Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2015 Campaign Promises made to Vets

+13
rucksack031
meathead
Slaket
Jeffery M
czerv
Teentitan
Rifleman
johnny211
BinRat
pinger
bigrex
Dannypaj
17 posters

Page 35 of 70 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 52 ... 70  Next

Go down

2015 Campaign Promises made to Vets - Page 35 Empty Re: 2015 Campaign Promises made to Vets

Post by bigrex Mon 21 Sep 2015, 12:41

Another complication of taxing the new disability pension would be those who received both a PA pension, and a lump sum, or future claims. You would have Veterans getting x number of dollars tax free, and the remainder being taxed, even though it is all meant to compensate for pain and suffering. I just cannot see it happening.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

2015 Campaign Promises made to Vets - Page 35 Empty Re: 2015 Campaign Promises made to Vets

Post by bigrex Mon 21 Sep 2015, 12:33

Yes, but a promise, with no details, is still better than no promise whatsoever. The Tories status quot, isn't getting the job done. The NDP, and a promise to review, doesn't lead me to believe that enough improvements will be made, at least not quickly. So I have to put faith in the Liberals, and that if they follow through with even half of their promises, it will be better than nothing. I would hope that if they are elected, that they fully study the impact their policies, would have on Disabled Veterans. For one thing, how could they properly deduct a tax free lump sum, from a taxable monthly benefit? It is a complicated issue without adding in taxation.

But what do you want to bet that the Tories wait until the last few days of the campaign to make any announcements about our benefits, leaving as little time as possible for Veterans and critics to properly analyze the announcement, trying sway any voters, who, like yourself teen, are leaning more away from the NDP and Liberals, than you are leaning towards the Tories.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Sep 2015, 12:18

Will they still offer the lump sum to those for some reason or another do not want the monthly?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Sep 2015, 12:17

True Teen. I have a question for everyone. If your a Veteran that has had a lump sum under the NVC, would you be ok with just a increase to bring up to the standard? A comfortable increase that is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Mon 21 Sep 2015, 12:09

Like I said Rex they have not thought their promises through.

So a vet is faced with a tax free lump sum or a taxed monthly pension.

Simple question here...is the monthly payment tax free until it matches the tax free lump sum? It's only fair isn't it?

These are the details VETERANS NEED. I am not going to give any party my vote on a "good faith promise" without the details.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Sep 2015, 12:02

I have to say the liberals, the veterans need a life long pension, this is and always has been the cure! There's three piles of shyte and the liberals smell the least. Gotta go with JT No choice I have to put my personal views aside and vote for the party that is at least saying they will improve veterans benefits. Something really scary about Harper I heard from conservatives is that if Harper is elected again this will most surly be his last term as leader of the Cons so it will be his legacy to implement some really cruel tea party like conservative ideas on everything from abortion to human rights to destroying the middle class. Can't go with Harrper to dangerous , Mulclair to vague , JT likes his pot but to bring back life long pensions the best of the three

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:54

I just can't see why they would tax a disability pension, it would just open themselves up to a continuation of the equitas lawsuit, seeking equal treatment as those injured pre-2006.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:46

From the start? Nope. I wanted to see what was offered and how the party would come through. So far lot's of promises no details and that means lot's of trouble down the road.

I have had a bit of an advantage as an advocate. I've seen and spoken to all the players and they are all equally lost in the forest. They say they know what's wrong but when it's time to get it done they have to face the bureaucratic machine and they get pummelled!

What they all have in common though is they will say anything to get your vote so they win. Fighting the machine is not important. It's getting the vote.

Right now I don't know who to vote for....the devil I know or the virgin who will be raped by the bureaucratic machine?

One thing I do know right now it will not be the NDP. As the official opposition they were entitled to be personally briefed by VAC on all new benefits and regulations. So saying they will review the NVC is equivalent to we will stay the course laid out by the Cons and we agree with all the new benefits and regulations brought forward by the Conservatives.

Stoffer is not the saviour everyone thinks he is. If he is the veterans warrior then why did he want to quit politics? I'll tell you why he felt the NDP had a chance and his legacy of being the veterans warrior would be in jeopordy as the Minister of Veterans Affairs.

Last week he said something that no one picked up on when he was talking veteran issues. "If the NDP does not keep the promises to veterans then I will resign from politics"

This is a two fold statement IMO:
1. He will be the scapegoat for the NDP when the NDP CAN'T keep their campaign promises
2. He knows the NDP can't keep their promises because he has been in the loop for the last 5 years as the opposition party.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:31

Sounds to me Teen you've been going with the Cons from the start...am I correct ? What's your input? Stay with nothing or hope they address (cons) the issues at hand?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:30

I know one things for sure. If anyone thinks equitas will get anywhere they're mistaken. That's a dead issue, especially if a new power is voted in. Equitas has they're out. Theyve said well what's been done by cons is a start. What do you think will happen if another party gets in ? What's your opinions on this?I think Equitas is a wash tbh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:26

Nav I can't go with JT because if he runs Canada with deficits I can't help but think of Greece. This kid is making way to many promises and I don't want to live in a country where we are in the hole.

When it's crunch time and JT has to make a payment to the world banks which pension will he come after first? Sure as hell will not be his!

Did it hurt a little that you had to agree with me about the NDP? LOL
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:24

Rex Leslie is JT's wingman so if he says it's taxed it's going to be taxed. Even if the payment is higher then PA payments that means more tax for the GoC and vets get put in the wrong tax bracket which means they will pay higher taxes because JT wants to tax the rich. It will be a vicious circle.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:22

I'm starting to agreed with Teen! I am very disappointed with the NDP and I am a supporter of the NDP ! At this point it's liberal , it's gotta be, we have no choice as veterans we have to vote liberal! I know it's a promise but JT already stated he's gonna run a deficit and if Canada has to borrow money, I don't mine if I get some , better than the rich who don't need it! I actually believe Leslie he's actually saying they will start on day one, it's the best we have at this point

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:17

Playing politics and using veterans as props? Canada has changed and it is a shame. What a choice? The NDP, Conservatives or Liberals.
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 21 Sep 2015, 11:16

I'm not sure Leslie is even aware that even though it is called a pension, it is still a pain and suffering monthly award. I think that they will have a hard time justifying a taxable disability pension, even to replace the lump sum, unless the amounts are drastically higher than what the PA pension offered. Maybe we should get some verification from JT, if he plans on taxing the new lifelong disability pension?
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 70 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 52 ... 70  Next