Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Career Impact Allowance (CIA)

+59
derngt
Iceman
VetWife
propat
daverobitaille@rogers.com
Gunner8
Rubicon
coppers2002
rmsclk
140AESOP
XMedic
SIGS PIGS
sports1977
AirLog
kennyturcotte
sports_1977
armyvet83
red510
Newfie
rmsclk836
Tilap61
Paratrooper
lyonhart
Nemo
By the Bay
Yump5555
frustrated
acerman1234
861Cook
GPO75
Willie
Gardener101
Armygunner
Teager
321HTRCN
Rustytheviking
Dannypaj
abetterway
bosn181
LostTrucker
Newf
tetech
Panserbjørn
1sea0shell33
1993firebird
LawnBoy77777
Vet1234
vaincre
cosmo12
srproctor
Rifleman
Sapper Zodiak
czerv
pinger
johnny211
bigrex
BinRat
Teentitan
63 posters

Page 8 of 47 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 27 ... 47  Next

Go down

Career Impact Allowance (CIA) - Page 8 Empty Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA)

Post by Armygunner Thu 31 Jan 2019, 19:09

Thanks for the info BigRex.

I'm trying to figure out if VAc is going to remove these requirements from each grade level :

OR

For earning capacity and years left to serve assessment, these Veterans:
Have been determined to have a DEC, have the potential to earn between 33.4% to 66.6% of their imputed income, and have more than 5 years left to serve; or
Have been determined to have a DEC, have the potential to earn a maximum of 33.3% of their imputed income and have more than 5 years left to serve and up to and including 15 years left to serve.

Armygunner
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2016-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by bosn181 Thu 31 Jan 2019, 16:46

from what i hear from vac when i ask will i go higher than level 2 they say very few people will qualify for the $1500 and they could not tell me what was needed to go to the higher amount. I read through what was there and i seem to have all the ticks in the boxes but don't think i will end up going to max there has to be something they have in there box of tricks to keep vets at lower levels while selling plan to public on how great it is.

bosn181
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2017-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 30 Jan 2019, 22:06

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/pension-for-life#questionsAndAnswers

Q: What is the eligibility criteria of the Additional Pain and Suffering Compensation?

A: This benefit is payable to Veterans who have one or more disabilities caused by a service-related injury or illness that is:

• Creating a permanent and severe impairment; and
  • Creating a barrier to re-establishment in civilian life; and
  • For which the Veteran has received a Disability Pension, Disability Award or Pain and Suffering Compensation.

Q: What is the monthly Additional Pain and Suffering Compensation based on?

A: The benefit recognizes that severe and permanent impairments may create barriers to establishing themselves in post-service life. The monthly amount payable is based on the extent of the Veteran's permanent and severe impairment. It takes into consideration such things as a Veterans' mobility, requirements for supervision and the need for assistance with activities of daily living (such as bathing and dressing).

Nowhere does it mention the amount of service time a Veteran lost, being declared DEC, or the level of income they are capable of earning. All of which are the key elements to that side of the eligibility criteria. I'm sure there is something specific in the legislation, but this paints a pretty clear picture IMO.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Armygunner Wed 30 Jan 2019, 20:30

Can someone point me in the right direction where it states that "the time served" portion of the CIA eligibility for each grade level will be removed come 1 April 2019?

Thank you

Armygunner
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2016-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 21 Jan 2019, 22:53

Copper, there is no way to get CIAS temporarily. but since you are not going to be working, that income will not be deducted from your ELB. You might need to prove to VAC, that you have gone off work, though.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Jan 2019, 22:50

coppers2002 wrote:Scratch that.. i see I can apply under normal CIA app, but do I need to be permanent DEC?
to get CIAS you need to be DEC, if you dont think you'll ever return to work and can back it up medically, ask your cm tp recommend you for DEC , with a little luck you may get both dec and cias before , April 1. If all you have is elb right now apply for CIA

Back to top Go down

Post by coppers2002 Mon 21 Jan 2019, 20:46

Scratch that.. i see I can apply under normal CIA app, but do I need to be permanent DEC?

coppers2002
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2017-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by coppers2002 Mon 21 Jan 2019, 20:44

Hoping someone can help. I was approved for CIA (while working) and now I am going on a 6 month unpaid medical leave (unable to work.)
How do I apply for CIAS??? I have not been determined DEC but unable to make any $ for the next 6 months. I am already approved ELB. Thoughts? I honestly don't know if I could even ever go back to my line of work.

coppers2002
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2017-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by propat Mon 21 Jan 2019, 16:12

hey buds yes if you checked that box .

on the DEC issue ; not necessarily some cant but all it really means that your ability to earn income has been diminished . they pulled a fraction out of their buts of 1/3 , ie; if you cant earn 66% or more of your previous salary .

propat

propat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2017-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Sun 20 Jan 2019, 14:56

Propat, the form on myvacacoount that I filled out said career impact allowance/supplement. So would that mean that I applied for both with one form?

Also, if I was DEC, would that mean that I could never work again? Because I am on ELB, did rehab program, did school, completed it, with a struggling attendance which almost seen me get kicked out. But still can’t get back to work. Still seeing my psychiatrist. But my goal is to Be able to get back to work at some point.

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 331
Registration date : 2018-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by propat Sun 20 Jan 2019, 14:26

gunner I applied for CIAS at the same time I applied for CIA ,DEC and ELB without and issue others on this site have as well . you said you were on rehab that's great .call your CM and ask to apply for these things . I would advise you to do this ASAP to get a date on your CIAS application .

your call

propat

propat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2017-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 20 Jan 2019, 13:22

If someone is not approved for CIAS, by April 1st, they lose out on that extra money. Right now, we're still unsure if pending CIAS applications will be grandfathered or not.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Jan 2019, 12:46

Bruce72 wrote:
Gunner8 wrote:Bosn181, I am not DEC, but I’ve been on ELB since 2013, did rehab program, but still can’t get back to work. I only found out about CIA last week, so I decided to apply for it with advice from some of the fine people on here. I had no idea about it. Does one need to be dec to get CIAS? I won’t even know if I will get CIA yet. I guess I have to be accepted for CIA before I could even consider CIAS? Thanks

Gunner

Gunner, you need to be deemed DEC to qualify for the CIAS, and it is being eliminated as of April 1,2019.

CIA is Career Impact Allowance, available to thos who are not DEC, but have a severe and permanent impairment.

CIAS is Career Impact Allowance Supplement, only available to those with a Diminished Earnings Capacity.
maybe it’s too early to tell, but if a veteran would have been considered DEC if they had applied before Apr 1 but failed to apply, it means they lose out on the CIAS, and hence some quality of life. But other than DEC disappearing, after April 1, does that mean that that veteran who now applies will never see that $1100+, or is there just another name for it. How is VAC deciding that prior to April 1 severely injured veterans would benefit from extra money every month due to their situation, but after April 1 they can get by just fine on only ELB.?

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Sun 20 Jan 2019, 11:45

Great, thanks again Bruce.

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 331
Registration date : 2018-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Jan 2019, 11:39

Gunner8 wrote:Thanks Bruce. Much appreciated. I did just do out the form on myvacaccount for CIA, is that all I need to do for that? Should I contact my CM to speed up the process?

Gunner

If you applied on My VAC Account and encountered no problems submitting your application, all you can do is sit back and wait for your decision. You will receive updates on My VAC Account as your application moves through the process. You can mention it of course to your CM, but they can't speed up the adjudication process.

Good luck! I hope you are successful with your application.

Also your application will be adjudicated under the current legislation, because you applied before April 1, 2019.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 47 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 27 ... 47  Next