Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diminished Earning Capacity (DEC)

+30
cdnnavy77
MikeCeeGB
jimmyB1
Zodiac
Hellraiser
puddleduk2
bulldozer
bosn181
Gunner8
peep
45jim
AirLog
SIGS PIGS
Teager
totransit
Newfie
By the Bay
SaintJohn18182
johnny211
Rustytheviking
BinRat
cosmo12
prawnstar
czerv
1993firebird
Vet1234
Dannypaj
pinger
bigrex
34 posters

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Diminished Earning Capacity  (DEC) - Page 11 Empty Re: Diminished Earning Capacity (DEC)

Post by bigrex Sat 02 Feb 2019, 18:51

As of April, when the new PFL comes into effect, you will be able to earn up to $20000/yr, before having any deductions to the IRB. Being DEC only means that you are incapable of earning the type of money you were getting while serving, not incapable of working at all. So even with being DEC, you could work part time, and keep getting your full benefits.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Diminished Earning Capacity  (DEC) - Page 11 Empty Re: Diminished Earning Capacity (DEC)

Post by Guest Sat 02 Feb 2019, 18:50

As of April 1, 2019 veterans who are DEC will have the option to earn up to $20,000 per year before clawbacks.

If is determined you are no longer DEC you could lose the Income Replacement Benefit. The IRB comes into affect on April 1st as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Sat 02 Feb 2019, 18:07

Good evening all. I’ve been on the ELB program since 2013, did the rehab program but still can’t get back to work. Still seeing a psychiatrist. I only just recently found out that I can allly for CIA and I may be eligible for it. So I applied.

I met my case manager last week for the first time, she’s my 4th CM. She seems real nice and helpful, more so that my previous ones. She was shocked that I didn’t know about CIA. But anyway, she also said maybe DEC is an option. I said I don’t want to go DEC because I want to try and get back to work at some point. So my question is, if I did tell my CM I feel That maybe DEC is the best option, will that mean I won’t ever be able to go back to work again? What if I feel I can work in a years time, and go for it, will I lose my dec benefit if I was on it? Just curious because right now I don’t see myself working anytime in the near future, but alot can change in a year, and I’m not sure exactly what steps to take. Thanks

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2018-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Thu 24 Jan 2019, 15:04

LG6 wrote:I know many here provide needed informed information. I often read all the comments and suggestions. Today, once again I read the continued caring, thoughtful words of "BY THE BAY". You words are well spoken and from your own personal experiences. I truly believe your 15 years of professional guidance has help you and now you are helping others. I am impressed! Everyone here please keep up the good works! Cool

I do not have a lot to contribute to society like I once did....but it has and will always be my pleasure to help my fellow veterans.
Like many here, we all rage on when one of our own gets screwed over by the government and we all celebrate when one of our own wins the battle for their benefits. This forum does have its fair share of amazing members who spend hours researching policies and laws just to help answer someone's question. Some members have won the battle and continue to help others stay the course and win.

Cheers,
By the Bay

Last edited by By the Bay on Wed 13 Mar 2019, 23:24; edited 1 time in total
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Jan 2019, 07:28

I know many here provide needed informed information. I often read all the comments and suggestions. Today, once again I read the continued caring, thoughtful words of "BY THE BAY". You words are well spoken and from your own personal experiences. I truly believe your 15 years of professional guidance has help you and now you are helping others. I am impressed! Everyone here please keep up the good works! Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Jan 2019, 00:12

By the Bay wrote:
Bruce72 wrote:
Sleeping Dog wrote:If a person is on ELB for psychological reasons, a condition of the rehab is to attend a psychiatrist, what happens when that vet is declared DEC, They keep ELB but lose their case manager. are you then required to keep seeing a shrink to age 65 in order to keep getting benefits.? If not what happens in the case of a veteran declared DEC , has PTSD but is not seeing a psychologist, at the 2 year mark VAC returns to see if they still qualify for DEC, does that vet just go and see a shrink at an OS I clinic .?

I am DEC for PTSD and it was a requirement that I see a therapist while participating in Rehab, but now I have the choice if I want to continue therapy. I haven't reached the 2 year mark, so I have no idea what the process is then.

I am DEC for PTSD as well. I use to see my psychologist bi-weekly but now I see her every 6 months to keep my records updated for VAC and SISIP. VAC and SISIP were fine with my decision to scale back on my appointments since my sessions weren't helping me anyways because I am too far gone and the doctors could not help me. My doctor did say that she sees many chronic PTSD Veterans only once a year for their updated medical review and that was all VAC and SISIP requires for their files. PS...I am not say that therapy doesn't work...but after 15 years of seeing psychologist, I was fed up with all the "tools" and "suggestions" the doctors threw at me.  I left their offices feeling more anxious and stressed out. So I did myself a favour and stopped allowing other people to dictate to me how I should be feeling or thinking...I finally accepted that I was broken..matter of fact...."you know what? Frack it...it was ok to be broken and I was done hiding my battle wounds." So I took control of my own mental health which lead me to rescuing a dog. She is the best therapist ever😃

Cheers,
By the Bay
yeah, that’s kind of where I’m at, I read somewhere that if a shrink can’t fix you in 24 sessions, you’re kind of just going there for chit chat, I’m thinking it’s okay to be screwed up as long as I know my triggers and avoid them, but I am only ELB and I have to see a psychiatrist to stay in Rehab as a stipulation,and wondered how different it is being DEC , as after the designation do you have to keep going forever...I guess not.

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Thu 24 Jan 2019, 00:04

Bruce72 wrote:
Sleeping Dog wrote:If a person is on ELB for psychological reasons, a condition of the rehab is to attend a psychiatrist, what happens when that vet is declared DEC, They keep ELB but lose their case manager. are you then required to keep seeing a shrink to age 65 in order to keep getting benefits.? If not what happens in the case of a veteran declared DEC , has PTSD but is not seeing a psychologist, at the 2 year mark VAC returns to see if they still qualify for DEC, does that vet just go and see a shrink at an OS I clinic .?

I am DEC for PTSD and it was a requirement that I see a therapist while participating in Rehab, but now I have the choice if I want to continue therapy. I haven't reached the 2 year mark, so I have no idea what the process is then.

I am DEC for PTSD as well. I use to see my psychologist bi-weekly but now I see her every 6 months to keep my records updated for VAC and SISIP. VAC and SISIP were fine with my decision to scale back on my appointments since my sessions weren't helping me anyways because I am too far gone and the doctors could not help me. My doctor did say that she sees many chronic PTSD Veterans only once a year for their updated medical review and that was all VAC and SISIP requires for their files. PS...I am not say that therapy doesn't work...but after 15 years of seeing psychologist, I was fed up with all the "tools" and "suggestions" the doctors threw at me.  I left their offices feeling more anxious and stressed out. So I did myself a favour and stopped allowing other people to dictate to me how I should be feeling or thinking...I finally accepted that I was broken..matter of fact...."you know what? Frack it...it was ok to be broken and I was done hiding my battle wounds." So I took control of my own mental health which lead me to rescuing a dog. She is the best therapist ever😃

Cheers,
By the Bay
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Jan 2019, 23:00

In fact after a decade of therapy, I've just about had enough. There won't be any improvement in the future. At least nothing of any significance. I'm sure the feds wouldn't mind the absence of a bi-weekly psychologist bill too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Jan 2019, 22:53

Last time I checked I was a free man. Requirements of a VAC Rehab program are one thing during that time, but VAC doesn't look over your shoulder forever.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Jan 2019, 22:38

Bruce72 wrote:

if you dont mind sharing how did you arrive at a state where you had a choice

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Jan 2019, 20:13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Jan 2019, 17:56

If a person is on ELB for psychological reasons, a condition of the rehab is to attend a psychiatrist, what happens when that vet is declared DEC, They keep ELB but lose their case manager. are you then required to keep seeing a shrink to age 65 in order to keep getting benefits.? If not what happens in the case of a veteran declared DEC , has PTSD but is not seeing a psychologist, at the 2 year mark VAC returns to see if they still qualify for DEC, does that vet just go and see a shrink at an OS I clinic .?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 19 Jan 2019, 16:26

AirLog wrote:My situation is similar to Teager's. My CM (and the inter-disciplinary board) used my doctor's report on "employment capacity" and my file on VAC to determine me "DEC." No other reports were necessary.

AirLog
both you and Teager mention "Dr. reports" by Dr do you mean physician or psychologist/psychiatrist?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 19 Jan 2019, 09:48

AirLog wrote:My situation is similar to Teager's. My CM (and the inter-disciplinary board) used my doctor's report on "employment capacity" and my file on VAC to determine me "DEC." No other reports were necessary.

AirLog
yes, that`s what I figured was the normal route as I have heard this from other veterans as well , but for some reason my CM handed over my situation to CVVRS despite my PTSD being three times what my physical limitations are. I just dont see the point of my psychiatrist including yet another stranger into the details of my personal life, so what happens now, the Dr. sends the exact same information to a CVVRS rep, they read it, write a report and send it to my CM, and my CM goes, "thanks, I already knew all this"? It just seems odd, and full of red tape.

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Sat 19 Jan 2019, 09:38

My situation is similar to Teager's. My CM (and the inter-disciplinary board) used my doctor's report on "employment capacity" and my file on VAC to determine me "DEC." No other reports were necessary.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2017-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next