Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diminished Earning Capacity (DEC)

+30
cdnnavy77
MikeCeeGB
jimmyB1
Zodiac
Hellraiser
puddleduk2
bulldozer
bosn181
Gunner8
peep
45jim
AirLog
SIGS PIGS
Teager
totransit
Newfie
By the Bay
SaintJohn18182
johnny211
Rustytheviking
BinRat
cosmo12
prawnstar
czerv
1993firebird
Vet1234
Dannypaj
pinger
bigrex
34 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Diminished Earning Capacity  (DEC) - Page 3 Empty wait times

Post by cdnnavy77 Thu 16 May 2019, 11:37

has anyone that applied for CIA/CIAS in the march 2019 time frame, received response yet. Mine application was 8 weeks ago, Im guessing I shouldnt take the Wait Time tool on MyVac to be accurate?

cdnnavy77
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2017-03-17

Back to top Go down

Diminished Earning Capacity  (DEC) - Page 3 Empty Re: Diminished Earning Capacity (DEC)

Post by Guest Wed 17 Apr 2019, 17:39

Well, the average wait time for CIAS has gone from 5 weeks to 4 weeks. I think I'll have a beer to celebrate.

Have a safe and Happy Easter, all!! Cool

Back to top Go down

Diminished Earning Capacity  (DEC) - Page 3 Empty Re: Diminished Earning Capacity (DEC)

Post by bigrex Mon 15 Apr 2019, 21:15

No, and we can't get a consistent answer from VAC. We've been told the end of the month, September, October, and even some so\pouting off the old rules, about paying out the SRB, when you reach age 65.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Mon 15 Apr 2019, 20:17

Has anyone heard anything about the SRB payments yet?

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 331
Registration date : 2018-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Mon 15 Apr 2019, 08:47

Gunner they probably did your letter up prior to April 1 and used the policy that was in effect then.Therefore all that SRB stuff no longer exists now. You will receive 70% of your IRB once 65. You might get an SRB payment sometime this year equal to 2% for every year on ELB.

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Mon 15 Apr 2019, 08:34

I received a letter in the mail today, dated March 19, 2019. It was from my case manager stating that I was deemed DEC. It carried on to why and all that stuff. Then it states, when your ELB ends, you may apply for SRB, and it says
-SRB is equal to 2% of the total earnings loss benefits you were eligible to receive, before taking deductions and offsets into account;
-a taxable, lump sum payment.

What does this mean exactly? I was surprised to even get this letter in the mail, as I already knew(Via phone call) that I was deemed DEC.

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 331
Registration date : 2018-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Apr 2019, 16:23

By the Bay wrote:
Justagrrl wrote:
By the Bay wrote:
Justagrrl wrote:
MikeCeeGB wrote:Finished up with my CM. Her word on the CIAS is that there IS a guarantee. She said since I was declared DEC and applied before 01 Apr 19 I will be eligible. She expects the adjudication to be complete by the end of May. She has never steered me wrong, so I have no reason to doubt what she says.

Thank you for the update!  I will try to calm my nerves with your info.  I am guessing that some CM's don't want to commit themselves one way or the other when it comes to decision making that is not under their control...which is understandable. Very Happy

"As of April 1, 2019, the Department will automatically move Veterans in receipt of Career Impact Allowance (CIA) over to the Additional Pain & Suffering Compensation (APSC)—they will move over at the same Grade Level (1, 2 or 3) and will be paid the corresponding, non-taxable APSC monthly amount (not the taxable CIA monthly amount). No re-assessment of the Veteran's extent of impairment is required.

No Veteran in receipt of the CIA Supplement will receive less than the amount(s) of Earnings Loss Benefit, Retirement Income Security Benefit, and Career Impact Allowance Supplement they were eligible for prior to the implementation of the Income Replacement Benefit. These amounts will be protected on coming into force and will be indexed.

What happens if a Veteran applies for CIA, but their application isn't processed before April 1, 2019?

Veterans applying now, and up until March 31, 2019, for the Career Impact Allowance (CIA) will have their applications processed under current criteria for the CIA. Veterans who are approved for CIA will have their CIA grade level protected under the Additional Pain and Suffering Compensation (APSC).

Veterans who have an application pending on the coming into force date (April 1, 2019) and who are approved for CIA will have their CIA grade level protected under the APSC. This means, if you are approved for CIA and assessed at Grade Level 2, you will receive your CIA payments for the period prior to April 1, 2019, and you will be paid APSC at the same grade level with an effective date of April 1, 2019."

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/pension-for-life/q-and-a#q43

If you had your CIA/CIAS application in at VAC by March 31st 2019 (11:59pm) your application is protected and will be processed.  (This also includes the CIAS applications as well)

Cheers,
By the Bay

I think I may have misspoke. When I said that I was told there is no guarantee (when reading the original post), I meant that I was told there was no guarantee to be approved for CIAS even though I was deemed DEC.  I apologize for any confusion...

No worries Smile

If you have a DEC, there is no reason for you not to be approved for the supplement.
In an earlier post, you mentioned that you received CIA/CIAS in the past but you were no longer eligible because you returned back to the work force. If you fit the criteria before, you should fit the criteria now.
FYI, if you are denied CIAS, you have the option to appeal their decision. (You would be entitled to the appeals process under the former CIAS Benefits because you applied for CIAS before it was eliminated.)

Cheers,
By the Bay

Thank you, By the Bay

Have a good weekend. Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Fri 12 Apr 2019, 16:15

Justagrrl wrote:
By the Bay wrote:
Justagrrl wrote:
MikeCeeGB wrote:Finished up with my CM. Her word on the CIAS is that there IS a guarantee. She said since I was declared DEC and applied before 01 Apr 19 I will be eligible. She expects the adjudication to be complete by the end of May. She has never steered me wrong, so I have no reason to doubt what she says.

Thank you for the update!  I will try to calm my nerves with your info.  I am guessing that some CM's don't want to commit themselves one way or the other when it comes to decision making that is not under their control...which is understandable. Very Happy

"As of April 1, 2019, the Department will automatically move Veterans in receipt of Career Impact Allowance (CIA) over to the Additional Pain & Suffering Compensation (APSC)—they will move over at the same Grade Level (1, 2 or 3) and will be paid the corresponding, non-taxable APSC monthly amount (not the taxable CIA monthly amount). No re-assessment of the Veteran's extent of impairment is required.

No Veteran in receipt of the CIA Supplement will receive less than the amount(s) of Earnings Loss Benefit, Retirement Income Security Benefit, and Career Impact Allowance Supplement they were eligible for prior to the implementation of the Income Replacement Benefit. These amounts will be protected on coming into force and will be indexed.

What happens if a Veteran applies for CIA, but their application isn't processed before April 1, 2019?

Veterans applying now, and up until March 31, 2019, for the Career Impact Allowance (CIA) will have their applications processed under current criteria for the CIA. Veterans who are approved for CIA will have their CIA grade level protected under the Additional Pain and Suffering Compensation (APSC).

Veterans who have an application pending on the coming into force date (April 1, 2019) and who are approved for CIA will have their CIA grade level protected under the APSC. This means, if you are approved for CIA and assessed at Grade Level 2, you will receive your CIA payments for the period prior to April 1, 2019, and you will be paid APSC at the same grade level with an effective date of April 1, 2019."

If you had your CIA/CIAS application in at VAC by March 31st 2019 (11:59pm) your application is protected and will be processed.  (This also includes the CIAS applications as well)

Cheers,
By the Bay

I think I may have misspoke. When I said that I was told there is no guarantee (when reading the original post), I meant that I was told there was no guarantee to be approved for CIAS even though I was deemed DEC.  I apologize for any confusion...

No worries Smile

If you have a DEC, there is no reason for you not to be approved for the supplement.
In an earlier post, you mentioned that you received CIA/CIAS in the past but you were no longer eligible because you returned back to the work force. If you fit the criteria before, you should fit the criteria now.
FYI, if you are denied CIAS, you have the option to appeal their decision. (You would be entitled to the appeals process under the former CIAS Benefits because you applied for CIAS before it was eliminated.)

Cheers,
By the Bay
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Apr 2019, 15:27

By the Bay wrote:
Justagrrl wrote:

Cheers,
By the Bay

I think I may have misspoke. When I said that I was told there is no guarantee (when reading the original post), I meant that I was told there was no guarantee to be approved for CIAS even though I was deemed DEC. I apologize for any confusion...

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Fri 12 Apr 2019, 14:17

Justagrrl wrote:

If you had your CIA/CIAS application in at VAC by March 31st 2019 (11:59pm) your application is protected and will be processed. (This also includes the CIAS applications as well)

Cheers,
By the Bay
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Apr 2019, 13:24

Thank you for the update! I will try to calm my nerves with your info. I am guessing that some CM's don't want to commit themselves one way or the other when it comes to decision making that is not under their control...which is understandable. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeCeeGB Fri 12 Apr 2019, 13:16

Finished up with my CM. Her word on the CIAS is that there IS a guarantee. She said since I was declared DEC and applied before 01 Apr 19 I will be eligible. She expects the adjudication to be complete by the end of May. She has never steered me wrong, so I have no reason to doubt what she says.

MikeCeeGB
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2018-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeCeeGB Fri 12 Apr 2019, 09:06

I have a meeting with my CM (who is actually awesome) at 1130 am today. I am going to ask the questions about the CIA supplement because I am in the exact same boat. At step three for going on six weeks. I expect my CM to have better answers than “no guarantees” and “don’t expect anything anytime soon” if she knows, she will say. If she doesn’t know, she will say she doesn’t know. She doesn’t really deal in ambiguous, and vague statements. I’ll post what I find out.

MikeCeeGB
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeCeeGB Fri 12 Apr 2019, 08:44

I have a meeting with my CM (who is actually awesome) at 1130 am today. I am going to ask the questions about the CIA supplement because I am in the exact same boat. At step three for going on six weeks. I expect my CM to have better answers than “no guarantees” and “don’t expect anything anytime soon” if she knows, she will say. If she doesn’t know, she will say she doesn’t know. She doesn’t really deal in ambiguous, and vague statements. I’ll post what I find out.

MikeCeeGB
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Apr 2019, 08:14

Gunner8 wrote:Applied for DEC/ CIAS on February 20th. Still says step 3 in myvacaccount. So called my CM a couple weeks ago and she said that my DEC was approved and that I would get the CIAS.
I’m happy to hear that, but wondering why my vac still hasn’t changed. Anyone else in this situation?

Gunner

I am in the same boat. My application isn't even showing in MyVacAccount. My CM told me I was approved for DEC and when I asked about CIAS, I was told "there are no guarantees" and "don't expect an answer anytime soon"...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next