Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stand Up and Be Counted

5 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Stand Up and Be Counted - Page 2 Empty Re: Stand Up and Be Counted

Post by bigrex Fri 04 Jan 2013, 02:11

Supreme, it is easy to be on the outside looking in and say that it will be a good deal. But when you are on the inside and having seen how the Government has reacted to losing similar sized class actions against them, including during this current governments reign, we cannot help but feel like we're getting screwed regardless of how good Dennis says it is. In the tainted blood and residential school actions, the government agreed to pay the legal fees and any awards granted were comprised solely of government money, since there was no retro active payments involved in those awards. So if the settlement does not involve tax free damages to compensate us for the hardships that they knowingly caused the class members and paying at least a portion of the legal fees that they forced us to incur, then IMHO, it isn't a good deal. It's not like they stopped the clawback of their own volition and we simply went to court to get back pay. They would have continued to deduct the PA pensions until every last class member had died, even if they knew it was illegal. If I was a drug dealer, I could grow thousands of marijuana plants in my backyard, even though it is illegal, and I would keep growing them if nobody stopped me. but if they did, i couldn't get away with just saying "oops, my bad. I won't grow those any more" and simply walk away. I would be punished. jail time, I could lose my house and money in my accounts, under this governments "Proceeds from Crime" legislation. Just because they are the Government should not place them above the laws of this Country or absolve them from legal and moral obligations that any other corporate organization in Canada would be held accountable for.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jan 2013, 01:47

Back to top Go down

Post by Wife of a Veteran Fri 04 Jan 2013, 01:46

Last edited by Wife of a Veteran on Sat 09 Feb 2013, 17:17; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ,)

Wife of a Veteran
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jan 2013, 01:39

Its good folks, I can feel it myself. So stop doubting lol I laugh when I see people pondering..." Is it good"? " How can it be good" "How can we believe Dennis" lol you guys/gals are too funny. I'm not going to post it on here but I will be posting on my website regarding how class actions really work...possible outcomes and much more info. But it takes a little time. If I was part of the class action...if I got back any of the unjustified money the GOC took from me I'd be happy. If I would get $5000 to bring all my family on a Vacation...I would be satisfied. Why would I say that? Because Class Actions are not won easily...And a class action and the respondent is the GOC and you win...Thats a true blessing to overcome! Jus sayin don't be hatin! (Thats my sons saying lol)

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 04 Jan 2013, 00:12

The thing is, paying taxes is not set in stone. CRA answers to the PM. If the PM said that this settlement was tax free, then it would be. If he said we each have to pay 10% in taxes, then it would be ten percent. In fact, if this had gone to trial and the money was awarded as damages, instead as a settlement, they would be tax free. It might be different if we had sued a private company, but I do not think that it is right, nor legal that the organization that broke the law and lost the case gets to arbitrarily minimize their financial liability, by forcing us to pay back a good portion of any settlement awarded.

lets use the Numbers that Navrat provided, of 10% legal and 3.75% interest. SISIP owes me $35000 for 2 years. Interest would put it around $47000. Add the $10000 top up and it total approx $57000.

Now the lawyers take their 10% = $5700
That means I have to give the Gov $855 for HST, leaving me $50445 gross.
The real kicker will be when CRA adds the $50000 to my EELB, PIA and Supp and CF annuity. I could end up owing around an additional $10000 in taxes on top of whatever SISIP deducts, because it will bump up my annual income considerably. In fact, according to an online Income tax calculator, I could owe almost as much in income tax for the year, as I will make from the settlement.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Jan 2013, 23:37

getting $1000 in the end should go far around the table at the legion... lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Jan 2013, 20:54

No, same rumour from my old post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Jan 2013, 20:42

Redfisher Thanks ! All it was meant to be was old fashion friendship.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Jan 2013, 20:35

another rumor nav?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Jan 2013, 20:32

Froggie, I heard what Dennis said and I don't think he would say that if it wasn't true, I sure hope it's the best, no matter what it's the best legal could get, but I am worried about taxes and yes I know we have to pay them but the size and complex rules surrounding them will be the bummer. Also legal fees need to be very reasonable like Dennis had stated, I heard a good rumour at the legion and I am hoping its true

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Jan 2013, 20:21

Navrat wrote:Either the greatest deal in history or the worse?

Embarassed

(Closest emoticon to 'Holding My Breath' as I could find.)

Back to top Go down

Post by froggie2u36 Thu 03 Jan 2013, 20:14

It must be the greatest deal in history....i mean would Dennis say the vets will be happy if it was the worse?

froggie2u36
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Jan 2013, 20:07

Either the greatest deal in history or the worse?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Jan 2013, 20:01

Six more days!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Jan 2013, 19:41

Greatfoot, as long as it is not PEI mud, that red dirt gets over everything!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next