Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Career Impact Allowance (CIA)

+59
derngt
Iceman
VetWife
propat
daverobitaille@rogers.com
Gunner8
Rubicon
coppers2002
rmsclk
140AESOP
XMedic
SIGS PIGS
sports1977
AirLog
kennyturcotte
sports_1977
armyvet83
red510
Newfie
rmsclk836
Tilap61
Paratrooper
lyonhart
Nemo
By the Bay
Yump5555
frustrated
acerman1234
861Cook
GPO75
Willie
Gardener101
Armygunner
Teager
321HTRCN
Rustytheviking
Dannypaj
abetterway
bosn181
LostTrucker
Newf
tetech
Panserbjørn
1sea0shell33
1993firebird
LawnBoy77777
Vet1234
vaincre
cosmo12
srproctor
Rifleman
Sapper Zodiak
czerv
pinger
johnny211
bigrex
BinRat
Teentitan
63 posters

Page 18 of 47 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 32 ... 47  Next

Go down

Career Impact Allowance (CIA) - Page 18 Empty Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA)

Post by bigrex Fri 21 Jul 2017, 14:21

CIA is now broken down into two seperate qualifying factors. One is the new way, which takes into account sine served, compared to earning capacity. So with with over 25 years served, they would deny you CIA based on that criteria. But the other qualifying factor, is the level of disability and the effect it has on the ADL's. So You could still be approved for CIA, based on the old criteria.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilap61 Fri 21 Jul 2017, 13:59

So if I understand this the right way. Anybody with 25 + years of service can't get CIA right?

Tilap61
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2017-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Armygunner Fri 21 Jul 2017, 10:16

By the Bay wrote:Hello,
I received an envelope in the mail today from VAC. I thought for sure it was going to be a rejection letter for my CIA application. My husband opened the letter and informed me that I was granted a favorable DEC decision based on being permanently disabled. My hubby contacted my case manager via VAC My Account and asked her to submit my CIA supplement application. She called him back this afternoon and told him that she already submitted my CIAS when my DEC was approved a few weeks ago. She went on to say that my CIAS could take up to 18 weeks to be processed and is put on hold until my CIA is approved.

If I am approved for CIA, does anyone know what level I might get?
I joined the military after I graduated from college.
In 2005, I was medically released after serving only 2 years....so that means I still had 23 years left to serve in my career.  
I am unable to pursue any job in my field of study or any job due to being permanently disabled. My Earning capabitily is 0%.  What Grade level would I be classified under! Why does the policy makers make everything so darn complicated?  scratch

Cheers,
By the Bay

Check your "My Vac" account and your CIA should already be listed and at what level.

Armygunner
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2016-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Jul 2017, 06:01

By the Bay wrote:Hello,
I received an envelope in the mail today from VAC. I thought for sure it was going to be a rejection letter for my CIA application. My husband opened the letter and informed me that I was granted a favorable DEC decision based on being permanently disabled. My hubby contacted my case manager via VAC My Account and asked her to submit my CIA supplement application. She called him back this afternoon and told him that she already submitted my CIAS when my DEC was approved a few weeks ago. She went on to say that my CIAS could take up to 18 weeks to be processed and is put on hold until my CIA is approved.

In 2005, I was medically released after serving only 2 years....so that means I still had 23 years left to serve in my career.  
I am unable to pursue any job in my field of study or any job due to being permanently disabled. My Earning capabitily is 0%.  What Grade level would I be classified under! Why does the policy makers make everything so darn complicated?  scratch

Cheers,
By the Bay

By the Bay,

Sounds like your CM is on the ball, things are coming into place for you which is good.

Regarding what level of CIA if approved, all I can say is what I have seen and read over time is that usually the level starts at level three and gives the client the opportunity to apply for level two, there are some who start at level two, but it is rare.

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Fri 21 Jul 2017, 01:52

Hello,

Cheers,
By the Bay
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Sun 16 Jul 2017, 20:04

Thought I'd try to help you all with my own timeline.

Oct. 2013 ELB approved.
Feb. 2014  TPI applied.
Mar. 2014  TPI approved (thought it was one week scratch )
Apr. 2014   PIA denied (not sure when I applied.)
May. 2014  EELB approved.
Sep. 2015  VIP approved.
Jan.  2016  PIA re-assessment.
Jan.  2016  2 yr TPI re-approved.
May  2016  PIA and supp. approved.
Apr.  2017  PIA 3 to 2.

Approaches are as different as any Case Managers might be.
Or... our own.

And everyones situation is different (understatement)
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Sat 15 Jul 2017, 14:16

Totally agree Bigrex
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 15 Jul 2017, 14:00

It is best to apply for everything all at once. that way, your CIAS approval should merely be placed on hold, pending the DEC determination, and you are nor having to wait the full time for each application process (PIA, then DEC, then PIAS) . You can also apply for ELB, if you haven't already, then once you get the DEC approval, it switches to EELB. That in turn, will automatically approve you for RISB once you turn 65.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Sat 15 Jul 2017, 09:11

Your CM works for YOU. Be polite, but let them know what I stated above. Although your CM may have a "plan" she doesn't approve your CIA. Every month you wait for your CIA to be approved, is a month you won't receive CIAS retro unless you were deemed to have a DEC. At 1100$ a month, 4 or 5 months is a lot of money. If you are approved CIA/S the supplement is only payable from the date you were deemed DEC.... there is no benefit of waiting until after. Unless you are interested in giving YOUR supplement back to the federal reserve or buying your local VAC office new furniture, your CM is uninformed or not considering wait times and how the policy works.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Sat 15 Jul 2017, 01:14

I believe every CM has their own idea of how things work or should work. This is why everyone gets confused about benefits their entitled to. I applied for CIA and CIA supplement with my CM. After our home visit, she took all my applications with her and submitted the the VIP and CIA only. I was informed that she wants to hold off on submitting my CIA supplement application until my DEC is approved. She said, "this is the system that CM's follow in order to get benefits approved." If this is wrong, should I talk to her about it? I don't want to make her upset.
Cheers,
By the Bay
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rustytheviking Sat 15 Jul 2017, 00:27

Yeah, ask to initiate it. My cm gave me the run around for 3 plus years. After asking on here I called the 1-800 number and asked for them to initiate it. He wasn't happy, but what do I care. He doesn't have my best interests in mind.

Rustytheviking
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2017-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Sat 15 Jul 2017, 00:24

Also, the CIA can be initiated through myVac at any time
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Sat 15 Jul 2017, 00:23

That's just not true. You can ask for a DEC determination regardless of receiving CIA. If you are deemed DEC/tpi you qualify for the CIAS when you apply and are approved CIA. There is no policy or legislation that forbids a vet to ask for a DEC review before applying or being approved CIA. I recommend inititiating both processes at the same time. Although a CM may suggest waiting, I advise against it. With VAC backlogs and administration times falling short of service standards, it's smart to have your DEC determined before your CIA is adjudicated. If both are favorable, you will receive both and your CIAS will be retro to the day that you were deemed DEC. This is important because if you wait until CIA is approved to initiate a DEC review, your CIAS will only become payable on the date you were deemed DEC. It's possible to lose months of CIAS by seeking a DEC status after approval foe CIA.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Sat 15 Jul 2017, 00:02

Paratrooper,
I was told by my Case Manager that one must first apply for CIA, once approved, if unable to work due to disabilities you can ask your CM to start the paper work for you to receive a 'DEC' classification.  Your CM will mail your Doctor medical questionnaire forms to fill out. Once that is completed, your CM will present your completed application to the area committee for approval.  DEC decisions are made at your local area VAC. Once Approved for DEC classification, your caseworker will submit a CIA Supplement application. To receive the Supplement you must be DEC. This is how it was explained to me by my CM and she has  been working as a VAC CM for 25 years.

I hope this helps you out!
Cheers,
By the Bay
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rustytheviking Fri 14 Jul 2017, 23:39

You need to be declared dec to get the supplement

Rustytheviking
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2017-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 47 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 32 ... 47  Next