Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legal Fees (Assorted Topics)

+27
oldsailor
Dove96
Wife of a Veteran
tiger660
1993firebird
sabrelove
ceedee
beleaf67
puddleduk2
DeeCee
Newfie
Rags
MaggieinNB
Nemo
meathead
pteadams2002
dennismanuge
froggie2u36
OldZipperhead
bigrex
sailor964
Sapper Zodiak
peep
acerman1234
K9
Teentitan
snrnavcom
31 posters

Page 57 of 67 Previous  1 ... 30 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 62 ... 67  Next

Go down

Legal Fees (Assorted Topics) - Page 57 Empty Re: Legal Fees (Assorted Topics)

Post by Guest Fri 28 Dec 2012, 08:35

i for one am not going to be upset about the leagal fees nore will i be happy with them untill i actually see what they are.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Dec 2012, 08:09

Thats the problem Oldzipperhead,

A lot of people dont even know this is happening.
Like myself i found out that stupit people agreed to pay the lawyers 30% of their entitlements. And as i say before i was released in 2010 and found out about this last spring. So to pay 30% is criminal and if you signed a legal document to pay the lawyers 30% well pay them. For the people that never had a choice well it is BS

Chimo

Back to top Go down

Post by OldZipperhead Fri 28 Dec 2012, 02:33

Doesn't matter - where the hell where're you six year's ago or even six months ago? You come onto this forum and rant. What the hell gives, are you for the GoC or what?
OldZipperhead
OldZipperhead
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2012-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 27 Dec 2012, 17:59

BigRex, I hope you are right, I would love for you to be right, I would burn my Hamilton legion I'd if it was 10 percent, but I am at the point where I have accepted it. Really what else can we do?

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 27 Dec 2012, 17:55

the 30% was a contingency fee, and even the lawyers knew that the judge has final say as to the rates. Other class actions likely had similar contingency agreements when they started, but the legal fees owing in the two other major class action lawsuit, where the settlements were significantly larger than our possible 600-900 million dollar settlement, actually ended up being less than 5%. The tainted blood legal fees equaled 3.5% of the 1.6 Billion awarded, and had to be split by several different law firms. So if the courts saw fit to only award that little for those cases, since everyone has agreed our lawsuit has gone remarkably fast compared to most, the awards given consisted completely of tax free special and aggravated damages (no retro payments involved, and the legal fees were paid by the government, I am having a hard time we will have to pay any more than 10%, at the highest.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4064
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 27 Dec 2012, 17:55

That's the truth,pigeons, 30 percent hurts no matter what amount your getting

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 27 Dec 2012, 17:53

It never had to get to litigation. The government could have accepted the ombudsman's recommendation from 2003, they alone deserve to pick up the legal fees for being so anal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 27 Dec 2012, 17:51

Tell me about it, but I am at peace with this now, I am owed alot but I will lose alot, it's like my American friends tell me over the holidays , if they win a million dollars on a scratch and win ticket they only get 600000 , 400000 being withheld for taxes. Nothing will change just accept it, we can't change the legal profession, it's the legal mafia ,and we are being taxed, nothing will change, you will feel better if you accept that you kicked up Peters 30 percent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 27 Dec 2012, 17:45

No, I don't mind paying a fee for rendered service but a potential payday of $180 million dollars is fucking crazy. By us or the crown. Call me crazy but people on this site alone are paying over $100,000 dollars for lawyer fee's that is madness. Hell, I saw one man was diagnosed here with parkinson's and was banking on a nest egg for his family, this law firm plans on taking 30% of it? Bad enough hegot injured in the military now the civie's are fucking him too....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 27 Dec 2012, 17:40

Peter Mackay and Tony Clement can correct this injustice by paying the legal fees. I think it's pointless to argue over what a law firm deserves after they have rendered their service.
I had my roof re shingled 2 years ago. If I would have tried barter after the work was done the crew would have shot nail guns into my head. A deals a deal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 27 Dec 2012, 17:13

30 percent is defeat ,

Back to top Go down

Legal Fees (Assorted Topics) - Page 57 Empty Lawyers and their fee's

Post by Guest Thu 27 Dec 2012, 17:11

If the judge allows 30% in legal fees and McInnis Cooper collects hundreds of millions of dollars, I will flip out. It`s not about money anymore, it`s the principle; to sit back and watch others profit on my back and the back of my commrades makes me want to puke. Congrats to correcting a injustice, don`t create another one by rapping VETERANS of 30% of their entitlements. It cannot be allowed to happen, a potential $180 million dollar payday! Like that is fair..........

Last edited by doesn't matter on Thu 27 Dec 2012, 17:17; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Foul Language)

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 24 Dec 2012, 16:50

Well, I know one thing wrong with those numbers, legal fees and taxes will be calculated after interest and COLA amounts are added, not before. What this will do is increase both, the lawyers pay and the amount owing in taxes. The only way to reduce the taxes is to have the CRA recalculate your income for the years that the money should have been earned, but then you have to worry about penalties. I just wish they would have agreed to make, at least part of the settlement, tax free, since that would be the best way for us to keep most of our settlement.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4064
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Dec 2012, 15:38

Yes, sorry , red fisher those figures don't make any sense

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Dec 2012, 15:30

Johndeer did. Add these two figures up that he posted.

+ 57000.00 compounded interest over 10 yrs+
+ 50000.00 cost of living increases compounded over 10yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 57 of 67 Previous  1 ... 30 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 62 ... 67  Next