Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disability Tax Credit

+21
1993firebird
PGV
rucksack031
sabrelove
Recon031
Teentitan
pinger
Rifleman
Dove96
dzanzio
bulldozer
derngt
beleaf67
Sapper Zodiak
bigrex
peep
ceedee
Nemo
froggie2u36
puddleduk2
RCN-Retired
25 posters

Page 2 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

Disability Tax Credit - Page 2 Empty Re: Disability Tax Credit

Post by Guest Thu 26 Nov 2015, 16:09

great tip Robbie.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Nov 2015, 14:14

Here is a fact, if and when you get your DTC you will need to submitt a T1 Adjustment for your spouse and retain any unused tax credits my better half recieved over 7,000 in unused tax credits

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieD Sun 25 Oct 2015, 00:33

Thanks for the information everyone, glad I found this forum. I actually called CRA and they kindly told me to write that short letter (exactly as rucksack031 posted) and send it off to the Sudbury DTC unit, which I did. Now will go open the RDSP this coming week. Again thank you!.

Just a quick note, CRA told me next year they will stop sending out checks. Direct deposits will be mandatory.

DonnieD
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2015-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar Sun 18 Oct 2015, 20:16

I think if your Doc para-phrases their own wording as to the requirements to meet their definition of disability that might get them to change their minds.

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Oct 2015, 18:25

ya johnny unfortunately a lot of the time its not what the doc says but how he says it that can frack things up.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Sun 18 Oct 2015, 17:31

I applied and got turned down. did not bother to appeal. I am also TPI, fracked, but I quess
its wording. who knows..
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Oct 2015, 17:22

oh as for the RDSP you will want to be age 49 or younger to do that no application just see your banker if they do it if not there are a lot out their that will and they will sort you right out.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Oct 2015, 17:20

all good info here buds trooper rifleman ruck have all good info as usual .

as for the DTC renewal I got a letter from them saying I needed to reapply long before my last one was up .

of course with that much time I put it aside thinking id get to it later and guess what??

yup YOU GUESSED IT I fracking forgot about it !!!!!

commin on tax time I remembered got it done was still waiting for the answer when I had to file my taxes so put on my return I had an application in and done my taxes as if I had it .

got my acceptance before my tax letter and my taxes came back as expected .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by rucksack031 Sun 18 Oct 2015, 16:49

DonnieD your REF Number is your social insurance number, as soon as cra brings that up it will show that you qualified for DTC.

Now Here is what I sent in to CRA and others did.

I faxed a letter to ATT DISABILITY TAX CENTRE UNIT as follows EX

ATTENTION; Disability Tax Credit Unit DATE month/day/2014
fax# 1-709-754-3416
Social Insurance number
Your Name
Address city/town
street/ postal code
Phone # 123 456 7890

I have recently qualified an am eligible for the Disability Tax Credit.
I would like to have the Adjustment done for the Years 2007- 2014 in your case.

Sincerely
your Name
signature

This was the fastest way most that I know, to get it done.
the Fax # I provided just check on Monday with CRA to ensure its the correct one you.
So fax this brief letter, and attach a copy of your DTC decision.
Ensure you get a receipt showing you sent the fax.

Hopes this helps

rucksack031
rucksack031
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2012-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Oct 2015, 16:24

That's correct I can confirm you can apply the year before , if you wait until 2020 you will probably miss that year for the DTC if approved which then would result in you requesting a reassessment to allow for that credit.
They tell you to re - apply following your last year to let you know you have been approved for 5 years , but it's up to you.

With regards to section C I also can confirm you can ask them to adjust those years in question as per approval letter number , date which you can obtain from speaking with an agent as they can pull your letter up on screen giving you all that info.
The reason for this is that it does not come automatic , in other words they tell you the years which you are entitled too , but it's up to you to request to them that you would like them to adjust those particular years.
It's actually quite simple to do , be prepared for a nice deposit into your account.

BTW congrats always nice to hear when someone gets approved for the DTC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifleman Sun 18 Oct 2015, 16:12

Yes it did work for me but you must make sure you sign the letter for example I put my social insurance number ,printed my name and then signature

Rifleman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieD Sun 18 Oct 2015, 15:08

propat wrote:hey Donny no need to wait for the official letter buds just send it your tax adjustment requests .

here is a link so you can print them off you will need to do one for each year .

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t1-adj/t1-adj-15e.pdf

as for the RDSP furst can ya tell me how old you are ?????

propat

Ok thanks Propat, will do. I'm guessing I need a reference number of sorts from the letter? Guess I'll call cra on monday and start the process. I also read in another thread that it might be possible to fill out one form and in section C, put something like "I would like to request and adjustment from 2007 to 2014 tax years as per my granted DTC. Write the reference number of the letter you received granting you the DTC."
Was this ever confirmed to work?

trooper wrote:propat is correct , you can download - or send for - or go to a post office to obtain your request form (T1 ADJUSTMENT REQUEST)
Once you obtain it you could contact the CRA help line to help you fill it out , the sooner the better.

One piece of advice is that if your last year is in 2019 , I would re - apply in 2018 - or even early 2019.

Another piece of advice I would give to you is the next time you see your doctor ( the doctor who filled out the DTC forms ) ask he or she if they made a photo copy of those completed forms before sending them out , it's always a good Idea to have a copy of those completed forms , for the next time in which you re - apply.  

For DTC you can apply a year before it ends? I was told it will be the 2019 tax year, so when I confirmed with the CRA agent they told me I should reapply in 2020. Please confirm?

Also good advice about the copies but I learned real fast to keep copies of absolutely everything. The doctor that I deal with now always knows to send me copies of everything she fills out.

DonnieD
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Oct 2015, 10:43

propat is correct , you can download - or send for - or go to a post office to obtain your request form (T1 ADJUSTMENT REQUEST)
Once you obtain it you could contact the CRA help line to help you fill it out , the sooner the better.

One piece of advice is that if your last year is in 2019 , I would re - apply in 2018 - or even early 2019.

Another piece of advice I would give to you is the next time you see your doctor ( the doctor who filled out the DTC forms ) ask he or she if they made a photo copy of those completed forms before sending them out , it's always a good Idea to have a copy of those completed forms , for the next time in which you re - apply.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Oct 2015, 08:44

hey Donny no need to wait for the official letter buds just send it your tax adjustment requests .

here is a link so you can print them off you will need to do one for each year .

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t1-adj/t1-adj-15e.pdf

as for the RDSP furst can ya tell me how old you are ?????

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by DonnieD Sat 17 Oct 2015, 22:09

bigrex wrote:I can't remember how long it took either, but it wasn't nearly as long as getting a decision from VAC. What I don't understand about these government agencies, is why do we have keep resubmitting paperwork every few years? I mean, if a doctor tells them that your condition is permanent, that isn't going to change 5 years down the road. I think that the GoC needs to read the definition of permanent.

I can't get over the SISIP LTD, every year my forms get filled out exactly the same way. I am TPI and have been permanently injured since 2006. Such a hassle every year. I get copies of all the doc filled out questionnaires and they almost look identical because their isn't changes to my condition

DonnieD
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next