or is it just me ...again?

Post by Guest Wed 09 Jan 2013, 19:24

Breaks my heart 70 million to lawyers???? I was the one injured, I don't get it. I will never walk again normally or hear again and so on...... and they get 70 million????

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 09 Jan 2013, 19:16

If you went into a lawsuit wanting ten thousand back, minus taxes and fees, and they offered you a deal that gave you that, plus $50000 (which wont be subject to legal fees or HST, since it's getting paid out of the lawyers 70 million) would you turn it down? Sure it's a great deal for Dennis, but that isn't his fault.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by peep Wed 09 Jan 2013, 19:01

paid to shut up is what you are saying
peep
peep
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 843
Registration date : 2012-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 09 Jan 2013, 18:57

yes, oldvet, I don't blame Dennis for getting paid, but at that amount, he is getting far more just returning the money owed, than any other class member, even those who have been screwed around since 1976. So he cannot objectivity say that this is good deal for the entire class.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Jan 2013, 18:52

yup i agree with oldvet as well.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Jan 2013, 18:44

I agree with oldvet guys and as for Dennis receiving 50,000 it comes from the legal teams fees and not ours. Jesus, the GOC was trying to get Dennis personally to pay their legal fees during this mess. They purposely put a lot and i mean a lot of pressure on him personally from what i have read tonight. i don;t have my personal sheet in front of me yet so I have no idea what my final numbers are so too early for me to comment on the settlement.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Jan 2013, 18:38

Really Guys, Dennis's Compensation of $50,000 should not even bother any of us. Christ the guy went through public hell to get us this deal in the first place. As for the fee's, a little over the top. P.S what the fuck is the extra 2% supposed to cover? The income taxes of McInnis Cooper?

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 09 Jan 2013, 17:10

I agree, it is a conflict of interest that the person that had the power to sign off on the proposal, will be handed money from the lawfirm that is 5 time the amount that he had taken from the government. Nobody else in the class will make benefit as nicely.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Jan 2013, 16:34

Yes, long time zero sums got taken

Back to top Go down

Post by acerman1234 Wed 09 Jan 2013, 16:13

Thanks Navrat....the one most piss off point is the 3.27% offset.
The long time zero sums really get royally screwed. As many will be pushed
near the 40% tax bracket with this payout as most would of only be near 20% thru the years. Simple math, and since the plaintiff himself will not be affected why not sigh off on this agreement,,,,,with his $50,000.(conflict of interest as I see it)

acerman1234 Suspect
acerman1234
acerman1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Jan 2013, 15:58

Acerman , it's quite sad really, this deal is a financial nightmare and outright theft , it's really outrageous to even have put it in front of us

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Wed 09 Jan 2013, 15:57

You are repeating what has been stated. Where's your reasoning/explanation as to why it is not right?
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by acerman1234 Wed 09 Jan 2013, 15:52

1. 3.27%offset....should be closer to 20%
2. $50,000 to dm when he stated he would recieve nothing?
3. massive delays in the payout
4. 17.7% lawyer fees to high.............
5. each vet should receive detailed statement with clear out line of
fees,,,,,,with holding taxes and amount to be received
6. ect...ect........

acerman1234 Suspect
acerman1234
acerman1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next