Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

+26
propat
SaintJohn18182
frustrated
xtraforus
Tilap61
Rifleman
Newfie
By the Bay
bog6
Nemo
Rustytheviking
pinger
Teager
bosn181
Armygunner
Cctchevy18
Mike77
Slaket
cosmo12
bigrex
Dannypaj
johnny211
Willie
Vet1234
czerv
30 posters

Page 7 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 17  Next

Go down

Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)  - Page 7 Empty Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

Post by Guest Mon 14 Aug 2017, 13:47

By the Bay wrote:Hi,
I just received a letter from VAC stating that " a rehabilitation plan will not be developed for you. As no rehabilitation needs were not identified in your recent case mangers assessment, your participation in the Rehabilition Services and Vocational Program is completed."

Does this mean I will not be approved for CIA benefits that I have applied for because I am no longer under a Rehabilitation plan?
I am so confused at this point because I thought I had to be in a Rehabilition plan in order to be approved for CIA..
Cheers,
By the Bay

If you were approved for rehab, but could not participate because of what was written by your case manager, and they are saying your rehab is complete, this could mean that you have met the criteria for the CIA and the ELB with respect to completing your rehab part of the criteria for the CIA and ELB, after all, they did say your rehab is complete.

So my advice would be to contact VAC and ask them if this letter means you have met the criteria for both the CIA and the ELB with respect to the rehab aspect of it, being that the letter states that your rehab is completed.

Back to top Go down

Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)  - Page 7 Empty Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

Post by bog6 Mon 14 Aug 2017, 13:34

Call your case manager and keep us updated.

Bog

bog6
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2017-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Mon 14 Aug 2017, 13:06

Hi,
I just received a letter from VAC stating that " a rehabilitation plan will not be developed for you. As no rehabilitation needs were not identified in your recent case mangers assessment, your participation in the Rehabilition Services and Vocational Program is completed."

Does this mean I will not be approved for CIA benefits that I have applied for because I am no longer under a Rehabilitation plan?
I am so confused at this point because I thought I had to be in a Rehabilition plan in order to be approved for CIA..
Cheers,
By the Bay
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Aug 2017, 19:12

ScottyG wrote:Yes but CIA S can never predate the DEC approval which was May 2017.

It depends when you submitted your CIAS application.

If you were deemed DEC in May of this year, and you submitted your CIAS application after you were deemed DEC, it will go back to whatever date you submitted your CIAS application. If you submitted your CIAS application before you were deemed DEC, it will go back to whatever date you were deemed DEC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Aug 2017, 18:59

Yes but CIA S can never predate the DEC approval which was May 2017.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Aug 2017, 18:55

ScottyG wrote:
Trooper wrote:Scotty,

I'm thinking with the CIAS, it may just be a case where your deemed DEC was not seen or missed when your application was submitted.

You can now apply for the CIAS through my account, however, in your particular case where you already applied for and was denied, it's best to contact VAC and tell them your situation that you have been deemed DEC and are receiving the CIA. They may be able to speed things up for you, and they can advise you on whether you need to appeal or not.

Regarding payable date, I would think they would back date your CIAS to the date from which you first applied if you were deemed DEC at the time of that application, if not deemed DEC at the time of application, they will only go back to when you have been deemed DEC.

I have a feeling that is the case "in another pile". Newfie said she appeal for both at the same time and after 2nd level appeal she was required to resubmit for CIA S ....seems newfie really got the run around.

As long as you make sure they know that you were CIA and DEC on your FIRST CIAS application, I'm assuming from what I read from your post that was the case. Record it all and like I said hopefully it's just a matter of you writing a letter detailing the situation and they approve your CIAS from the date of your first CIAS application.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Aug 2017, 18:40

Trooper wrote:Scotty,

I'm thinking with the CIAS, it may just be a case where your deemed DEC was not seen or missed when your application was submitted.

You can now apply for the CIAS through my account, however, in your particular case where you already applied for and was denied, it's best to contact VAC and tell them your situation that you have been deemed DEC and are receiving the CIA. They may be able to speed things up for you, and they can advise you on whether you need to appeal or not.

Regarding payable date, I would think they would back date your CIAS to the date from which you first applied if you were deemed DEC at the time of that application, if not deemed DEC at the time of application, they will only go back to when you have been deemed DEC.

I have a feeling that is the case "in another pile". Newfie said she appeal for both at the same time and after 2nd level appeal she was required to resubmit for CIA S ....seems newfie really got the run around.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Aug 2017, 18:19

Newfie: Can you review your dates
8 sept 2016 -initial appl for CIA and Cias ?
1st level appeal _____ for both? Where both rejected?
2nd level appeal 24th april 2017 was this Letter recieved for CIA and CIA(S) approvals??
July was it for CIA S and when did you get the CIA?
Back dated to May 18 2017 ...was that the date of your DEC favorable decision if not what date was that?

Back to top Go down

Post by Newfie Sun 13 Aug 2017, 14:52

Scotty, I was on 2nd level appeal that VAC received on 24 April 2017. My initial application was on 8 Sep 2016.  I received letter in July and was backed dated to VAC decision date of 18 May 2017. More BS

Last edited by Newfie on Sun 13 Aug 2017, 14:55; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Missing info)

Newfie
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2013-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Newfie Sun 13 Aug 2017, 14:48

Scotty I questioned why my CIA and CIA supp was not approved at same time and I was told some BS story that they only looked at my CIA application and I had to reapply for the supplement

Newfie
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2013-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Aug 2017, 06:46

Scotty,

CIA Date Payable

The CIA and an increase in the grade level due to a reassessment, begins to be payable on the later of:

a. the day on which the application for the allowance was made (see the Application section of this policy); and

b. the day that is one year prior to the day on which the application for the allowance is approved, i.e. one year prior to the decision date; and

c. the day after the day of the member’s release from the CAF.

The effective date cannot pre-date the later of the decisions by which the Veteran has an application for rehabilitation services approved and has been granted a disability benefit for the health problem(s) that are causing the permanent and severe impairment.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/2126#anchor57640

CIAS Date Payable

The CIA supplement begins to be payable the later of:

a. the day on which the application for the supplement was made (see the Application section of this policy);

b. the day that is one year prior to the day on which the application for the supplement is approved, i.e. one year prior to the decision date.

c. the day after the day of the member's release from the CAF.

The effective date cannot pre-date the decision by which the Veteran is determined to have a DEC.

The effective date cannot predate October 3, 2011 (i.e. the implementation date of the Enhanced New Veterans Charter Act.)

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/2126#anchor57649

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 12 Aug 2017, 20:28

Vet 1234 How long did you wait for an answer to your appeal? Did you involve the BPA in doig so?

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Sat 12 Aug 2017, 20:03

appeal the date citing a lack of clarity on documents needed to make a decision and poor case management oversight.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Sat 12 Aug 2017, 20:01

I have an appeal in for my PIA as well. An application that is not complete (insufficient or non complete) should not reach adjudication. there is no checklist for a CIA application and the ombudsmen agrees that an application that reaches adjudication and is incomplete is the result of a lack of due diligence on the part of a CM.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 12 Aug 2017, 19:02

I never received my  letter of explaination. I will review it when it arrives, had to request a dupilate copy.  My original application was rejected based on no current med, so I appealed  and submitted a current med and was approved for CIA not CIA s.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 17  Next