Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Caregiver Recognition Benefit

+11
bosn181
johnny211
Iceman
By the Bay
Supremedebater
skidsteer
Newfie
45jim
czerv
Vet1234
Yump5555
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Caregiver Recognition Benefit - Page 2 Empty Re: Caregiver Recognition Benefit

Post by bosn181 Sat 28 Apr 2018, 13:42

yeah johnny not sure what they going to do i got crb approved but i was on new system only so many others are combo of both and they don't seem to want to do anything to fix it

bosn181
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2017-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Sat 28 Apr 2018, 12:21

Iceman - in the same boat. Put in for CRB, and told no, you only qualify for AA. So put in for AA, and turned down. What a circle of red tape. AA is more geared for Physical injuries, as most of mine are ptsd, and other mental issues, I don’t fit either one. Which I think is a crock. As there’s got to be a lot of us in this same boat..VVV..
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sat 28 Apr 2018, 09:27

By the Bay wrote:
Some Veterans who are receiving duel awards under NVC and Pension Act are having difficulties getting approved for CRB and VAC informs them to apply for Attendance Allowance only.  

I’m dual and tried
I was told that since I have a pa pension of 1% or more, I “could possibly”qualify for AA.
since I “could possibly” qualify for AA, I can’t qualify for CRB.

Iceman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2016-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Fri 27 Apr 2018, 17:50

45jim wrote:I was told by my CM that this benefit will only be available if you really should be under full time care in a facility but are able to stay home only with the assistance of a casual caregiver. Whether this is true or not or if this was the original intent of the benefit, it demonstrates what CM are being told (and taught) . This will dissuade many from applying as I got the impression if you are not bedridden you will not get this benefit. My application was rejected.

She did say that perhaps after a two-year reassessment with a worsening condition I may qualify but they very fact that I walked into the office under my own steam seems evidence for rejection.

Your CM does not have the rights to tell you that you do not qualify for CRB.

You may qualify for the Caregiver Recognition Benefit if you have a Disability Award as a result of the condition for which you have received the Disability Award you require ongoing care to the extent that:

- you need a level of care and supervision that is consistent with admission to an institution or nursing home.
- you need daily physical assistance of another person for at least four of your activities of daily living.
- you need ongoing direction and supervision during the performance of at least four of your activities of daily living
or you need daily supervision and are only considered safe when you are left alone for short periods of time.
- you have an informal (unpaid) caregiver who provides or co-ordinates your care;
- your need for care is ongoing (expected to last at least 12 months)
- your informal caregiver is 18 years of age or older and is not paid for providing or coordinating your care; and you are not a permanent resident of a nursing home or long-term care facility.

It does not hurt to apply. Do you have an award? Do you require some level of care?
The decision is up to the Vac Adjudicator who is handling your file not your CM!
IF the Adjudicator denies you, you should appeal!

Cheers,
By the Bay
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Fri 27 Apr 2018, 17:06

czerv wrote:
Thanks.
Another question, not sure where to post it .
What stops after 65th birthday? and what continues (benefits, ELB, Rehab, etc.?)

What stops on 65th Birthday...
So any programs or benefits that supports Career Transitions and Loss of Work Income such as VAC ELB, SISIP LTD, Canadian Forces Income Support, Education Training Benefit, and Vocational Rehabiliitation will stop.

After 65th birthday....

Veterans who received ELB and LTD benefits before their 65th birthday will qualify for Retirement Income Secuity Benefit and Supplementary Retirement Benefit.

If your receiving benefits that are lifetime support such as CIA, CIAS, VIP, etc they will continue until your death date.

Hope this helps!
By the Bay
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv Fri 27 Apr 2018, 15:53

Thanks.
Another question, not sure where to post it .
What stops after 65th birthday? and what continues (benefits, ELB, Rehab, etc.?)

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Fri 27 Apr 2018, 15:44

Czerv,

To answer your question...."Can even someone on Att/Allowance apply for it?"

The answer is...No
Veterans who are awarded a pension or compensation under the Pension Act is not eligilbe for Caregiver Recogniition Benefit.

Only Veterans who are receiving an award under the NVC or the future Pension for Life recipients are eligible to apply for this benefit!

Some Veterans who are receiving duel awards under NVC and Pension Act are having difficulties getting approved for CRB and VAC informs them to apply for Attendance Allowance only.  

Hope this helps,
Cheers
By the Bay
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Supremedebater Fri 27 Apr 2018, 10:16

I’m curious to find out if any Veterans have applied and were denied for the new caregiver benefit. But more importantly whether they were approved before and received the benefit before the new one commenced. I would really appreciate it if someone could advise me if they have been denied the new while they were approved under the old. Will be interesting to see.

Supremedebater
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2016-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv Fri 27 Apr 2018, 10:07

Skeedsteer, Nobody replied, but when I started reading about it, it said (somewhere there on VAC site) that if you have Att/Allowance then you will not get it.
They VAC, create all kinds of 'benefits' that you do not qualify.
Patience and Good Luck.

czerv
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by skidsteer Fri 27 Apr 2018, 08:48

CZERV Did you ever get an answer to your question "Can even someone on Att/Allowance apply for it? " (Caregiver Recognition Benefit)
skidsteer
skidsteer
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2016-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Yump5555 Wed 25 Apr 2018, 17:31

@45jim Who denied your CRB Application. Did it go through the adjudicators and an official letter sent. If so it was done well before the 8 week timeframe proposed.

Yump5555
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2017-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv Wed 25 Apr 2018, 13:35

I would skip the 'middle man' (ombudsman) and write a letter to the minister and cc:VAC (whoever is on the top).

Just my way of doing it.

czerv
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Newfie Wed 25 Apr 2018, 13:14

I applied for attendance allowance on 3 Jan 2018. Still not posted to my VAC and was told thru email that it is sitting in que to be looked at and then assigned if qualified. I have left numerous calls on my CM voice mail over past month and even reported it to VAC that the calls are not being returned. Is my next step the Ombudsman?

Newfie
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2013-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv Wed 25 Apr 2018, 12:54

Do not trust your CM. Mine did not recommend any (ANY) benefits for me when I started with VAC after 3b. Applied on my own, etc., etc., Got everything that I applied for. Still long way to go though. It seems to me that they have different standards to different folks (according to who is your CM) and depends who is looking at your application in the Office/Offices where they 'process' the application. I also know someone who literally fired his CM. She got fired after more veterans complained. I will 'apply' for CRB and see what happens. Sorry to hear that yours got rejected. That's what happens when VAC comes with these new policies and nobody knows what they are and what are they looking at during the 'qualifying' process. I would request from them a CLEAR explanation why you did not qualify.
Cheers and Blessings

czerv
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Caregiver Recognition Benefit - Page 2 Empty Caregiver Recognition Benefit

Post by 45jim Wed 25 Apr 2018, 11:14

I was told by my CM that this benefit will only be available if you really should be under full time care in a facility but are able to stay home only with the assistance of a casual caregiver. Whether this is true or not or if this was the original intent of the benefit, it demonstrates what CM are being told (and taught) . This will dissuade many from applying as I got the impression if you are not bedridden you will not get this benefit. My application was rejected.

She did say that perhaps after a two-year reassessment with a worsening condition I may qualify but they very fact that I walked into the office under my own steam seems evidence for rejection.

45jim
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2018-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next