Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Career Impact Allowance (CIA)

+59
derngt
Iceman
VetWife
propat
daverobitaille@rogers.com
Gunner8
Rubicon
coppers2002
rmsclk
140AESOP
XMedic
SIGS PIGS
sports1977
AirLog
kennyturcotte
sports_1977
armyvet83
red510
Newfie
rmsclk836
Tilap61
Paratrooper
lyonhart
Nemo
By the Bay
Yump5555
frustrated
acerman1234
861Cook
GPO75
Willie
Gardener101
Armygunner
Teager
321HTRCN
Rustytheviking
Dannypaj
abetterway
bosn181
LostTrucker
Newf
tetech
Panserbjørn
1sea0shell33
1993firebird
LawnBoy77777
Vet1234
vaincre
cosmo12
srproctor
Rifleman
Sapper Zodiak
czerv
pinger
johnny211
bigrex
BinRat
Teentitan
63 posters

Page 24 of 47 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 35 ... 47  Next

Go down

Career Impact Allowance (CIA) - Page 24 Empty Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA)

Post by Guest Thu 13 Apr 2017, 05:45

Yump5555 wrote:I am currently going through the DEC and the process does NOT include VAC.  The 3rd party CVVRS requests all of your medical documents from VAC and then contacts your medical professionals with more questionnaires. They setup a Functional Capacity and Psychovocational evaluation and then after all of this they send a report to your VAC Case Manager with your earning potential and percentage amount. Based on this your CM either seems you DEC or not.  In my opinion it is a costly process to a 3rd party of which when I questioned their expertise and education I was provided nothing.  

I don't think anyone can determine what percentage of pre-release salary an individual can earn in terms of their medical condition, or conditions.

Sounds to me like more of an interest in creating jobs, then the interest of caring for disabled Veterans.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Wed 12 Apr 2017, 20:16

That doesn't sound right to me.  I went through  something similar before Voc  rehab a few years ago but had nothing to do with TPI

Last edited by Vet1234 on Wed 12 Apr 2017, 20:18; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Autocorrect wrong)
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Yump5555 Wed 12 Apr 2017, 20:00

I am currently going through the DEC and the process does NOT include VAC. The 3rd party CVVRS requests all of your medical documents from VAC and then contacts your medical professionals with more questionnaires. They setup a Functional Capacity and Psychovocational evaluation and then after all of this they send a report to your VAC Case Manager with your earning potential and percentage amount. Based on this your CM either seems you DEC or not. In my opinion it is a costly process to a 3rd party of which when I questioned their expertise and education I was provided nothing.

Yump5555
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2017-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 12 Apr 2017, 05:58

It is my understanding that DEC replaced TPI.

DEC refers to the qualifying for the CIA Supplement.

In other words you need to be deemed to have the DEC, to qualify for the CIA Supplement.

As noted the DEC refers to a Veteran who is unable to earn at least 66.7% of their adjusted pre-release salary.  

You ask how do they determine this?

I asked that same question on April 01 in the category List of VAC Benefits:

"This term means that a Veteran is unable to earn at least 66.7% of their adjusted pre-release salary.

66.7% of their adjusted pre-release salary?

What are they going to do? Have Veterans apply for work to see if they get hired, then submit the salary to VAC for determining eligibility for the CIAS?

I'd like to know the process they have in place to determine who is capable, and who is not capable of earning 66.7% of their pre released salary."

Now my concern or question is that with these changes that have been made with the CIA, CIAS and DEC,  I'm wondering if these changes are an improvement over the PIA, PIAS and TPI?

And if so, how much of an improvement?

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 11 Apr 2017, 19:12

To me, this does not make any sense. By these criteria, someone who is medical released at less than 10 years, will almost automatically get CIA level 3, if DEC? If anything, it should be based on age, or years to age 65. because right now, someone could join up at 50, serve 5 years and get CIA grade 3, but someone else could join up at 20, serve 15 years, and be limited to grade 2, even though the second Veteran is 20 years younger.

Your lost years, should only be a factor for increasing your CIA grade, not determining the grade alone. So if you are assessed at grade three, but lost more than X number of years of employment, you are moved to grade 2. If you are grade 2, and lose X number of years employment, you are given grade 1. In other words, you shouldn't be getting grade one, if your actual physical limitations would be classed as grade 3, just because you were injured earlier in your career. And Grade 1 should be for those totally DEC only, You shouldn't get Grade one, if you are able to work, even part time, not when you have veterans who are unable to work at all, getting lower CIA, based on their years served.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Tue 11 Apr 2017, 19:08

The earnings capacity assessment tool has to be the reason why they haven't automatically changed anyone's level. I can't find any info on it anywhere.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Apr 2017, 19:01

I was wondering the same thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Tue 11 Apr 2017, 18:55

How do they know if someone is 33% and under?
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Apr 2017, 17:40

Vet1234 wrote:How is DEC earning potential calculated?

The only info I have for the DEC is in order to qualify you need to already have the CIA,  and

be determined to have diminished earning capacity.

The determination of the DEC means that a Veteran is unable to earn at least 66.7% of their adjusted pre-release salary.

It is paid at only one rate $1,103.06, Monthly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Tue 11 Apr 2017, 17:25

Or where is this " earnings capacity assessment tool "?
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Tue 11 Apr 2017, 17:07

How is DEC earning potential calculated?
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 6608 Tue 11 Apr 2017, 14:47

frustrated, from what i see in the new policy it looks like you might remain at the same level.............see link below
actually from reading the policy again you should get the increase because you subtract your years in from 25.

Grade 2:
Earning capacity/years left to serve:
These Veterans have been determined to have a DEC, are capable of earning 33.4% to 66.6% of their imputed income, and have a value of at least 6 years left to serve in CAF; or
These Veterans have been determined to have a DEC, are capable of earning 33.3% or less of their imputed income and have a value between 6 to 14 years left to serve in CAF.

Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and CIA Supplement
Issuing Authority: Director General, Policy and Research
Effective Date: April 1, 2017

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/2126

Cheers
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 337
Registration date : 2012-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by frustrated Tue 11 Apr 2017, 12:16

OK so i served 17 years 9 months and 13 days I was deemed to be tpi and i was assessed at level 3 now i am in receipt of both benefits under the old system. so am i to assume that my level for CIA will be increased . I am pensioned out at 100% i also receive 90% of my salary
with VA and SISIP

frustrated
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2017-04-10

Back to top Go down

Career Impact Allowance (CIA) - Page 24 Empty Just My Opinion after reading the comments above... It helps me keep a positive outlook!

Post by Guest Wed 05 Apr 2017, 21:35

When you serve 20-25 years you are entitled a pension.
If 3b released it is immediate indexed.

You may also get a DA up to $360000.
Your doctors and social workers are paid for life,likewise your drugs even a bit of Pot if needed is Totally Free.
You may also receive ELB, CIA, CIA (S), you may also receive Sisip LTD .
Then, you may be entitled to 70% top up- post 65yrs old--as an additional allowance.
At age 65 you will receive a % bonus payment for the amount of LTD and ELB benefit you received (2% i think) .
VIP Benefits/caregivers allowance
Rehab education fund $40000 to $80000
You may qualify for DTC (8000+ tax deduction)
Then you will get CPP and OAS at 65.
>>>>>Some even get all this +++plus a life time tax free pension.
[b]What am I missing?[/b]
So the increase for the young soldier who doesn't have a 20 + yr DND pension, gets a small additional CIA benefit.
Somehow it seems fair. Doesn't it?
We also have some sort of life long pension being offered later this year ( but I am not holding my breath on how good it will be)

We have grounds to appeal this poorly worded policy.

But not I, said the little red hen,  Not I.............

Back to top Go down

Post by BinRat Wed 05 Apr 2017, 20:51

bigrex wrote:it sounds to me, more like something required for determining TPI/DEC, than just CIA.

Yes it was or is, which is why I'm sorta erked because With these reports my CM is going though with a DEC determination.

So here my CM see's it as it is, why I am not able to work, or get suitable gainful Employment, yet this person who in the letter
say's I reviewed your file and found that because I am not DEC (TPI) that I am Employable to get or work at suitable full time
employment.

So the question is really, what did in my case (A female), what did she look at to determine this point of view.?
Did she NOT read my Doctor's assessment stating the opposite. Is she Over ruling what my Doctor Said?

And like what qualifications do these people have who are doing these re-assessments, are they Social workers, Nurses,
Nurse Practitioner, A Doctor, or some 18 year old they just hired to help with all these assessments.

I dunno, but again I talk to My CM next week so I'll let her look after it for me...

BinRat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 47 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 35 ... 47  Next