Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Career Impact Allowance (CIA)

+59
derngt
Iceman
VetWife
propat
daverobitaille@rogers.com
Gunner8
Rubicon
coppers2002
rmsclk
140AESOP
XMedic
SIGS PIGS
sports1977
AirLog
kennyturcotte
sports_1977
armyvet83
red510
Newfie
rmsclk836
Tilap61
Paratrooper
lyonhart
Nemo
By the Bay
Yump5555
frustrated
acerman1234
861Cook
GPO75
Willie
Gardener101
Armygunner
Teager
321HTRCN
Rustytheviking
Dannypaj
abetterway
bosn181
LostTrucker
Newf
tetech
Panserbjørn
1sea0shell33
1993firebird
LawnBoy77777
Vet1234
vaincre
cosmo12
srproctor
Rifleman
Sapper Zodiak
czerv
pinger
johnny211
bigrex
BinRat
Teentitan
63 posters

Page 5 of 47 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26 ... 47  Next

Go down

Career Impact Allowance (CIA) - Page 5 Empty Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA)

Post by pinger Wed 17 Apr 2019, 21:17

Good for you Gunner8 as your CIA, DEC, and CIAS was at least approved BEFORE April 1. 19.
A CIA grade level review ? There were automatic reviews 1 - 2 years ago, Mine bumped up without any action of my own.
And yes I am DEC. But a CIAS approval doesn't approve or trigger an automatic CIA level 2 if I read your Q right.

Stay well all.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Wed 17 Apr 2019, 18:35

Looking for some advice. I applied for CIA in January, got approved in about 4-5 weeks, at grade level 3. February 20 I applied for CIAS/DEC, my application went to step 3 on March 5th I believe it was, and anyway I got a letter saying I was deemed DEC effective March 19. So I called my CM and she had told me that yes I am DEC, and I will get CIAS, just that paperwork is slower because off all changes and what not. Which is not a surprise because it’s always slow lol. But my question is, should I go ahead and ask for/apply for a cia level increase as well? Or is level 2 automatic with CIAS? Thanks

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2018-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Mar 2019, 16:29

daverobitaille@rogers.com wrote:week 9 and still at step 3 for CIA. Why some people get it within 3 to 4 weeks? There is no consistency at VAC. Sad

I was approved for CIA back in 2015 and the adjudication process was 16 weeks if I remember correctly.

Hopefully you'll hear something soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by daverobitaille@rogers.com Fri 15 Mar 2019, 16:22

week 9 and still at step 3 for CIA. Why some people get it within 3 to 4 weeks? There is no consistency at VAC. Sad

CSAT Member

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2018-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by VetWife Tue 26 Feb 2019, 17:52

Thanks for the clarification, I just wanted to check because what I was told and what I thought I knew didn't jive and the only concrete answer I could get from those that should be in the know was wait and see how it plays out after April 1. I get that they are trying to be proactive but honestly, if they cannot do it a way that provides info instead of causing stress and anxiety then why bother? Originally my husband answered the phone and these types of things stress him right out, I would have been much happier just to receive a letter. Thanks again!

VetWife
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2012-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Feb 2019, 16:37

VetWife wrote:Thanks for the info, I was aware it was a done deal but the numbers to me don't jive with what I thought, my understanding was that it would go down to $500 from the current $622 and be non taxable, I cannot for the life of me figure out how they are reducing by $400 quoted to me by the agent, I even confirmed the number to ensure I was correct in what I was hearing, when I tried to get clarification on this it seemed like I just confused the person I was talking to and that she was just following a script which did not allow her to deviate from what was written or to answer any questions.  I hate it when they call out of the blue but can't answer questions.  Just to clarify, this change only affects the CIA not the supplement correct?  

Yes this only affects the CIA. The CIAS amounts are being protected (only for those currently receiving CIAS) and rolled into the Income Replacement Benefit and will remain taxable.

When I received my phone call, the lady told me that my Disability Pensions, Pension for Life and CIA grade level 2 would be rolled into one payment, because they are tax free.

So one payment taxed and one not.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Bruce72 on Tue 26 Feb 2019, 16:39; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Back to top Go down

Post by VetWife Tue 26 Feb 2019, 16:00

Thanks for the info, I was aware it was a done deal but the numbers to me don't jive with what I thought, my understanding was that it would go down to $500 from the current $622 and be non taxable, I cannot for the life of me figure out how they are reducing by $400 quoted to me by the agent, I even confirmed the number to ensure I was correct in what I was hearing, when I tried to get clarification on this it seemed like I just confused the person I was talking to and that she was just following a script which did not allow her to deviate from what was written or to answer any questions. I hate it when they call out of the blue but can't answer questions. Just to clarify, this change only affects the CIA not the supplement correct?

VetWife
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 26 Feb 2019, 15:48

Yes, so you are obviously getting CIA grade 1, which is going from $1868 taxable, to $1500 tax free.  So depending on where you live, you might make out better, or worse, than before this change. I don't think it will be a drastic change either way.But by reducing your taxable income by $22000 per year, you should see a significant difference when filing your income tax return.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Feb 2019, 15:27

VetWife wrote:I'm wondering if someone can help me please.  rec'd call from some random person at VAC,  was advised by this person that the CIA now in pay was being reduced by $400?  when I questioned what was going on I was told that no specifics could be offered as each case is different and that we needed to wait until after April 1st to figure out exactly how we would be affected.  I asked how a benefit could be reduced and the answer  I rec'd was "because now its non- taxable"  ok great but that still tells me nothing.  I wanted some background so that I could better understand what was going on but the agent was not able to properly articulate what is happening and couldn't provide me with any info other than the benefit s being reduced, that its non taxable and other than that she had no clue.  Can somebody help me out here to better understand whats going on?  Is the reduction for both the CIA and the supplement or?  I don't understand.  Thank you in advance.  
in a nutshell the new program rolling out April first reduces the 3 grades of CIA to $500,1000 & 1500, but it will now be non taxable. I’m no mathematician but I think lowest level currently is about $650 but taxed, so supposedly it’s supposed to even out maybe even put some vets a little a head, some a little behind monetarily. It’s happening to every vet getting CIA you haven’t been singled out or anything, but you would have to take into account each vets entire household income at tax time to see if you are going to come out on top or not, it’s a done deal by the gov. You can’t fight it,

Back to top Go down

Post by VetWife Tue 26 Feb 2019, 13:51

I'm wondering if someone can help me please. rec'd call from some random person at VAC, was advised by this person that the CIA now in pay was being reduced by $400? when I questioned what was going on I was told that no specifics could be offered as each case is different and that we needed to wait until after April 1st to figure out exactly how we would be affected. I asked how a benefit could be reduced and the answer I rec'd was "because now its non- taxable" ok great but that still tells me nothing. I wanted some background so that I could better understand what was going on but the agent was not able to properly articulate what is happening and couldn't provide me with any info other than the benefit s being reduced, that its non taxable and other than that she had no clue. Can somebody help me out here to better understand whats going on? Is the reduction for both the CIA and the supplement or? I don't understand. Thank you in advance.

VetWife
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by daverobitaille@rogers.com Tue 26 Feb 2019, 09:33

Still at step 3 for over 2 weeks now. Weird that some take a few days and some much longer.

CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Fri 15 Feb 2019, 18:16

After looking at my ELB benefits along with my CIA level 3 added, I will only get a extra $394 after taxes. I guess when April 1 comes that should go up to the $500 non taxable.

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Fri 15 Feb 2019, 18:06

Hi Dave, mine went to step 4 ( complete) just a couple days after it went to step 2/3. And today I had money deposited in my account. But everyone’s is different from what I’ve been seeing on here. But it seems the CIA has been moving real fast lately. Good luck to you. Hopefully you get good news soon.

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 15 Feb 2019, 10:26

Dave, don't get too caught up on what the My account, says. It can take several days to be updated. And every case is different, so just because his was quick, doesn't mean that every decision will be as fast.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by daverobitaille@rogers.com Fri 15 Feb 2019, 09:34

Hi Gunner, how long after your application went to "complete" after it went to step 3? Mine did the same as yours 2 to 3 in the same day and now stock to 3.

CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 47 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26 ... 47  Next