Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help me understand

+2
pinger
prawnstar
6 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Help me understand - Page 3 Empty Re: Help me understand

Post by prawnstar Thu 02 Oct 2014, 20:31

Thanks Pinger and Bigrex. I hear you both and yes I will keep the three GOC departments in check to make sure I don't get screwed. Now to complicate matters more I have requested that CPPD does a pension share with my wife which will in turn reduce the amount I will get which will in turn cause them to re-calculate everything again. The saga continues.

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 02 Oct 2014, 19:41

This is what I hate about these types of deductions. Technically, both will reduce your payment, if CPP is received, but a reduced CF pension, will also then affect the past deductions from ELB, for your CF pension. So maybe pay back the annuity, get a printout of what the new pension amount was, for that time period. Then I would go to VAC with the new numbers and request a recalculation. you may lose out on some, but certainly not $36000, for a $18000 cheque.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Thu 02 Oct 2014, 19:11

Prawnstar,

Do not spend that money unless dire. Don't touch it. DND vs, CPPd. vs VAC? Pretty warped game of volleyball to be bouncing around what was given to you.
I haven't dealt with that kind of sit. Perhaps others on csat have... for advice.

Just my 2 cents prawnster but it could be a " pecking order "... Of who pays who for what. I would hold those three departments to account, they are GOC,
They work for us and they should be professional, and knowledgeable. I would press each department one by one very methodically until I got something
concrete (AND IN WRITING). then I might use that money.

Because, paybacks really are a son of a bee. pinger.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar Thu 02 Oct 2014, 18:20

I have received 18k from CPPD. I notified DND pension and VAC ELB. I have gotten two letters back both saying I been over payed by 18k. So where do I go from here. VAC says they don't know what DND does and DND says they don't know what VAC does and CPP knows nothing of both. So confused. Do I owe them both 18k?

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Aug 2014, 16:36

no problem prawn glad to help.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Aug 2014, 21:26

Great to hear news like this prawnstar.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifleman Sat 23 Aug 2014, 20:28

Congrats prawn

Rifleman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar Sat 23 Aug 2014, 19:17

OK, at the end of the day I should getting the same $$ monthly. Thanks Propat

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Aug 2014, 17:55

prawn its different depending on your pension but if you have a 20 year pension they will reduce it probably between 3 and 400 buck so say 350 and you will be close. ELB will add that 350 back on to your CPPD then subtract the amount of your CPPD.

hope this helps

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Sat 23 Aug 2014, 12:26

That's GREAT prawnstar! Way to go! If you are longer term ELB they will dock dollar for dollar. Not sure about CFSA, or PA... my memory is fracked.
But hey, with your approval you put the brakes on CRA from stealing your regular CPP at 65. Cheers!!! pinger.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Aug 2014, 11:58

I know ELB will reduce dollar for dollar what you get for cppd and your cf pension will also be reduced

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar Sat 23 Aug 2014, 11:19

Got a call yesterday with some good news. I have been approved for CPPD. So I know what I have to do now but who takes what from that? Does CFSA take half and ELB takes half?

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Mon 18 Aug 2014, 20:31

Interesting topic / thought

It IS good to learn (one is never too old), or to be reminded. Don't know about CF pension implications as I do not have one, but paramount it should be to those who do.
It was a years back when it dawned on me my PA pension does NOT impact my regular CPP when I hit 65. And CPPd will only preserve the latter loggie.

Tying in a curious question though... what level of government could possibly effect or have an a impact on a PA pension? CRA or tax arrears? Not for PA I assume. ELB? No. PIA? A deadbeat mom or dad Sad I would almost hope so... what about bankruptcy? Crime... probably.

I am just throwing this bone out there to help someone... never know who it might hit.

What's the implications of what's taxed and what is not...? What government dept. is in cahoots with whose and related with what. Sorry for rambling, but I think you get the gist.

Given this day and age? ACVA, committee's, commissions, reviews, recommendations, ad nauseum, I don't anticipate the goc tight wads to bake any of us a flippin' cake any time soon.
Here's hoping the goc does not amalgamate the NVC plus the PA into an abortion (bend over), rather the best of both... and ELB for life would help many of us NOW, not later.

Just speaking out... pinger.

pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by loggie Mon 18 Aug 2014, 15:46

Great to learn so much thanks to all. REALLY appreciated

loggie
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Aug 2014, 11:48

prawn your CF pension will be reduced a little from the date your CPPD payment start date on ie; the start date for your retro if any. it will not be reduced  any further at 65. to the best of my knowledge OAS does not effect your CF pension at all whether it starts for you at age 65, 66, or 67.

hope this helps

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next