Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pension for life new policies are out - check them out!!

+20
Teager
daverobitaille@rogers.com
Crockett
Iceman
MikeCeeGB
Rubicon
Gunner8
Nemo
czerv
umbrella001
Zodiac
bosn181
XMedic
Rifleman
Whodunit
propat
By the Bay
johnny211
bigrex
cosmo12
24 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Pension for life new policies are out - check them out!! - Page 2 Empty Appeal

Post by Crockett Wed 24 Apr 2019, 08:13

I've never been so frustrated with a process, it's stressful on so many levels. When I started the process it was for Chronic pain but apparently according to VAC that is not a diagnosis...so a year after my first application was submitted, I was told I had to re-do the medical questionaire stating it was bursitis. I blindly followed their direction and that is on me, however, bursitis falls under OA in policy so I never really questioned it. Had I known this would downgrade my level of award I would have went with OA in the first place. I didn't even have a CM until last August, so I had no one to ask at the time for more clarification. I'm sure most on here know the frustration of asking a question to VAC and receiving a standard response as a reply. Now I'm worried that this will interfere with my DEC decision because in their mind why couldn't someone work with only a 13% disability(hips and knee). So just like last year I have to figure out how to live off a LS and then pray that I am granted another favorable decision.

Crockett
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2019-04-04

Back to top Go down

Pension for life new policies are out - check them out!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Pension for life new policies are out - check them out!!

Post by Guest Wed 24 Apr 2019, 06:11

Appeal- if you are limited in mobility, the bench mark is 300' when walking and then you have to rest, stairs are another factor, limitations must be stated to your doctor as well as written by yourself!
OA is very limiting in damp cold climates and painful and weakening not something you can push through, mine was caused by the lovely air mattresses that wouldn't hold air and would wake up in the night with frozen hips. I never claimed OA because of my maxed out percentage but that would be my reason for claiming. Any time you can do a separate claim in my experience it is best to go that route.
When they bundle injuries together they get the better deal, and it's all about saving money to them. Be prepared
Study your injury and its affects because its only going to worsen and fighting over and over is not enjoyable,
Don't lie just recall the worst period of time you suffered because if not already it will become the norm..

Back to top Go down

Pension for life new policies are out - check them out!! - Page 2 Empty 4/5 or 5/5

Post by Crockett Wed 24 Apr 2019, 05:38

Is that the percentage rate?  There is no where on the letter where it states anything other than 5% for one hip and 3% for the other.  Actually my condition has worsened, in fact by looking at their sheet, it seems they used the first doctors questionaire which was changed a year into the process by their request. I totally understand that they have to be thorough and I think most people would be less frustrated with the process if they could just process applications on time.

Crockett
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Pension for life new policies are out - check them out!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Pension for life new policies are out - check them out!!

Post by bigrex Tue 23 Apr 2019, 22:36

Yes, you could submit a second claim for OA, but it would be treated like a new claim. and if approved, the conditions would be bracketed. But to be clear, what was your entitlement listed as? 4/5, or 5/5, or did they give you something lower, which would explain the low assessment? But honestly, regardless of why you are unhappy with the assessment, you should be seeking an appeal, not a reassessment, which are meant to be used, if the condition has worsened, since your application was first submitted.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Pension for life new policies are out - check them out!! - Page 2 Empty Medical Remedy

Post by Crockett Tue 23 Apr 2019, 20:09

My doctor has stated no improvement is likely.  I'm pretty sure I also have OA in my hips because it has progress to pain in the groin area not just the bursae, the last Xray didn't show anything.  So I'm not sure how to proceed, can you just put in another claim for a different issue in the hips.  Can I just get the doctor to do another questionaire to send in with my re-assessment...or do I have to start all over.  When I started this process I looked up if Bursitis was claimable and it actually is covered under their policy for OA of the hip.   Still not sure why this is such a problem but if I have to submit again...I will.  Just not looking forward to the year long wait.

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/health-support/physical-health-and-wellness/compensation-illness-injury/disability-benefits/benefits-determined/entitlement-eligibility-guidelines/osteoosteo

Medical Conditions Which Are To Be Included In Entitlement / Assessment
OA of the hip:

trochanteric bursitis

Crockett
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 23 Apr 2019, 17:37

I think it's the fact that for even severe cases, it can be remedied with day surgery.

So I think that this is holding you up.

"Medical Stability": For pension/award/compensation purposes, an entitled disability is considered to be medically stabilized when it is unlikely to change substantially in the next 12 months, with or without medical treatment. Over time there may be some change, however, no further recovery is anticipated. When the prognosis is for early improvement, as after remedial surgery, the Department will determine when the condition is considered to be stabilized for assessment purposes.

So unless your doctor has written that your Bursitis, is not expected to improve over the next year, even with surgery, I can't see them granting a full pension, at least not right away.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Pension for life new policies are out - check them out!! - Page 2 Empty Except that Policy doesn't state that loss of function of lower hip is different for different diagnosis.

Post by Crockett Tue 23 Apr 2019, 15:38

Still, no matter the diagnosis, if the policy states as it does...the rating is based on loss of function lower hip and my doctors assessment showed a 50% loss then why should I have to argue the point.  The fact that they are not following their own policy...just drives me around the bend. Not to mention that I have chronic bursitis...it is a permanent condition.

Crockett
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 23 Apr 2019, 14:38

OK, after some reading, I will say that it is the diagnosis that is hurting your case, not the actual symptoms. Because if the vast majority of those who suffer from it, manage it quite easily, and without surgery, it's probably hard to accept that it's causing a severe disability. Now, If you could get a diagnosis of Arthritis of the hip, because it's a permanent medical condition, I feel you would get a higher assessment.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BinRat Tue 23 Apr 2019, 14:31

Crockett

Yup I have GTB on both hips as well, pensioned. Not sure of the % as all my Docs are in my trailer still, and I wont be back there for a few more weeks, but on my Knees, Mine are BPFS Both knee's

BinRat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 271

Back to top Go down

Pension for life new policies are out - check them out!! - Page 2 Empty Trochanteric bursitis of both hips and OA of both knees.

Post by Crockett Tue 23 Apr 2019, 12:29

It seems to me that because it was diagnosed as Trochanteric Bursitis in the hips they downgraded the decision. However this has been ongoing since 2006, I've been through physio twice had cortisone shots in both hips two or three times, lost half my range of motion in both hips and have been recently told I should work no more than part-time. I just did my statement for re-assessment and sent it in...I'm hoping this is not a year long event again. Also on VAC rehab they sent my stuff in for a decision on DEC, I'm worried that this decision will effect the outcome of that decision. If that happens, I'm seriously screwed.

Crockett
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 23 Apr 2019, 11:12

If you don't mind me asking, what is the claimed condition? There may be something that I can help clear up, or offer guidance, as to how to get a higher assessment.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Pension for life new policies are out - check them out!! - Page 2 Empty So, I just got the decsion letter...still a joke.

Post by Crockett Tue 23 Apr 2019, 11:04

It does not state anywhere in the letter that it is an initial decision, just that if it worsens to contact the department...which I did before I even received the letter. I went through every bit of policy, matched my medical docs, doctors notes and employment capacity doctors report. By their own policy on how to determine the amount on an award, they are way off. The fact that I have to go back and start this whole process over to get what is clearly stated really irks me. Anyway, sorry about the rant, but the idea of waiting another two years just pisses me off.

Crockett
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Apr 2019, 19:28

Teager wrote:Anyone ever notice that there is nothing from this PFL if you are a POW? I know under the old system the one prior to the NVC there was some sort of allowance. I find this rather insulting. Our enemies today don't follow any rules so if you make it out alive your gonna be pretty lucky. I just think if we can pay a terrorist 10 million for being captured and tortured but if that happens to our own you get absolutely nothing.
PFL one size fits all, don't think there will ever be a POW benefit again, like you said with the sick twisted ideologies if you get taken prisoner you won't have a head to complain outta anyways! The same should work both ways because it costs to much to have mercy. Omar Khadr wasn't tortured put him on a seventies style combat leaders then he can say he knows torture!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Apr 2019, 19:16

Teager wrote:Anyone ever notice that there is nothing from this PFL if you are a POW? I know under the old system the one prior to the NVC there was some sort of allowance. I find this rather insulting. Our enemies today don't follow any rules so if you make it out alive your gonna be pretty lucky. I just think if we can pay a terrorist 10 million for being captured and tortured but if that happens to our own you get absolutely nothing.
I would say 100% PTSD Disability.?

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Mon 22 Apr 2019, 18:31

Anyone ever notice that there is nothing from this PFL if you are a POW? I know under the old system the one prior to the NVC there was some sort of allowance. I find this rather insulting. Our enemies today don't follow any rules so if you make it out alive your gonna be pretty lucky. I just think if we can pay a terrorist 10 million for being captured and tortured but if that happens to our own you get absolutely nothing.

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next