Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legal Fees (Assorted Topics)

+27
oldsailor
Dove96
Wife of a Veteran
tiger660
1993firebird
sabrelove
ceedee
beleaf67
puddleduk2
DeeCee
Newfie
Rags
MaggieinNB
Nemo
meathead
pteadams2002
dennismanuge
froggie2u36
OldZipperhead
bigrex
sailor964
Sapper Zodiak
peep
acerman1234
K9
Teentitan
snrnavcom
31 posters

Page 12 of 67 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 39 ... 67  Next

Go down

Legal Fees (Assorted Topics) - Page 12 Empty Re: Legal Fees (Assorted Topics)

Post by RCN-Retired Wed 30 Oct 2013, 08:25

In the end my accountant has indicated next year even with all the deductions that I will owe CRA approximately another $38k, have already paid a little north of $70k and with legal fees tacked in the end will receive approximately 50% of what was stolen from my family. Would have much rather had them paying what they were supposed to all along. Getting screwed over by politicians is something that they do readily and as a Canadian not much choice but to bend over and take it. All parties should be ashamed of what they collectively have done to the veteran.
RCN-Retired
RCN-Retired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2012-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 30 Oct 2013, 08:19

No offense but can we put this to bed, but having said that if enough people feel incensed about the treatment of veterans as a whole on this issue, SISIP ,MC GOC I believe that The Law Society of Upper Canada would in fact solicit any such claims www.lsuc.on.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Tue 29 Oct 2013, 23:13

PGV it is in CRA laws that retroactive income, no matter how far back it goes, will have a tax penalty on it. The law applies to everyone.

I know it's a law that sucks but hey we are Canadian so please tax us some more.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3413
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by PGV Tue 29 Oct 2013, 23:01

Ok so if the negotiations are done can we at least go after amount of taxes we are paying for the late fees (no matter what they want to call them)?
PGV
PGV
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2013-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Oct 2013, 18:10

Gord, I would agree with what the MP has stated there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Oct 2013, 16:28

RDS wrote:Funny how Patrick Duffy can have some of his legal fees paid while serving as a Caucus member, but Veterans are on their own when it comes to legal fees....
RDS, the Conservatives picked up the tab for Duffy not the Government....as told to me today by a MP who also said the Class Action negotiation's are completed and that opportunity to have the tax tab picked up and damages paid is no longer a possibility.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Oct 2013, 13:27

Hey, Gord, welcome to the CSAT bunker, lol, I like your style , this can't hurt and who knows , it might rattle some heads and Harpers crying in his cornflakes at the moment, so who knows

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Oct 2013, 12:38

Last edited by Gord on Tue 29 Oct 2013, 16:21; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Tue 29 Oct 2013, 12:22

Exactly what trooper said was told to me by Peter D.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Oct 2013, 12:15

During the negotiations MC did bring it up, but the Government made it crystal clear, that they would fight it, and it would become a game changer in the whole negotiation process, so being able to claim the Legal fees on our returns, MC made the decision not to pursue that avenue, which in term resulted in a settlement, therefor resulting in class members being processed. In future Lawsuits, the decision to pursue such and avenue, would depend on what is being negotiated between both parties. In our situation, I firmly believe that our Lawyers, made the proper decision, given the situation they were in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Oct 2013, 12:02

Mcinnes only concern is money , they are a for profit business, if this offends anyone, sorry, but its true. They wont do anything for free so they would not be interested.

Back to top Go down

Post by PGV Tue 29 Oct 2013, 11:57

I realise The situation is exactly as you said Trooper but if we started again down the road and win would we again have to pay for legal fees or would we be able to get them covered next time? Do we actually have a chance to win the case or are we gonna waste time and money? Has MC actually said we have a good chance of winning or do they say to let it go?
PGV
PGV
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Oct 2013, 11:52

Simply put, if our Lawyers would have requested in the proposal, that the Government pay our Legal fees, none of the class members would have received their retro to date, this Law suit would be a long ways from being settled. So by not requesting it, we now have most of the class payed. We also can claim Legal fees payed on our 2013 tax return. So you tell me  ? Which of the two, would you choose today ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Tue 29 Oct 2013, 11:46

What does MC say about this? They will take us on as a client and charge us legal fees.

Sorry PGV but it's the first thing that popped into my head.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by PGV Tue 29 Oct 2013, 11:12

I think what most of us are upset about is that the precedent has been set that when a plaintiff wins that their lawyer fees have been covered. Even with the GOC they have payed many other lawsuite fees when they lose. Why should we have to pay for our own fees simply because we are not all in the same town and only a couple of us know a couple other members? They are paying the odds that we can not and will not ban together and do something about this and that they can keep the media distracted or banned from this issue.

As much as I appreciate MC and all the work they have done and continue to do. They were not able to get the GOC to pay for the fees. What are our options? What does MC say about this?
PGV
PGV
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 67 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 39 ... 67  Next