Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Career Impact Allowance (CIA)

+59
derngt
Iceman
VetWife
propat
daverobitaille@rogers.com
Gunner8
Rubicon
coppers2002
rmsclk
140AESOP
XMedic
SIGS PIGS
sports1977
AirLog
kennyturcotte
sports_1977
armyvet83
red510
Newfie
rmsclk836
Tilap61
Paratrooper
lyonhart
Nemo
By the Bay
Yump5555
frustrated
acerman1234
861Cook
GPO75
Willie
Gardener101
Armygunner
Teager
321HTRCN
Rustytheviking
Dannypaj
abetterway
bosn181
LostTrucker
Newf
tetech
Panserbjørn
1sea0shell33
1993firebird
LawnBoy77777
Vet1234
vaincre
cosmo12
srproctor
Rifleman
Sapper Zodiak
czerv
pinger
johnny211
bigrex
BinRat
Teentitan
63 posters

Page 40 of 47 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 43 ... 47  Next

Go down

Career Impact Allowance (CIA) - Page 40 Empty Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA)

Post by Vet1234 Tue 18 Oct 2016, 20:18

Had my appointment with my CM yesterday....
Don't even know where to start. CM asked a lot of questions, some Functional Capacity test. Kept on saying that I haven't been doing psych rehabilitation long enough to be stabilized, so "who knows what will happen after that"
I asked where the policy is and CM said TPI is for parapalegics and people with traumatic brain injuries. I politely disagreed, and CM said they would ask for some report from my Psych, and bring all the information to "the table" as "she doesnt make the decision" My CM does not like to be wrong. I called the ombudsman and asked them to look into getting my CM changed, but like everything VAC... backlog.
CM is basically saying that the prognosis from the Psych isn't right because I haven't stabilized. I've been seeing the same psych for 6 years and last time I checked my CM wasn't a doctor or qualified to make prognoses.
On the bright side, I have a VIP application in, and they are fast tracking it. Not sure what VIP will do for me, but I applied.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Tue 18 Oct 2016, 19:57

A bit of sincere foresight from my hindsight vet1234.
Part of the professional psych eval you mentioned last Saturday...
"has deteriorated to the point where participation in the Rehabilitation Program is no longer possible."

Be careful. VaC basically wrote me that same line for my benefit. Sounds like that medical report will coincide/help and concur for you. But don't ever let your fracking guard down.
I.E. VaC can be sneaky slimeballs.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Oct 2016, 17:52

ya vet seems you meet criteria with the report .

I'm really interested in the word your CM used as the reason . stabilized . after all this is the reason the said you would not get it . you may want to politely ask them about this and give you a reference in the legislation .

JMO but it sounds like they may be confused .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Sun 16 Oct 2016, 16:32

The policy says "chances in the future are unlikely" though!
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1993firebird Sun 16 Oct 2016, 15:29

Must say , " Can not work ever ".

1993firebird
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 16 Oct 2016, 14:15

Trust me, I wish it wasn't the case, but unfortunately the bureaucrats do not use common sense, or compassion when making these decisions.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Sun 16 Oct 2016, 09:22

I read that too BigRex.
"At this point in time, Mr. Vet1234's symptom presentation is consistent with a complete inability to attend school or work. His symptoms are severe and chronic. Thus, in terms of prognosis for academic or work efforts in the future, such is poor on the part of Mr. Vet1234. "

The second part clearly says that the chances in the future are "unlikely."(poor)

"it is reasonable to assume that given the severity of the Veteran’s health problem(s), the Veteran will not likely regain the capacity for suitable gainful employment, even with rehabilitation;

There is always going to be a chance of problems getting fixed, that's why they do reviews after 2 years. Mental health isn't black and white, that's why they use "unlikely"

So is the policy to deny, or wait until it gets even worse? It already says "inability to work or attend school" and "prognosis for academic or work efforts in the future, such is poor"

I read it as , unable to do it now and unlikely in the future, which is the criteria.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 16 Oct 2016, 08:05

Unfortunately, i think this line is is causing the problem

"it is reasonable to assume that given the severity of the Veteran’s health problem(s), the Veteran will not likely regain the capacity for suitable gainful employment, even with rehabilitation; or the Rehabilitation Program is being completed because:
there is evidence that further intervention would not be effective in achieving the Veteran’s rehabilitation goals"

Then your report states "At this point in time, Mr. Vet1234's symptom presentation is consistent with a complete inability to attend school or work.". This could be read that several months down the road, with further treatment, you could be fine completing the training, or finding employment. It's these little words that medical that VAC uses to deny claims, because if gives them a little wiggle room. I had VAC deny a consequential claim for arthritis in my knee, because an orthopedic said that "it only made sense" that it would be severely aggravated due to surgery on the opposite leg, and weight bearing for several months on even a mildly arthritic knee. They said that it was merely his opinion, and not a medical fact.

So if you can get your Dr to say that due to your medical condition, you will never be capable of resuming your studies, and that any stress related to employment would trigger an exasperation of your symptoms, or even take out that "point in time" reference, then that would definitely help with TPI.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Oct 2016, 06:56

Hopefully your CM will change her thoughts upon her visit and work to get you approved.

Just organize yourself for the visit and have everything ready to support your position.

It's hard to keep cool in all of this as it is certainly frustrating, but keeping cool is your best approach, it may just be a case where you need to explain better the situation as it stands today.
Not all CM's are equal in terms of support and or knowledge, some have to be pushed a little to truly understand your particular situation.

So my advice would be to not get to upset and concentrate on explaining to her and showing her why it is you feel you should qualify for the benefit or benefits that you're entitled to.
Best of luck to you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Sat 15 Oct 2016, 22:47

I think cm is confused or misinformed.

The TPI decision may be initiated at any time during the Veteran’s participation in the Rehabilitation Program and should be made in ANY of the following circumstances:

it is reasonable to assume that given the severity of the Veteran’s health problem(s), the Veteran will not likely regain the capacity for suitable gainful employment, even with rehabilitation;

all reasonable medical and psycho-social efforts have been exhausted, as demonstrated in the rehabilitation plan, and the Veteran is still not able to participate in vocational rehabilitation;

My last report 3 years ago said my chances of being able to work again were poor.
thats 2 reports in 4 years saying it.

The new report says " in terms of prognosis for academic or work efforts in the future, such is poor on the part of Mr. Vet1234"
to me... that means that the severity is great and chances are poor. I will not likely regain the capacity for suitable gainful employment, even with rehabilitation;

this is confusing.

I just wanna stop the BS. I understand doing psycho rehab, but what... make me wait on psycho rehab with no access to benefits, because there is a chance i'll get better?
I thought that's what the review is for after 2 years?
deny me now though. check back in 2 years?
It's only deteriorated, it says so earlier in the report. To boot, I should've qualified last psych report.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Oct 2016, 21:32

I think they are confusing the PIA with the disability award .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Oct 2016, 21:30

now they mention it in the PIA part of the legislation but they use it to say you CAN receive the PIA if you qualify for a pension BUT have not received it because your condition is not stabilized.

Permanent Impairment Allowance

Marginal note:Eligibility — veterans

38 (1) The Minister may, on application, pay a permanent impairment allowance to a veteran who has one or more physical or mental health problems that are creating a permanent and severe impairment if the veteran, in respect of each of those health problems,

(a) has had an application for rehabilitation services approved under this Part; and

(b) has received a disability award under Part 3 or a pension for disability under the Pension Act, or would have received such an award or pension but has not because

(i) the aggregate of all of the veteran’s disability assessments and deemed disability assessments exceeds 100%, or

(ii) the disability award is not yet payable because, in the opinion of the Minister, the disability has not stabilized.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Oct 2016, 21:23

just did a quick read through the legislation and it seems just on a quick read the buyout is the only thing hinging on your condition being stabilized .

When award payable

53 A disability award under section 45, 47 or 48 becomes payable whenever, in the opinion of the Minister, the disability has stabilized.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Oct 2016, 21:20

ok vet sounds like your CM is fracked up .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Sat 15 Oct 2016, 20:15

When to initiate a TPI Decision

The TPI decision may be initiated at any time during the Veteran’s participation in the Rehabilitation Program and should be made in ANY of the following circumstances:
all reasonable medical and psycho-social efforts have been exhausted, as demonstrated in the rehabilitation plan, and the Veteran is still not able to participate in vocational rehabilitation;
vocational rehabilitation efforts aimed at achieving at least suitable gainful employment have been unsuccessful;
it is reasonable to assume that given the severity of the Veteran’s health problem(s), the Veteran will not likely regain the capacity for suitable gainful employment, even with rehabilitation; or
the Rehabilitation Program is being completed because:
there is evidence that further intervention would not be effective in achieving the Veteran’s rehabilitation goals; or
the Veteran’s health has deteriorated to the point where participation in the Rehabilitation Program is no longer possible.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/1971
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 47 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 43 ... 47  Next