Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What can Veterans expect from the Liberal Majority Government

+7
BinRat
rucksack031
Teentitan
bigrex
Kramer
Dannypaj
11 posters

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

What can Veterans expect from the Liberal Majority Government - Page 7 Empty Re: What can Veterans expect from the Liberal Majority Government

Post by Guest Fri 23 Oct 2015, 14:15

Good point there Bin Rat ,

Bureaucrats , we've seen it all before , they get caught up in saying this is the only way it can be done which we all know is bull.

We will see what happens but what I think - or hope should be done is that JT gives specific orders to our MVA to fulfill their promise to Veterans period.
The MVA cannot fall pray to individuals who for whatever reasons comes out saying that this is the only way it can be done , the MVA has to be firm on his or her directions , the directions have to be precise , get er done period.
Those incompetent bureacrat individuals have to pushed aside without hesitation , the MVA has to be in full control of his or her mandate , any one bureaucrat who cannot comprehend or does not have the ability to understand how to get it done in the way it is written from the platform , has to be again , pushed aside.
We don't want to see a weak MVA , we don't need a weak MVA , we need one who understands how to get the job done period.
Bureaucrats , not all , but some can turn a good thing into a bad thing real quick.

Last edited by trooper on Fri 23 Oct 2015, 17:17; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

What can Veterans expect from the Liberal Majority Government - Page 7 Empty Re: What can Veterans expect from the Liberal Majority Government

Post by BinRat Fri 23 Oct 2015, 12:27

I don't think it really matters who name is top of the chain, Justin himself could take it, but doesn't mean changes will be done if we still have the same senior beauricrates (sp) in the department that may or may not do it the way he wants it done.

As we've been finding out, they seem to interpret everything differently then the way it was written and meant to be interpreted as.

And the people who they hire who go oh yes I was a CFO of company bla bla bla I can run VAC..
And yes that's how they are running it as a BUSINESS.
The insurance model business, so unless they can make those changes things will still be a bitch to get.

BinRat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Oct 2015, 10:51

ya never really looked at it from the angle of a female bringing in this thing in the first place .

food for thought.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 23 Oct 2015, 10:46

He could name McCrimmon as MVA, just to fix the NVC, to make up for the fact that is was a female Liberal MP that brought in the NVC in the first place. Basically we need a strong MP, who could easily fill a higher profile cabinet position, but chooses the MVA position, because they want to correct everything that is wrong within the department. JT says that he is working on all of his promises, which is possible. He could of had people working on draft legislation since making the promises. The existing legislation is publicly available, so it wouldn't be hard for them to write up the draft legislation, to make the appropriate changes. After all, since part of the promise was to have it done this fiscal year, they would probably want to introduce the bill before the Christmas break, and the best way to do that, is to have it already written up. They could have been working on it for months, fine tuning it, getting it reviewed by party lawyers, ensuring they got it right.

Plan for the best, but be prepared for the worst. In this case, the best was winning, and the worst was the Tories winning, in which case it could still be introduced as an opposition bill.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Oct 2015, 08:35

ya not sure he would want MND at this time sure something he will want eventually when the climate is better but then again it would be a hard one to pass up . forging affairs I think is a stretch that's a fracking big one im sure he would be all over that if offered just don't see it in the cards for him anytime soon .

MVA not really a highly sought after cabinet post but if the liberal are planning on actually doing what they say they are doing WOW . if I were any MP looking for political advancement id be begging to get that job.

what a way to make a good name for yourself all over the country before you pad your jacket with some of the more senior cabinet posts .

what a way to step in to the MND post after straightening things out in the MVA post . yup JT handcuffed himself a but with the female thing but im still thinkin is still his for the asking and hed be nuts not to take it unless of course he knows something we don't .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Oct 2015, 07:22

Andrew Leslie as Defence Minister?

Not surprisingly, one of the most discussed questions these days in the halls of National Defence headquarters is centered on who will become the new Minister of National Defence.

There’s been a lot of speculation that it could be Andrew Leslie. Leslie has served as an advisor to Liberal leader Justin Trudeau. And he was one of the first of the “star” candidates to be recruited. So the thinking is that he will be rewarded with a Cabinet position, of some kind.

Leslie has been tight-lipped about his prospects. He was repeatedly asked on election night whether he would be made defence minister.

“I’d be honoured to serve in any further capacity as Mr. Trudeau might direct,” Leslie kept saying. “But right now, it’s too early to say and I’m focused right here.”

Does it make sense to name Leslie as defence minister? Some Liberals don’t believe so….they point out that the last general to be named defence minister (Gord O’Connor under the Conservatives) was pretty much a washout. There was talk about infighting and battles between O’Connor and the senior military leadership.

But that doesn’t preclude Leslie for another Cabinet posting, say Foreign Affairs or Public Safety.

The other scenario is that with a large number of veteran Liberals and other star candidates Leslie might not get a Cabinet position this time around. Maybe a parliamentary secretary position or maybe nothing.

Other names of Liberal MPs that have surfaced for the position of defence minister include Marc Garneau, a former navy officer, and astronaut and Bill Blair, the former Toronto police chief.

Joan Bryden of the Canadian Press points out that the Cabinet will have to attain geographic, linguistic, ethnic and gender balance. “Trudeau has complicated his task by committing to a relatively small cabinet that boasts an equal number of men and women,” Bryden writes.

Besides the star candidates, there are the veteran members of previous Liberal governments to consider, including Ralph Goodale, John McCallum, Judy Foote, Joyce Murray, Stephane Dion, Judy Sgro, Scott Brison, Dominic LeBlanc, Wayne Easter and Lawrence MacAulay, Bryden writes.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/andrew-leslie-as-defence-minister

Back to top Go down

Post by 6608 Thu 22 Oct 2015, 21:03

Trooper, I think your right on Leslie and defense minister (i also think its a sort of get even thing for being skipped over for CDS) lots of veterans to choose from though for MVA.

Cheer’s
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 337
Registration date : 2012-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Oct 2015, 20:19

lol yup im with you wildthing .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Oct 2015, 20:18

im thinkin sajjan gets a seat regardless this is a riding appointment if there ever was one . not sure about MVA thou but im sure he has to be considered for it .

a lot of important ridings in Ontario BC and Quebec are going to require cabinet positions . only so many positions to hand out and im unsure of the importance of mcrimmons riding but im thinking and hoping that all political and other side considerations are not going to be a factor for the selection of this specific position as it normally isn't for finance minister.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Oct 2015, 20:03

Is there an MP who tried to get benefits, I want that person!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Oct 2015, 19:41

As well as retired Lt. Gen Andrew Leslie as a candidate for MVA  there is also  retired Lt. Col Harjit Sajjan, who is the first Sikh to command a Canadian Army regiment ~ he unseated his Conservative opponent in the riding of Vancouver South.  Harjit Sajjan did three tours in Afghanistan.

As for a female contender for MVA,  retired Lt. Col Karen McCrimmon who won in her Ottawa area riding of Kanata–Carleton, is another MP who has a 31-year career in the military.  Karen McCrimmon was the first woman in Canada to qualify as an air navigator and the first to command an air force squadron. She served in Afghanistan, the Balkans and the first Gulf War.

It is also my understanding that the PM is going to have a 50 - 50 split of men and women for his cabinet so it will be interesting who he selects for MVA.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Oct 2015, 19:34

ya trooper I think so not just Leslie but other important smart people with bigger political aspiration's as well would be a good indicator .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Oct 2015, 18:23

When I first saw the CBC interview with Leslie speaking on the Liberals Veterans platform , I was of the impression that he , Mr. Leslie would become our MVA if the Liberals were to win the election....now that they have won....Looking further into Mr. Leslie's background  
he has family who served as defense ministers in the past which includes his father.
This info changed my view somewhat in him being our MVA , not saying he won't , just making me a bit unsure if he will actually be our new MVA.

I know on one interview with Trudeau he is already saying publicly that he has started working on all of his promises which I think is great , an like I already said , the new MVA already knows their position an I'm sure he - or she is working on what promises were made to Veterans.

I do agree with you propat in stating that if it is Leslie who becomes our new MVA , it may be an indicator that all will be good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Oct 2015, 17:18

actually there are a lot of good choices and a crapload of political factors to think about when picking ministers .

in the end I don't really think its an open post I think its leslies if he wants it.

that's kind of why im watching it closely .

if the libs are going to follow through on their promises AS THE WORDED THEM this cabinet position will greatly further the political carer of anyone that takes it .

if not it will be a place where political carers go to die as it was with the tories .

if leslie takes it it may just be an indicator that all will be good .

if it goes to someone on the bottom of the list of possible cabinet ministers or someone not on the list at all that could be a bad sighn of things to come .

JMO

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Oct 2015, 16:55

I realize will know soon enough , but any Ideas on who our new MVA will be ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next