Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Myth Busting the New Veterans Charter Lump Sum Payment

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Myth Busting the New Veterans Charter Lump Sum Payment Empty Re: Myth Busting the New Veterans Charter Lump Sum Payment

Post by Guest Mon 18 Aug 2014, 17:28

Jeffery no its not buds its like water torture but the world will turn.

propat

Back to top Go down

Myth Busting the New Veterans Charter Lump Sum Payment Empty Re: Myth Busting the New Veterans Charter Lump Sum Payment

Post by Jeffery M Mon 18 Aug 2014, 14:06

Justice will prevail. And I suppose waiting for the rest of my compensation will have taught me something....at this point I'm only seeing a lesson in patience...and it is no fun

Jeffery M
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2012-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 18 Aug 2014, 08:51

Trooper, you are correct that they merely had to introduce additional benefits, or modify existing benefits, under the Pension Act, it would have satisfied many of it's detractors, like modify the rules of the EIA, to something like the PIA, and take over the LTD plan from SISIP, instead of creating a mirrored program. The main reason that I believe this wasn't done though, is that all benefits under the PA are tax free.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Aug 2014, 08:13

yes buds eventually they will the case is a good one and winnable . im no lawyer but I would have preferred this case be framed as a discrimination case and brought to the human rights tribunal as it is my belief that would be a slam dunk but im sure their is a good reason for this . my opinion this case wins and a return to the monthly pension will be immediately after that.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Aug 2014, 08:04

Thanks propat,

I would like to ask if you agree what I have stated, that the courts will see right through this ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Aug 2014, 07:59

love the post trooper great insight buds.

always question authority

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Aug 2014, 07:25

I would like to respectfully make comments on the following para,

{ In summary, those who believe that the New Veterans Charter should be tossed out and the Pension Act restored as the sole legislative vehicle for Veterans’ programs and benefits forget that had it not been for Veterans’ frustration with the Pension Act, there probably would not be a New Veterans Charter today. Also, the Charter was not brought into being just to replace the lifelong pension of the Pension Act. Its focus is on wellness and facilitating the transition for Veterans and their families from military to civilian life – not just on compensation for pain and suffering, as was the case with the Pension Act. }

If in fact that by Veterans who were frustrated with the pension act, and by simply addressing and or challenging the act to better the act resulted in the implementing of the NVC, if this turns out to be the case, even if it only was a contributing factor, in my view would not be fair, and or justifiable.
We must always invite those who want to challenge the act, it is simply just a way of doing business, it also gives fairness to disable Veterans who are just simply trying to make life a bit more secured, it is not challenged in the form of greed, rather it is just challenged to better the act, not replace it.
By implementing the NVC it may have given new benefits that were challenged, and or asked for in the old act, these new benefits came with a price, and the price is taken away the long term pension.
If the intention is to improve the lives of disable Veterans, one does not have to be well educated to realize that by simply adding these new benefits implemented in the NVC , leaving out the lump sum of course,  into the old pension act, would have without any doubt improved the lives of disable Veterans across this Country, and would have certainly been a welcome improvement.
What has taken place here is a system geared towards  cost cutting measures against the back of disabled Veterans, this system is defined as the NVC.
Perhaps they maybe a number of individuals who disagree, and no matter the argument, will stand behind the NVC, I do not have a problem with that, as that is the way in which they view, and or understand it.

In closing I will say this,

This issue is set to go before the courts, it is in this way we will all finally get the answers we were all asking.
I am going to speculate that the courts will see right through this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Aug 2014, 07:18

Jeffery great post buds keep on keeping on brother.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Aug 2014, 07:17

trooper the the NVC and PA are exactly the same or almost exactly the same depending on your situation with the exception of the buyout VS the monthly pension . the math is all in the buyout VS the month. the buyout is worth aprox 9.25 years of the monthly not counting for cola witch is recived in the monthly but not for the buyout. so im guessing you have my answers .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Aug 2014, 07:06

big rex you are right of course but but I have to add that the focus on the severely disabled is lip service alone as the vast majority of the severely disabled  that actually receive ANY compensation receive the lowest level of monthly compensation . and how many of the SEVERLY disabled vets receive the highest level???   FOUR !!!!!! makes me sick!!!!

IN PRACTICE the real focus of the NVC is to save money!!!!

ALWAYS QUESTION ATHORITY

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeffery M Mon 18 Aug 2014, 00:06

Well I suppose I couldn't stay away forever. Still dealing with all the lovely garbage that PTSD gives each day. PTSD...terrible name. Anyone can have Post Traumatic Stress...your mom dies from complications of cancer; ulcer. The latest new chemotherapy treatment. You blame yourself cause you didn't stop her from the risky drugs.
I know what I have. PTSD is just a polite word.no one wants to here what it really is. Shock. It's bloody shock. Shell shock, IED shock, extended beyond extended gun battle shock, LAV 3 too close cannon firing shock, watching your peer bleed out to death shock..
8 years, and my body is still reeling. Shock. Just when you think to let your guard down...forget it. You know those tremors you feeling inside? The irregular heart beat you get? Yeah that's right..  
You know, the idea of receiving a capped one time payment, even spread out over a few years, don't jive with modern day heroes. If I for example were to not know myself well enough, I'd have attempted...attempted to have found employment. And then had given up. Given up on myself.
The reason a pension works is because it is sustainable. A lump sum is not. Impossible. Why is it that we have 2 current systems? Is it to prove how unequal we are?? Will then, the current PA recipients for go their PA pensions for a sum? Please do......well?...I'm waiting...
If you are the guy. Yes the guy who is trying to figure out how pay your rent this month, because your lump sum has run it's time out, and you were just fired from your job, for uttering threats, please...please ask the lump sum gods why!! Why did you run out lump sum? Why?
It's a lonely road to take, when you do it alone.

Last edited by Jeffery M on Mon 18 Aug 2014, 00:15; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wording)

Jeffery M
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2012-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 17 Aug 2014, 20:19

I think that the biggest flaw in the NVC, is the focus on only the most severely disabled. There a lot of Veterans who are only "moderately disabled" according to VAC, that have difficulty finding and maintaining suitable employment. They may not have reached the magical number set by VAC to get access to any of these benefits, such as PIA and extended ELB, but they still have to live the rest of their lives with these disabilities. With the PA, or a similar lifelong pension under the NVC, they could at least count on that money for financial stability, because currently, unless you are severely disabled, THERE IS NO ONGOING MONTHLY FINANCIAL SUPPORT!
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Aug 2014, 19:07

Well unless someone can prove that the NVC is more beneficial than the old system,
you can show me all the charts, you can compare the old with the new,
but at the end of the day, proof is needed.
What would make me look twice is if a good number of vets on the old system,
would come out and praise the NVC.
So far I have not seen that.

Yes, the NVC has ELB, and the ones on the old system have the SISIP LTD,
both which are taxed.

On the old system we have the VIP which can add up to a good Monthly income which is tax free.

Take a look at a Veterans earned tax free pension income for a period of 20 years,
who is on the old system, take into account that the Veteran is at 100%,
and is also receiving the VIP, add in the cola for those 20 years.
Take note of the total.

Now take a look at the total allowable payout for the lump sum,
then add in the other benefits allowable for the NVC.

Now compare the two amounts, keeping in mind that the Veteran
who is on the old system, pension will only increase with the cola
going forward.  

Now you tell me which is better, the old, or the new ?

P.S Please don't post your numbers you have come out with,
     just in case the rod poster is watching,
     don't want to get em upset.

Myth Busting the New Veterans charter is better than the old system.

Q: True or False ?

A: ?

Myth Busting the soul purpose the NVC was implemented was to outperform the old system, so that the disable Veteran would have more financial security.

Q; True or False ?

Myth Busting the New Veterans Charter since implemented has been embraced by most disabled Veterans.

Q: True or False ?

Myth Busting those who support and show the claimed benefits of the NVC have proven to be successful in their claim.

Q: True or False

Right or wrong, this is my own opinion on the matter, I am exercising my freedom of speech.
So if any disagree feel free to exercise your freedom of speech.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Aug 2014, 21:38

I like the first one but this one is really less than helpful as it seems he is really taking issue with those that think a monthly NVC pension is a good thing and he seems to be pulling a fantino by throwing the numbers around like he does using maximums .

oh here is that CBC report ya probably seen this but their is some numbers their for you if you haven't.

Only four of Canada's 521 severely wounded Canadian veterans might be eligible to receive up $10,000 per month in allowances and benefits under the Conservative government's beefed-up veteran's charter.

Veterans Affairs Minister Julian Fantino recently cited the dollar figure to illustrate the Conservative government's generosity towards ex-service members.

However, statistics released by his own department show payments of that size would be rare indeed — and maybe even purely theoretical.

The remaining 92 per cent of veterans who receive payments — the permanent impairment allowance, the permanent impairment supplement and the earnings loss benefit — collect far less each month.

The $10,000 figure also includes the monthly Canadian Forces pension, a payment that's made whether a soldier was injured or not.

Calculating precise amounts can be a head-spinning exercise, given the cross-section of benefits, stipends and supplementary payments available to all veterans.

Asked how many wounded soldiers receive anything close to $10,000 per month, department officials would only say the figure represents a "scenario" of a severely wounded major released after 27 years of service and that four soldiers receive the top tier of allowances.

© The Canadian Press, 2014
The Canadian Press

propat

Last edited by propat on Fri 15 Aug 2014, 21:56; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : opps cut off the top part sory)

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Fri 15 Aug 2014, 21:27

propat that pretty little VAC chart is why the OVO is doing the series of blogs to show the truth behind the pretty little VAC chart.

I take this first blog to be for the vets/vet orgs who are screaming about bringing the PA back that the monthly payments are there and better then the PA.

I'm hoping the next blogs by Guy explain the difficulty of getting to the levels of benefits/money for the severely disabed vets.

I wouldn't mind seeing actual numbers of clients on each level of PIA, PIA Supplement, EELB etc in one of Guy's blogs.

Next week's blogs are hopefully as interesting as the first two!
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next