Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diminished Earning Capacity (DEC)

+30
cdnnavy77
MikeCeeGB
jimmyB1
Zodiac
Hellraiser
puddleduk2
bulldozer
bosn181
Gunner8
peep
45jim
AirLog
SIGS PIGS
Teager
totransit
Newfie
By the Bay
SaintJohn18182
johnny211
Rustytheviking
BinRat
cosmo12
prawnstar
czerv
1993firebird
Vet1234
Dannypaj
pinger
bigrex
34 posters

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Diminished Earning Capacity  (DEC) - Page 12 Empty Re: Diminished Earning Capacity (DEC)

Post by Teager Sat 19 Jan 2019, 09:24

Sleeping Dog your cm can make the recommendation DEC without doing the assessment but they have to have enough evidence for your case. I did not go through the assessment as my doctors report was enough.

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Diminished Earning Capacity  (DEC) - Page 12 Empty Re: Diminished Earning Capacity (DEC)

Post by Guest Fri 18 Jan 2019, 21:14

bigrex wrote:@ peep ,I've never heard of the term TEL before, but it must basically be the same as ELB.

@ Sleeping Dogs, I don't think that anyone at CVVRS, has the authority to declare you DEC, because they do not work directly for VAC. They may make a recommendation, but I believe it's a board, at your regional office, that makes the final decision, based on all the supporting documents. As far as their training, I know my wife's case manager was a trained Social Worker, and basically had the same type of training, that my wife went back to school for.
no, I realize they don’t declare anyone DEC, but they gather information and write a report submitted to cm/vac, that’s pretty straight forward if they are writing the findings of a veterans results from trying to do mobility tests, but if a veteran’s main disability is mental, how can a novice write anything of any value from a psychological report, I don’t even think they should be having eyes on it considering the release of medical information, I don’t even understand the purpose of this go between. If a veteran is seeing a psychiatrist, isn’t that dr. Already sending reports/updates to a cm every 6 months or so, what could a cvvrs possibility add to the document

Back to top Go down

Post by Rustytheviking Fri 18 Jan 2019, 20:03

Is anyone on dec eligible for the srb? I’ve been dec since June last year. Don’t remember if that was mentioned in my paperwork

Rustytheviking
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2017-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 18 Jan 2019, 19:29

@ peep ,I've never heard of the term TEL before, but it must basically be the same as ELB.

@ Sleeping Dogs, I don't think that anyone at CVVRS, has the authority to declare you DEC, because they do not work directly for VAC. They may make a recommendation, but I believe it's a board, at your regional office, that makes the final decision, based on all the supporting documents. As far as their training, I know my wife's case manager was a trained Social Worker, and basically had the same type of training, that my wife went back to school for.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Jan 2019, 17:30

bigrex wrote:Sleeping Dogs, It all depends on why you are seeking the DEC. If it's becasue of a physical disability, then you will be sent to be assessed by an occupational therapist. If its' for PTSD or other psychological impairment, then they would need supporting documents from your mental health team (psychiatrist or psychologist).
Thanks, yes I have that information, I am actually a combination of both, I just wonder what the background is of the CVVRS as all we did was talk over the phone. I have medical and psychological forms, but what exactly is their background as their write up can make or break an application? especially when a layman is reading someones psychiatrist reports.

Back to top Go down

Post by peep Fri 18 Jan 2019, 17:27

I have TEL or Temporary Earnings Loss. Is that the same as ELB?

Last edited by peep on Fri 18 Jan 2019, 17:49; edited 1 time in total
peep
peep
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 843
Registration date : 2012-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 18 Jan 2019, 17:14

Sleeping Dogs, It all depends on why you are seeking the DEC. If it's becasue of a physical disability, then you will be sent to be assessed by an occupational therapist. If its' for PTSD or other psychological impairment, then they would need supporting documents from your mental health team (psychiatrist or psychologist).
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 18 Jan 2019, 17:05

Peep, it's the Supplemental Retirement Benefit. It's basically a one time lump sum payment (taxable), that equals 2% of all the money that you were entitled to, under the ELB, before any deductions. It was supposed to be paid out at age 65, but because of the new IRB, being paid for life, the SRb is being eliminated. They said that anyone getting ELB, will get their SRB payment in April.

So if your average monthly ELB amount was $4500, over a 10 year period, then your SRB would be roughly $10800.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Jan 2019, 16:54

Does anyone know the credentials of the CVVRS reps who write to VAC to decide if you are DEC? Are they nurses, social workers, occupational therapists, psychologists or just university students?

Back to top Go down

Post by peep Fri 18 Jan 2019, 15:46

I was just finally approved Dec today!
So putting in for CIA supplement finally. It also says I can apply for SRB. Interesting, what’s that?
peep
peep
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 843
Registration date : 2012-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 18 Jan 2019, 14:21

Well, I believe they say it's 66.6% of your "imputed" income. So it's your military income at release, plus the cumulative Cost of Living Adjustments (COLA), since your release. It would also likely use pre-tax amounts. If you are working full time, chances are, that you will not be deemed DEC.

I
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Jan 2019, 12:17

bigrex wrote:Technically you can be deemed DEC, if you are extremely limited in how many hours you can work, and unable to earn I believe it's 66.6% of your military pay, But it's really hard to say. .Also, with the new IRB, which will supposedly allow you to earn up to $20000/year from employment, without any deductions, t doesn't discourage severely disabled Veterans, from trying to find a part time job. That is at least, as long as the legislation isn't written so that the money can only be earned by those who are only getting short term IRB, and have not been deemed DEC.
this requirement to need to be able to earn 66.6% of your income you had when you left the military, is that based on your pay from the year you left of current standards? Suppose a sgt. Got out in 1980 and his pay was $50,000 but in 2019 sgts now make $60,000 a year. Also is this # before or after deductions? As 60% of 50,000 is $30,000 . Do you need to take a job that pays that a year before or after taxes?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 12 Jan 2019, 12:37

johnny211 wrote:Sleeping Dog - I wouldn’t get to wrapped up on a reassessment. I thought I would be reassessed at the 2 yr Mark also. But that came and went. I asked about it one day, and she said, as I’m DEC, over 100%, and can never work that I will not be doing another assessment. Not sure if age plays a factor in this, I’m closer to 60. I have heard the same fm my Vet brothers. Johnny Out, VVV..
Bravo Zulu

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Sat 12 Jan 2019, 11:45

Sleeping Dog - I wouldn’t get to wrapped up on a reassessment. I thought I would be reassessed at the 2 yr Mark also. But that came and went. I asked about it one day, and she said, as I’m DEC, over 100%, and can never work that I will not be doing another assessment. Not sure if age plays a factor in this, I’m closer to 60. I have heard the same fm my Vet brothers. Johnny Out, VVV..
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 12 Jan 2019, 11:03

Bruce72 wrote:
Sleeping Dog wrote:...If you are declared DEC do you lose your CM, I read somewhere that VAC closes your file at that point as you`re not in REHAB any longer?

I too lost my CM when I was deemed DEC in November. I had a few CM's over the years and she was the best of them. Never once did she insinuate anything or give me a hard time. Can't say the same for the others. And she respected my privacy too. I hated to have to give her up.
Wow, that’s too bad. Here’s a question,..suppose a veteran started receiving ELB on Jan 1 2019, and they receiving ELB for the next 18 months, then they are determined to have DEC in mid 2020. I understand that DEC is re-evaluated every 2 years, so would VAC consider the two year mark to be Jan1/2021? (Jan1/2019 to Jan1/2021) or would they assess from the date you were officially declared DEC, say if that date was July1 2021,would they go two years forward of that, and re-evaluate July1 2023.? ( Jul1-2021 to Jul1-2023).

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next