Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

+26
propat
SaintJohn18182
frustrated
xtraforus
Tilap61
Rifleman
Newfie
By the Bay
bog6
Nemo
Rustytheviking
pinger
Teager
bosn181
Armygunner
Cctchevy18
Mike77
Slaket
cosmo12
bigrex
Dannypaj
johnny211
Willie
Vet1234
czerv
30 posters

Page 8 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 17  Next

Go down

Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)  - Page 8 Empty Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

Post by Vet1234 Sat 12 Aug 2017, 18:52

they should date it back
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)  - Page 8 Empty Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

Post by Guest Sat 12 Aug 2017, 18:48

I am curious about when you appeal CIA &/or CIA s and you win the appeal what date do they use for back payment?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 12 Aug 2017, 18:41

Vet 1234
I was deemed DEC many months ago May 2017 . do they back date if its an appeal and you win?

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Sat 12 Aug 2017, 18:35

that happened to me. I applied for both at the same time. at the time of my CIA application I hadn't been deemed TPI yet. The decision letter said no CIAS because I wasn't TPI. I re-applied online and called VAC. I was approved the supplement with in a week.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 12 Aug 2017, 17:56

Totally confused will contact them next week. Maybe there is some lag time when you file for CIA and CIAs at the same time. Once you get CIA and have DEC it should be automatic. Has anyone else applied for both on the same date and received delays in the awarding both benefits at the same time?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 12 Aug 2017, 06:27

ScottyG wrote:Question I got approved for CIA but not CIA S i have the DEC approved why wouldnt i get CIAs ?

Has anyone else had this happen ?

Why wouldn't you get CIAS?

If I was approved for the CIA and was deemed DEC, but was denied CIAS, I would contact VAC to ask them why I was denied the CIAS, and I would reference the following to them:

CIA supplement

Veterans who receive the Career Impact Allowance, and who are deemed to have diminished earning capacity, are also eligible for the career impact allowance supplement.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/transition/rehabilitation/career-impact-allowance

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 Aug 2017, 23:20

Question I got approved for CIA but not CIA S i have the DEC approved why wouldnt i get CIAs ?

Has anyone else had this happen ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Aug 2017, 19:59

answer found

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 03 Aug 2017, 12:15

Well according to VAC website, a CIA application should only take 16 weeks, like disability awards, but that clock only starts when they have all the necessary documentation. And last year, they were only able to meet that standard 52% of the times.

VAC service standards
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Thu 03 Aug 2017, 10:27

Has anyone who applied in March or April receive their decision letter yet for CIA? I called VAC this morning to find out the current Service Standard timeline on completing CIA applications. The VAC lady said that they are only a few weeks behind in completing CIA application and that most applications were being completed in the 12 to 16 weeks timeframe! My husband called an hour later to inquire about a different matter and he also asked about CIA Service Standard timeline. VAC person said 18 to 24 weeks waiting times! So which is it? 12 to 16 weeks or 18 to 24 weeks! scratch
Cheers,
By the Bay
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Aug 2017, 17:20

Here's the deal on the amounts a Veteran @ 100% fully receiving benefits from the old pension act.

The numbers posted in the above post are absolutely correct, I provided a link the other day which I'll provide again at the end of this post proving those numbers to be correct.

To make it a bit more interesting using the 2017 numbers from the link, Disability Pension Rates, let's take a Single Veteran with a 100% Disability fully from the Pension Act,

1. Disability Pension

2. Veterans Independence Program

3. Attendance Allowance

4. Exceptional Incapacity Allowance

5. Clothing Allowance

No Spouse, no children and you don't even need the full grade of the allowances to easily reach the $5000.00 tax free Monthly amount.

Just the above, forget about anything else, the point is no matter how one cuts it or slices it, the New Veterans Charter does not come close to the security of the old pension act.

Further to this it is a fact that pre 2006 a Veteran at 100% could have one visit from their case manager for all the above benefits to be applied and approved for, One Visit!

It is my view that this new charter wasn't so much about saving money via taxes, but more geared towards securing those bureaucrats who enacted the charter ensuring long term security in the form of employment for themselves.

Those old pension days secured all disabled Veterans without adding any pressure of rehab or transition BS that is only a problem because the disabled Veteran does not have the lifelong security that once was in place.

I need not have to go any further, because the facts speak for themselves, the link of rates speaks for itself.

The reason there's so much confusion and frustration today is because of the above facts.

2017 Disability Pension Rates:

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/pdf/services/disability-pension/Disability-Pension-Rates-2017.pdf

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Wed 02 Aug 2017, 16:17

Is this a mythical scenario? I would love it if it were a true story! Could you imagine if there were veterans that actually received the maximum amount for all eligible benefits...it would even be a more fabulous scenario if those veterans received the all the benefits on their first application! I think it's just a pipe dream! Sad
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 02 Aug 2017, 12:49

Yes, other than the $5000/mo PA pension, it could absolutely happen, if the person qualifies for a higher grade of CIA. The maximum PA pension for a Married Veteran with 3 children is $4236.

So a totally disabled PA veteran could possibly get the following amounts every month, but it would be extremely unlikely that they would get the maximum for each benefit

$4236 PA pension
$1808 AA
= $6044 tax free, plus
$1799 CIA
$1104 CIAS
and a minimum $3700 ELB
= $6602 before taxes.

Plus most other possible medical need, as well as VIP.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)  - Page 8 Empty Hell of way to make the same as a BGeneral !

Post by Guest Wed 02 Aug 2017, 10:36

So all this could happen? Trooper and Big Rex?
$5000 per month tax free ( if it was taxed it would have to be  $6500min )
$1808 per month Attendance Allowance
$600 per month CIA
$1199 per month CIA S
$_____ per month 90% of release pay (min 3808 per month ....44496 per yr)

If the ELB is at min level it works out to a Total of $13815.00 per month or $165780 per year

This Veteran  income would be the same  as a BGen or a retired LtGen !

He or she could get $40-80000 for education if not the spouse is entitled  
They will motify a truck to drive if required
They will pay for a scooter
They will motify a home too
If you have B level coverage all medical care is paid for too.

I want to talk to this person. I wonder if he exists !

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 01 Aug 2017, 22:19

Yes, if he is at 100%, he can get pretty close to that amount, or more if getting Attendance Allowance. And he can still apply for ELB, CIA and CIAS.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 17  Next