Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are your thoughts on how the sisip ordeal was handled.

4 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What are your thoughts on how the sisip ordeal was handled. Empty Re: What are your thoughts on how the sisip ordeal was handled.

Post by Guest Wed 25 Sep 2013, 00:00

True GD...but they live in the holiday inn! Cable tv, free education, they can vote and get their CPP now...free dental and medical. lol The only thing different, (other than the pensions), they have bars on their windows and can't walk the streets...I don't have bars on my windows, and can hardly walk...but to get VAC to get me something other than a cane takes an act of parliament. They did promise me a scooter, but then reneged on that promise...denying they ever said that to me...even though I have their formal paperwork to prove it. Well anyway...it's like being an inmate, stuck inside all the time, watching our rights get trampled on and taken away...but we didn't do anything wrong. Well, I didn't anyway...I can't speak for others here. lol

Back to top Go down

What are your thoughts on how the sisip ordeal was handled. Empty Re: What are your thoughts on how the sisip ordeal was handled.

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2013, 19:26

zero hate to say this but inmates in prison actually get 4$ a day (2 hour) on top of being free!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2013, 17:05

Well trooper, that's what governments are all about...backwards thinking, and not taking care of those in their own country, yet bending over backward for those in other countries to make our country look like it does so much for others...our supposed "free society"...sure, it's great if you immigrate here, but a Canadian citizen gets squat...unless you're in prison, where you get a free education and so many other rights...and who says crime doesn't pay.

True how they love us when we're able to do our jobs, but once we become injured and useless to them...that's exactly how we're treated, like a burden on the tax payers. Why don't they get off of their lazy asses and find all the UI and welfare cheats...as we know, there are tons of them out there.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'll be in Ottawa on Remembrance Day speaking my mind to anyone who'll listen. Stupid government can't even honor us by making Remembrance Day a national holiday...that's how little they think of our commitment, and of those who gave their lives to protect their freedoms.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2013, 16:34

Yes zero, they have some good Lawyers, and they use them to destroy the lives, of the very same people, that provide security for their own lives.
Time for a government change, the only problem, not a lot to choose from.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2013, 16:12

Absolutely right propat...I think they did this according to what would work out the best for DM...you know, Mr. 50K finder fee, with his tax free honorarium. This fight isn't over by a long shot...after we all get our loot, we should find another law firm willing to look at that issue, since of course the present firm doesn't give a shit...after all, they get their 8+% right off the tope before taxes are ripped from us, then we have to pay even more taxes to them for the fees we shouldn't even be paying. One thing you have to say about the GoC...they have damned fine lawyers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2013, 15:59

that's right bigrex and some the ones the clawbacked the most from could be paying around 50% when they would have payed around 25% if they were not clawed back. imagine that 25% right off the top in EXTRA TAX. yes kiddies that's right those getting 400,000 could loose 200,000 in tax 100,000 of that is tax they never would have payed if they were not clawed back. kinda makes you feel a little bit better about the legal fees don't it.

MAKES ME SICK

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2013, 15:13

Shafted as we always are by those getting money off of our backs, sweat and blood...it's the way others view us...use us and abuse us. No more...we can speak out and fight for our rights...I have no fear of cops with batons...I can take a few scars for the cause.

RR, you're a wonder to behold...your words state what others are thinking as well, although, you have a unique and eloquent of throwing it out there...I'm so glad that you're on our side.

Rex, as always, you hit the nail right on the head...say it like it is brother.

Trooper & Teen...what can I say...you guys rock.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 24 Sep 2013, 14:52

Not to mention having to pay 30% of the award in taxes. I know for a fact that back when I first released, I certainly wasn't in a 30% tax bracket.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2013, 12:02

You know RR that is correct, Yes we got the retro back but we paid 9 percent to do it. If somebody was released and didn't have the clawback but was still entitled to sisip ltd because sisip doesn't have to be service related, they collected full ltd with no 9 percent payment.

Back to top Go down

Post by OldZipperhead Tue 24 Sep 2013, 11:31

Robbie - I like where your heads at, well said!
OldZipperhead
OldZipperhead
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2012-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2013, 10:10

What do I honestly think of how this class action has unfolded?
De facto a term widely used in the class action suit to establish ultimately in our own language of soldier terms “the blind leading the blind". The only problem with this de facto policy was the CDS did not question the interpretations within the policy (because he or the other 13 CDS's are not lawyers) nor did the CF members (as it was a CFAO and we all know how many lawyers there are in our ranks) prior to Manuge. A de facto serving CF member whom handed the roll of Lead Plaintiff to Manuge to challenge the implementation and language within 901102 was our actual saving grace. To this man I salute you.
The 901102 policy was underwritten (for the record underwritten is defined as the one answerable for a designated loss or damage on consideration of receiving a premium percent in relation to life insurance policies) by CDS and managed by Manulife, “the de facto insurer is the CDS and the de facto insured are CF members.”
The policy was written in a way that the interpretation of words and phrases such as “other source income”, “awards”, “gratuities” and "benefits" payable to active or disabled CF Members would never be challenged under the Pension Act. Until oops 2006 when the invention of the  "shit they caught on to our money laundering scheme" Canadian Forces members and Veterans Re-establishment and Compensation Act replaced the monthly Pensions Act benefits with a lump sum payment not deductible by SISIP.
I wonder why the NVC was rushed through the floor and with a snap of the finger replaced the old policy. Ironically these lump sum payments flew right past SISIP and did not become a source of income, talk about giving credence to the law suit.
So ask me again about April 06 2006 and why Minister Greg Thompson (yes the same one that while working to serve us veterans was allowing our private information to be viewed by anyone with a pen) was buried so deep in Stephen's arse and I will tell you straight up it was to clean the clouded controversy that would later give over 9,000 veterans some form of financial restitution.
What I have learned from this case is that the GOC has been calling the shots from day 1 and in fact gave or for better terms directed the legal misrepresentation strict guidelines and legal parameters to abide by. If you look at July 06 2010 and ask yourself why did 7,000 residential property owners in Port Colborne Ontario receive $36,000,000 in damages, easy it was nationally televised and it was physical evidence. One specific geographical area and boom damages awarded can't deny that can we. Look at us here, spread out over 35 years from one end of this country to the next coupled with a no brainer win looming in the future and the public wanting to know why they should foot a bill for our pain and suffering, well let's just say the GOC knew right from day one they had us lined up and blindfolded. Sucks that the bastards used blanks but the powder burns (taxes/lawyer fees) still leave a mark don't they?
My thought for the day may you find clemency in yours.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Sep 2013, 18:33

Teen, I am glad you cleared that up about why sisip wants LTD clients.
They are the insurer, and the CDS is the policy owner, therefor sisip has no reasons to purposely try to get rid of clients.
I am sure that when the six Month Timeline was put in place, sisip was directed by the GOC, on the procedure of paying out the retro within this timeline, or at least having the last word on it.
When I received my Letter from MC, stating that I was part of the Law suit, this was in 2008, I contacted sisip to have my filed looked at, they gave me all info in this regard, with no problem, they seem happy to help, and moving forward, each time I contacted them, they also helped.
There were a few times that I contacted them, the person responding was not fully up to date, on how to answer my questions, however that did not bother me, as I would just call back, and speak with someone else.
Maybe I was just lucky throughout my dealings with them, but for me I don't blame them for the way they handled this process, as I am sure they have been given directions from the top, just doing what they are told, doing their job, just like we did in our military career.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Sep 2013, 17:55

ya teen unfortunately it was a odd contract that the CDS set the policy and not them so in order to not breach the contract they had to follow the policy as dictated to them.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Mon 23 Sep 2013, 17:33

propat Maritime may not have gone public but if asked by a client they responded with "Yes it is illegal what the GoC is doing." The GoC probably put a "answer if only asked" rule in place.

I do want to clear something up about "why" SISIP wants LTD clients is this. TB pays 100% of the costs for LTD clients. SISIP charges administration fees for each client.

So for each client that was zeroed out or finished with LTD SISIP lost administration fees of that client. So it is financially favorable for SISIP to have more LTD clients then not because they pay out nothing and charge admin fees.

So like I said they have said since day 1 of the LTD policy it is illegal to deduct a tax-free payment from a taxable LTD payment.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Sep 2013, 17:25

georges you are right this practice should have stopped years ago in fact should never have started. the fact is this was agreed to by public service unions  so they did it to us as well. so they linked our pensions and our premiums went down but we lost part of our pensions at 65. but later they gave us our own pension plan but delinked it so our premiums went up but surprise surprise   we still have our pensions cut at 65. wow the really went the long rout to frack us there.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next