Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Myth Busting Veterans Access to New Veterans Charter Lifetime Monthly Benefits

4 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Myth Busting Veterans Access to New Veterans Charter Lifetime Monthly Benefits - Page 2 Empty Re: Myth Busting Veterans Access to New Veterans Charter Lifetime Monthly Benefits

Post by Guest Tue 19 Aug 2014, 15:22

What is the reason behind the rule stating if you have or are collecting EIA you can't collect PIA or the supplement . You should at least beagle to collect the supplement

Back to top Go down

Myth Busting Veterans Access to New Veterans Charter Lifetime Monthly Benefits - Page 2 Empty Re: Myth Busting Veterans Access to New Veterans Charter Lifetime Monthly Benefits

Post by Jeffery M Tue 19 Aug 2014, 14:05

The buyout should come with a waiver.

Jeffery M
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2012-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeffery M Tue 19 Aug 2014, 14:03

It's clear as day to me that the GOC brought in the NVC as a way to put a lump sum of cash into the hands of veterans that SHOULD have been receiving monthly tax free dollars all along. Mental health has finally caught up with all of us. Indeed veterans of previous generations are due compensation. Buyouts for those that WANT them, and Pensions for those that PREFER them.

Jeffery M
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeffery M Tue 19 Aug 2014, 13:53

The 2 compensation systems work best together. And being bought out is real problem here. A few complained that they wanted the buyout!? Why?? Was it because they took 30 years to come forward to VAC?? They would have said something like..."I'm 72 now, and $5200/month tax-free for the rest of my life now doesn't work for me. Maybe it works for Afghanistan combat veterans, bad so what. I want a lump sum because I'm dying and want to enjoy the next 12 months."

Jeffery M
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Tue 19 Aug 2014, 13:41

Hi all,

Was reading Mr. Parent's blog. I'm a case in point alright... more like an odd duck waddling around the bottom of his bar graphs.

I am TPI, but not PIA'd. Maybe I'll send him a copy of my PIA denial letter as it co-incides with some of his points.
In the the least I'm an interesting read for him, at best it may help him help others amongst us somehow.

He wrote...  "
Almost 50 percent of Veterans, who Veterans Affairs Canada determines to be totally and permanently incapacitated, are not receiving the Permanent Impairment Allowance (PIA) and/or the Permanent Impairment Allowance Supplement (PIAS). The reasons for this situation are not entirely clear because Veterans Affairs Canada does not track why totally and permanently incapacitated Veterans are not receiving the benefits. Approximately 100 of these Veterans are in receipt of the Exceptional Incapacity Allowance (EIA) provided under the Pension Act and, therefore, are not eligible for the PIA and the PIAS. However, we also know that some Veterans may not be eligible for these benefits because their conditions do not satisfy the current definition of permanent and severe impairment."   My highlights, and joining them together brings me clarity.

I could probably meet PIA criteria required but in hindsight it would take away the independance I have left, guess I'm just stubborn. Self-worth comes to mind... and that's a biggie.

Hey teen, I understand what you say... i.e. a VAC facade for joe and jane Canadian as opposed to the reality of hoops and hurdles we face for access.
Here are two example of the latter and / or ones definition or understanding.
1 -   "suitable gainful employment".
2 -   "a permanent and severe impairment"
Those two phrases are EXTREMELY relevant whether you accept them or... not. pinger.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 19 Aug 2014, 11:40

well teen it might just be my opinion and maybe its off I guess im not the brightest bunny in the woods but I keep reading it over and over and I keep seeing someone that is opposed to ending the buyout and using these charts and examples to back that up. I don't see the tongue and cheek in it .

he uses ELB ,PIA and supplement as examples of why the buyout as opposed to the monthly pension should not be the sole calculation between the two systems and then throws out these chart examples. what he fails to mention is that PA recipients are able to access these programs as well. witch of cores would mean the buyout vs the monthly IS the sole calculator between the two programs.

why did he leave that out????

well I can only speculate so I will refrain at this time.

but I will say I don't believe its because he had no knowledge of that fact.

im sorry I disagree with him on the subject but ya see im not that bad off I cant see right from wrong at least I hope not.

it seems to me that a great many support the buyout in some form but it also seems to me that they have not been bought out.

yup some for the fist 1-3 years thought it was good but now well lets just say not so much anymore.

well you see the result. disabled vets having to sue their own government over this and as trooper stated a judge will see through this.

its in the courts hands now.

always question authority

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Tue 19 Aug 2014, 10:53

propat I took the charts used by the OVO as a tongue in cheek gesture towards VAC.

Like you said the OVO put truth and numbers on their chart where VAC's was full of "possbilities".

Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 19 Aug 2014, 09:05

ya teen im not sure we are missing the point the 1st and 3rd are doing just what you say and that is great . even the second does a little is well . but it is the second some take exception with. ya see he is infusing reality just simple facts on the ground to show that all these charts and examples are not reality.

then in the second article he uses these very same charts with his own example's from them to take exception with those that would like an end to the buyout.

this is very plain to see for jane/joe Canadian and some of those might think that using them to his own end but saying when the GOC uses them its not reality may be a little disingenuous and even hypocritical .

either way it will be up to the NVC vets themselves to fight this on their own something they knew from day one.

and they are doing that as we speak good for them .

END THE BUYOUT NOW!!!

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeffery M Tue 19 Aug 2014, 00:46

I have no idea what I ate for lunch yesterday. Or what I have or have not reminded my spouse to do. My short term memory is garbage. But them battles...wow. I could paint a bright vivid book in full colour detail.

Jeffery M
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeffery M Tue 19 Aug 2014, 00:43

Pretty intense stuff. I can see why Mr. Parent shaves his head. Too many greys. On a serious note, he is a great reporter. Astonished I'm in small company when it come to receiving PIA and PIAS. In fact, most of us escaped with our lives by sheer fluke. With G-wagons we faired extremely well, thanks to bullet proof glass. So many close calls to have RPGs glancing off LAV 3 turrets. Perhaps Allah was on our side those many frightening battles.

Jeffery M
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Mon 18 Aug 2014, 22:05

Gents I think you are missing the point...

Last week VAC used a pretty chart of 4 injured vets. VAC was showing that this is what a severely injured vet gets in that chart.

What the OVO just proved is VAC's attempt to show Jane/Joe Canadian that all vets are being taken care of is pure bullshyte!!!

The OVO is not trying to sell the NVC or the PA to vets and the public. What they are trying to do in these blogs is show that the NVC has too many hoops, hurdles and red tape for a severely injured vet to go through to get some piece of financial stability.

What veteran organizations have to take away from these reports, actuarial's, and comparisons of the NVC and PA is this...the OVO is giving the ammo to them to go after VAC to loosen the reins and stop acting like a feckn' insurance company.

Veterans have given their quality of life for Canada and it's time for Canada to be fair and give the veterans and their families some financial stability for their future.

Remember the OVO is neutral...they are not trying to sway the public or veterans. A NDP or Liberal gov't could get voted in in 2015 it doesn't matter to the OVO they will continue to be neutral in their research. The OVO is showing that fair treatment towards veterans is not happening.

It's time for all of us to put the pressure on VAC and which ever political party is in charge to be fair in adjudicating a veterans injuries as per the guidelines set out in the NVC and the PA.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Mon 18 Aug 2014, 21:00

Trooper. At the end of the day I hope and pray the courts have an unbiased and unwavering sense of smarts / integrity. Apolitical and nonpartisan. Here's really hoping because I love Canada. pinger.

Last edited by pinger on Mon 18 Aug 2014, 21:15; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Aug 2014, 19:54

right on the mark trooper smoke and mirrors . show em one thing while they are doing something else right under your nose. ya gotta hand it to them though they really know how to spin a good yarn. the courts will figure this out and bring back equality.

eventually ( off topic ) they will end the CPP bridge effect as well .

but that will be another fight.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Aug 2014, 18:34

I do believe that the reason behind why many disabled Veterans cannot access lifetime Monthly allowances is simply because the NVC
was designed in such a way that would make it appear as though it was superior than the old pension act,
and anyone who questions the merits of the NVC would be responded to by the so call
supporters with what they would refer to as the newly implemented superior benefits , regardless of the number of disable Veterans
who would actually end up having access to these superior benefits.
In other words it is ammo for the supporters in defending the NVC.

These questions that were raised by various Veteran groups outlining the problems with the NVC included this very issue.
Each time and issue  was challenged, the defenders would point out examples of  how these new benefits are far superior
than the old act, by stating what is now available, yes available, but to who ?
However they failed to provide the actual numbers as to how many Veterans will actually have access to these benefits.
So yes looks good on paper, but fools no one, especially the disable Veteran who does not have access to it.

So I do believe that those who made the arguments against the NVC were in fact right in their arguments,
however I do not believe that they have convinced the supporters of the problems that they see in the NVC, in their arguments.

So now it is in the courts hands, the courts will decide who is right, and who is wrong, and act accordingly on it"s decision.

So I think we are gone pass the stage of who is right, and who is wrong, both sides have their own arguments to bring up upon the courts.
We should allow the courts to do what they do best, and that's to make a decision.

However I think that we should continue to discuss it, as this could only prove to help us understand it better.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Aug 2014, 17:49

well this one seems to be a lot more constructive than the last will be looking for the next tomorrow . thanks teen.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next