Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kent Hehr pledges to fix “overlooked” and “bungled” treatment of vets

+16
Brasidas
prawnstar
chillier76
Slaket
Sapper Zodiak
Recon031
johnny211
rucksack031
czerv
Teentitan
Rifleman
Kramer
bigrex
BinRat
Dannypaj
pinger
20 posters

Page 36 of 37 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

Go down

Kent Hehr pledges to fix “overlooked” and “bungled” treatment of vets - Page 36 Empty Re: Kent Hehr pledges to fix “overlooked” and “bungled” treatment of vets

Post by Guest Sun 08 Nov 2015, 13:18

well Riddick you are right but you probably realise after 10 years patients is at a bit of a premium right now lol. I do hope he is given a bit of latitude .

propat

Back to top Go down

Kent Hehr pledges to fix “overlooked” and “bungled” treatment of vets - Page 36 Empty Re: Kent Hehr pledges to fix “overlooked” and “bungled” treatment of vets

Post by Kramer Sun 08 Nov 2015, 13:14

I believe we need to be patient as right now pretty much is just speculation, however I will make a prediction and say; he will be the most approachable MVA. Like others, he still has the PM, but I will also say he will be given more latitude...... JMO

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 672
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Nov 2015, 13:04

sounds the same . still don't see any difference .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Nov 2015, 12:57

No I don't believe what I wrote is the same.....the PA pension is broken down into different categories which one part - or one category of it is the pension portion part of that PA pension.
This pension portion part of it is I believe what their talking about when they say reinstate the lifelong pension.
At least that's my understanding of it.
Therefor if I'm right bringing back - or reinstating the lifelong pension doesn't necessarily mean reinstating the PA pension as a whole.
It could very well mean only that a certain part of the PA pension which in itself is a lifelong tax free pension.
This would be more inline when comparing the lump sums to offering a reinstatement of the lifelong pension.

So no I don't believe they will bring back - or offer the PA pension , but more then likely would reinstate the pension portion of the PA pension which is lifelong an tax free.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Nov 2015, 11:49

not exactly sure what you are getting at trooper but it seems you are saying pretty much the same thing I am .

im I correct .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Nov 2015, 11:31

I think the easiest an most simple way of doing this would be to take the exact same process of what the PA offers in terms of the assessment process of that Pa pension looking only at the ( PENSION PORTION ONLY ) of that pension.
This way those with a lower than %100 assessment can continue to apply for in increase in their assessment as their condition - or
conditions worsen.
Those how to mechanisms are already in place for all to see , an in my view the only difficulty they would encounter would be their own lack of understanding the old act itself which would I think show them making things seem more difficult then they really are.
I cannot see them taxing this in any way shape or form as the other option of taking the lump sum is tax free an further to this the lifelong pension from the old act which they refer to when they say reinstate the lifelong pension is tax free.
Taxing this would be challenged to the highest degree an taxing this would also be counterproductive in making it fair in comparison to the old pension act.

As far as those who have already received funds from taking lump sums , this again is not all that difficult to address , numerous ways this can be handled without making it more difficult then it really is.

This is the way I see it , an for me it's not as much the time it takes in getting it done , it's getting it done is what matters.

But there's always someone or something that makes those bumps in the road , to me it's only as difficult as they make it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Sun 08 Nov 2015, 08:15

Always interesting when they change some functions in My VAC account.
This is a message posted on the VAC site.
Upcoming changes to My VAC Account
On November 17, 2015, there will be updates to My VAC Account. These updates will change the way the site looks and how you move around within it. You will still be able to do everything you can do now, and any documents you have saved or submitted will not change. We look forward to a smooth transition and will provide you with more information when the site is updated.

Thank you for using My VAC Account.

Last edited by Dannypaj on Sun 08 Nov 2015, 19:27; edited 1 time in total
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Nov 2015, 07:28

ya if they make a whole new benefit that is in some way eqivelent to the PA it could take a while and turn into a real mess .

the best way to do this thing as I see it is just offer THEE PA pention as an option .

one line added to the NVC will accomplish this going forward .

maybe another line to cover the guys who have already been screwed with a line added to the PA as well .

that's it boys that's all it takes .

then they truly are reinstating the pension exactly the way it is .

simple easy fast.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 07 Nov 2015, 22:32

The lump sum will not be that large. Maybe 10% larger than the current amount offered. The thing is, those that take the lump sum, do it because they are either older and would rather get money now, because you never know how many years they may be around, or gainfully employed, and do not need the financial security offered by taking a monthly pension. Currently the lump sum amount equals roughly 10 years worth of monthly payments. So if you're already making 60K a year, and you don't need that extra few hundred from a 5-10% pension, why not take a lump sum of $20-35K.

Personally, I personally like the idea of offering both, not either or. Meaning that the Veteran would have the chance to receive X number of years monthly pensions as a lump sum. Or even a certain percentage of the pension as a lump sum. Kind of like a pay advance. Then, after the lump sum amount is paid off, the monthly pension starts. Example, a Veteran is granted a 50% pension,equaling $2000/per month. The Veteran would then have the option of taking up to 100% of the monthly pension, for up to 5 years, as a lump sum. So if the vet chooses to take half of it for 5 years, as a lump sum, he would get an immediate cheque for $60000, to pay off bills or whatever. They would then still get the remainder on a monthly basis, increased by COLA, calculated based on the entire $2000. This would allow for veterans to make those big ticket purchases, like a down payment on a new home, but still provide them with the knowledge that there will be money in the bank at the end of every month. Then after 5 years, the pension amount is boosted to the full entitled amount.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Nov 2015, 21:01

It is going to be a mess 100% is 38 k peryear lets say 30 years for a 30 year old is going to be over 1mil still going to be less than pa because that person may live till 80 some years old still going to come up short by over 700k and what would the lump sum look like 2mil not a chance. the only way to have equality is reinstate PA that should have never been taken away in the first place.I see a gaggle "F" coming up in our future and more fighting. injury allowance is not taxed so tax should not even be considered by GOC. This is going to be interesting to see what they try to shove in our face as a consolation prize.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 07 Nov 2015, 19:58

The thing is wild thing, they are NOT reinstating the PA. They said that they are reinstating a life long disability pension, with the option to take a lump sum that is larger than currently offered. We are hoping that this new pension offered under the NVC, is identical as the ones offered under the pension act, but until we see the legislation, we can only hope. It would only make sense that it would be the same, because it would be weird having some veterans getting their disability pension tax free, and others getting their equivalent benefit taxed. Especially considering that there are Veterans out there getting percentages of their overall disability pension from both pieces of legislation.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Nov 2015, 19:08

The part that worries me is no mention of PA from anyone. It would not burn their tongue off to say were going to reinstate the PA asap.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Nov 2015, 17:40

What I would like to see from Mr. Hehr is to show that he is a person who is not influenced by others , in other words he sets out the plan an has his staffers write up the plan the way that reflects that plan , I hope he is a man that gets the job done regardless of negative inputs from the bureaucrats.
We have all seen this to often where the bureaucrats change things the way they want an sometimes stray away from the main goal , we need an MVA who stands up to them an dictates to them in completing the task given to them in sticking with the main plan.
Nothing wrong with being a nice guy but sometimes in politics in order to get things done , an done right , it may mean being not so nice.
But your all correct it's early in the game an so far from the limited info we got thus far from him is not looking all that bad.

Remembrance Day is Wednesday , I'm sure Mr. Hehr is going to be front an center , this would be a good time for Mr. Hehr to address that he will be implementing all of the promises made to Veterans from their own platform.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Nov 2015, 20:25

Thanks Dannypaj ~ all signs are pointing in the right direction.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Fri 06 Nov 2015, 17:27

Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 36 of 37 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37  Next