Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What will the settlement mean to a partially disabled vet?

2 posters

Go down

What will the settlement mean to a partially disabled vet? Empty Re: What will the settlement mean to a partially disabled vet?

Post by bigrex Sat 01 Sep 2012, 14:15

We will all get whatever was deducted over those initial 2 years, plus damages. I agree with SISIP being incapable of administering this program properly. I know that it is extremely limiting as well. When I released i was in no position mentally or physically to immediately start any sort of schooling. I released in early Jan, just after having major knee surgery on the 27th on Nov, and was still on crutches when I released. Add on the fact that I was moving the summer following my release back to Halifax. then once I met with my SISIP rep in Halifax, I requested a course on Computer repair, with the vision of possibly running my own PC repair business out of my home, but he denied that, saying my best bet would to take online courses for some MS Office programs like Word and Excel, and then go to work in administration. Well after that, when they wanted me to find work, I told them that i needed to find employment relatively nearby, since we only owned one car and didn't live near a bus route, and even if we did, I was not capable of sitting on a bus for hours a day getting to and from work. The SISIP employee freaked out on the phone and said I apparently didn't want to work and she closed my rehab file. I had never felt so belittled and confused. I thought that they were there to help us, not the other way around. I shouldn't have to subject myself to pain and discomfort or the additional financial hardship of purchasing a second car, just because SISIP didn't want to take the time to help me find local employment. It was probably due to her that once my 24 months were up, SISIP refused to deem me TPI.

So, I think SISIP needs to be amended so that the Veterans can commence schooling at any time within three years of their release. This allows the Veteran time to heal and readjust to their new life before taking on the added stresses of schooling.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

What will the settlement mean to a partially disabled vet? Empty What will the settlement mean to a partially disabled vet?

Post by 2 Truck Sat 01 Sep 2012, 13:02

I hope that the zero summed clients receive all that they are entitled to. But how about the partially disabled vet?
I wonder if my story sounds familiar to other vets. I was released medically in 2003. i am 52% rated disabled, most of which is PTSD.
During my release, I felt pressured by my SISIP representative to take advantage of the 24 month rehabilitation program ( ie. to get me the hell off of the LTD ASAP ).
I attended a program at college. After a year, and using up my rrsps, i realized that I was a whiskers width away from declaring bankrupcy, which would not have been an issue if the clawback was not happening!
So i made the decision to quit the program and find a job. I had three chidren to support and i was going through a divorce. i was hauled into family court because i got behind on my child maintenance.
I got a low paying job in January 2005 just to get the heck out of my financial problems. I am very angry about the way the SISIP fiasco went down. SISIP in my mind was not prepared or capable and even delinquent in handling clients with mental disabilities. Right on my LTD claim form the physician stated it would take YEARS to get better. But no they pushed this sham of a program on me! They didn't care if i was capable of finishing the rehab program they just wanted me off of LTD. So NOW the government wants to make things right. They want to pay back what i am owed but they want to lower my payback by any income I may have made over that 24 months. Income that I needed to support my family because of the injustice of the clawback. What will the damages be in this settlement? The government dictated the policy of the SISIP LTD plan and was found to be in breach of a contract. Personally, i feel they should pay for the legal fees as they did for the residential school lawsuit. I sure as the hell don't want to pay any more taxes.
I hope that when our lawyers negotiate the final settlement they hold the government to task.(Thank you for all the work Peter). Thanks for letting me get this off my chest for 8 years.

2 Truck
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Back to top Go down