Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crown to oppose legal fees being sought

+2
sabrelove
Rags
6 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Crown to oppose legal fees being sought - Page 5 Empty Re: Crown to oppose legal fees being sought

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 08:26

I hope you are right but you never know !!!!! You are right it may not be bad for all except for the ones who need this money... I don't need the money myself but i worry about those people that do As most of the vets out there.... We won we are going to pay fees but I do hope they get lowered .. Maybe if the govt came out and said we will pay the fees this would give it more weight .... Like pte Adams said most agree with this settlement .. Which is good .....

Back to top Go down

Crown to oppose legal fees being sought - Page 5 Empty Re: Crown to oppose legal fees being sought

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 08:23

My lowly view is that the goc will agrue for lower fees to try to show how compassionate they are for us vets lol. in reality i can see the judge lowering fees to 25-30 milion and finalizing this case. Here's for hoping.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 08:15

oiler if it drags on im not sure it will be long.nor do i think it is nesasaraly a bad thing.if he changes the leagal fees and accepts the rest of the deal the deal still stands and any timeline of its implamentation would not change.if he rejects the deal he will not mention the fees but insted explain to the two parties why.if i were a mind reader i could tell you what the goc would do from there but no one can.i can guess that since the GOC did not appeal the judges disision and agreed to negotiate the settlement they want this thing done soonest.and again just a guess but long before the next election.so for thoes reasons im guessing they will sit back down at the table again just to resolve the issues in the judges explanation and not having to redo the bulk of the deal.

the only thing to fear is fear itself and thoes that would spread it.

allways question athority

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 08:15

99.9% of vets are happy with this deal.....IF THE LEGAL FEES COME DOWN !

LTD4ME-PLEASE START THE NEXT SUIT TO TAKE CARE OF THE ONE THEY MISSED.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 08:13

trust ....all i want is the fees reduced and the government says they will legally indicate that to the judge.... 13000 per hour ...that would pay off the defense budget .....lolol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 08:12

realistically this can not be bad for all oiler but now we may have a chance to leave NO vet behind, wish more people would think of the greater good not just the instant payday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 08:09

You are right it could! But I am not used to the govt saying you are paying to much ,which we are, and we will help you .. My own thought is they are now trying to stall this .. I do think fees will be lowered by the judge anyways because of feed back from vets.... I am not trying to be negative but when govt is involved I start to panic a little...

Do you trust what the govt is trying to do here????
Chimo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 07:56

this couldnt be better.....for us.....the judge needs this media input ....so what its delayed this 650000000000000000000000000000000000000 is killing us ..i predict 20 million for fees

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 07:51

Holy I can see this dragging on further can anyone else? I just have that feeling!!!! As I said before it is out of our hands the gov't will do what they can to show you they are still in control. I am happy with the settlement the way it is but I see the other points people have and do agree with these points ie fees ... But as soon as the govt sees they can divide us there and carry it on further the better for them. Wow this could be bad for all.......

Back to top Go down

Post by Rags Wed 13 Feb 2013, 07:26

They will get what has been stated at this site for weeks. they will be paid for good work done based on past history at the court which is about 3 to 5% may go as high as 7% of the payout straight across the board.

The GOC is nervous rad between the lines here, they know if the judge accepts out proposal to decline the offer and we negotiate they are paying half the bill no question if we go to trial unlikely they will pay it all. They need it lower to so they dont get dinged if the NO side wins on thursday.

Ward Branch Said
"Mr. Branch said the legal-fee structure was determined at the outset by Federal Court rules, which give the option for each side to agree not to ask each other to cover their costs."

This proves one of the so contested comments a week ago that the NO side. That MC never asked for fees to be paid by GOC in negotiation. AS the NO side said we have to ask for it and only way is to have proposal go back to be talked about on a few points or trial to get the real money and get GOC to pay.

Rags
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 01:06

Finally some substantial piece of info. By the looks of the other class suits MC will be getting what they are asking for.

Back to top Go down

Crown to oppose legal fees being sought - Page 5 Empty Crown to oppose legal fees being sought

Post by Guest Wed 13 Feb 2013, 00:30

There's an interesting Canadian Press article making it's rounds.
What stands out is on an updated version with the following quotes:

A spokesman for Defence Minister Peter MacKay also criticized the size of the payments.

“The legal fees sought, which equates to a top hourly rate of $13,487.50, are so far beyond what can be characterized as reasonable as to be grossly excessive,” Jay Paxton said in an e-mail.

“The Crown informed the judge that the government of Canada will oppose the amount of legal fees being sought as unreasonable and we expect that much of that settlement reaches its intended beneficiaries, the veterans.”

Link to article:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/veterans-lawyers-in-line-for-66-million-payout/article8566649/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5