Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Those class members who are not reinstated are getting hosed

+7
Sapper Zodiak
peep
puddleduk2
pteadams2002
1993firebird
MaggieinNB
bigrex
11 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Those class members who are not reinstated are getting hosed - Page 3 Empty Re: Those class members who are not reinstated are getting hosed

Post by Guest Sun 13 Jan 2013, 15:07

DChd ,nobody is left behing here, spoke to a vet yesterday how did not even know he was eligible for the deal. If you do loose some money it will not be much, even thow I am not in your situation (i believed I was) I would still accept the deal. How much will I pay in taxes and fees? A lot then you that is for sure. The rest is due to me. Will I actually pay out of pocket, I do not care. It's over and to me that is all that maters.

Back to top Go down

Those class members who are not reinstated are getting hosed - Page 3 Empty Re: Those class members who are not reinstated are getting hosed

Post by Wife of a Veteran Sun 13 Jan 2013, 14:18

Last edited by Wife of a Veteran on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 20:36; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

Wife of a Veteran
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by peep Sun 13 Jan 2013, 14:11

Hum..... I will not fully know till I am restarted.
peep
peep
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 843
Registration date : 2012-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Jan 2013, 14:09

Only looking forward, never look back, don't dwell in the past, Peter got on here and explained, again, How many times does everyone have to be reminded , this deal is the BEST we will ever get, So I am 100 percent the judge will approve it, and yes DCHD, I have a perma-grin , from one side of my face to the other, and no vet in this deal is left behind, you get what you are entitled to, this is not welfare!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Jan 2013, 13:46

See Navrat made out better then most so he's happy
Sign the deal hey Navrat
Leave no VET behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Jan 2013, 11:48

Peter, you deserve every cent you asked for, thanks for explaining this to us. I also believe it's the best way to go forward, thanks again for a great settlement!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Jan 2013, 10:53

Class Members. I won't wade into the discussion on fees as that is now up to the Court. There has been some excellent discussion on this issue in this forum. I would only make the following comments on the mechanics of how we propose to have the fee dealt with. In trying to come up with manner in which we are paid, across 7500 members all in different financial and personal circumstances, we agonized over the fairest way to achieve this so that class members could get on with their lives with a one time payment. Is it perfect? Probably not. Is it the best of the alternatives? We think so and that is why we put it forward. In the end the Court will asses this and rule on both the amount and manner we propose to be paid, which is completely separate from the "Yes" of "No" approval of the Proposed Agreement. Hope this helps.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Jan 2013, 09:57

Nope, not going to happen, law firm will get there money, Why , because they did a service for , and we have to pay for what we agreed to, would you rather pay 30 percent, this is the best deal out there and on Monday Peter will be back to explain, this discussion is making us look weak , lets pay the man and move on

Back to top Go down

Post by 1993firebird Sun 13 Jan 2013, 09:53

Please delete my profile , thank you.

1993firebird
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 1993firebird Sun 13 Jan 2013, 09:49

Do you think its realistic to pay money for something that you will not get ever? Do you think that the Law Firm and lawyer will not survive without the 65 million dollars right now? Do you think that the Law Firm and lawyers made no other money during the 6 to 8 years of this class action lawsuit? Will they lose their homes , wifes and families because they can not provide for them and have physical outbursts of rage against them? Can't wait , the hell they can't wait. No one is worth that much money for anything they do. The Law Firm can pay the lawyers with 32 million and collect the rest yearly for the Law Firm without the Law Firm going bankrupt.

1993firebird
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1993firebird Sun 13 Jan 2013, 09:29

Also take it from the retro of people who are getting more than two years retro as that is people who are TPI , 7.5% everyone pays for the first two years and then those who got money after the first two years pay another 7.5% on the retro after the first two years and until 65.

Now I am done
Everyone all the best.

1993firebird
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1993firebird Sun 13 Jan 2013, 09:19

Be realistic , you think that the Law Firm did 65 million dollars worth of work over a 6 to 8 year period. There are months and months in between court dates and delays , etc. They can easily cover there expenses with 32 million now , living like millionaires and get the remaining amount from those moving forward with payments to 65 INSTEAD OF TAKING IT FROM PEOPLE WHO DO NOT GET MONEY PAST THE FIRST TWO YEARS.

I am done with this topic.

1993firebird
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Jan 2013, 08:40

Sapper if you made 48 % of you money in interest so say

you had 100 000.00 ok you now have 148 000.00 them legal fees and taxes at 48-50% you now have say 75 000.00

you lost 25% in taxes and legal fees of you original money.

And for taking interest of ahead until age 65 is better for you of course it is if your like 60 - 65 years of age.

Now look at a short timer

i get back about 16 000.00 of my original 27 000.00
So i paid back i lose 41% to legal fees and taxes.

And if had to pay ahead 15% of SISIP for 20 years i would be paying back

225 dollar per month times 12 = 2700 per year times 20 years 54 000.00 dollars my friend look 10 years from now i start going back into the hole and start losing money agian.

So people what about the ZERO SUM PEOPLE NOW SUCKS HEY!!!

Well i made out good, SHAME!!!

LEAVE NO VET BEHIND

Back to top Go down

Post by RCN-Retired Sun 13 Jan 2013, 01:12

I have been watching and reading and not making many comments since joining this forum but feel that tonight I must. I have read all of the comments and stories and have some pretty heart wrenching stories myself if wanted to tell. I would like to think that I am a fairly educated man but in reading the pages and pages of the settlement terms and all the comments on the various forums I am at a loss of just what the truth and/or real facts are. Upon being released I was a CPO1 (CWO for you grunts haha) and seen and fought so hard for my subordinates for the abuse they were taking from the flag and some senior officers in MARITIME COMMAND as well as the killing and dead one had to deal with that it left me with PTSD and Major Depression. My children and wife were afraid of me, our relationships suffered greatly, my life along with my families life was turned upside down. Myself, like pretty much all of you had to fight and continue to fight each and everyday with VAC for treatment. I have not been able to work at all since being released over 13 years ago, the continued thoughts that go through my brain and the embarrassment that I feel as well as the sense of failure in that I was not able to do more for the men and women in my charge haunts me. Is this deal a good deal? Perhaps! Are we, the ones that willingly went into harms way so others could live better lives going to also be able to have better lives ahead? Perhaps! But any money that one may receive now will not rid my life of the demons that linger. I am fed up with politicians, they lie, they cheat, they steal and worst of all they can sleep at night when the demons they awarded to me come out to play. Do we owe this young Cpl that started all of this a great deal? We sure do, he had the courage to stay the course and fight once again for what he knew was right. Who would have ever thought that all that was needed was a corporal to bring the government to their knees. ha ha great for you Dennis, i would have been proud to have you posted to my unit. Now the law firm? Well I do appreciate what they have been able to do and yes they took on a risk when taking up our plight, they have spent it would seem a bit more then a million dollars in defending us and have gained a return of over 60 million dollars. I guess this is better than what they could have asked for a gain of over 170 million dollars. But lets face it the courts would not have approved all of that, i am thinking 8-10 percent should suffice and be more than enough to cover the risk they took in taking on this class action but I can live with the 15 I think they can absorb the extra 2.7%. In the end the politicians, well they will be happy and able to sleep, the lawyers they too will be happy and able to sleep and need I say a great deal richer. The soldier that was lied to by our politicians, cheated out of money and kicked to the curb? It is true they too may have a bit more money, some may even be happy but for some of us the demons will return regardless of what we receive from this settlement and to me that does not make me a winner. Tomorrow many of us will wake and continue to fight our government through VAC, the media well they will be off reporting on something but after all the years they have known about the plight of the soldier they make a little report but god forbid the take up our circumstance and keep the fact that the politicians are stealing and abusing us in the news to build the awareness of the public that we so desperately need. Well we fought so they could have free speech but I guess they don't want to wear it out telling our story. Where the hell is the media? In my part of the country all four local news, CTV, CBC, Globel and CHEK they gave more time to local sports this past Wednesday, than they did to the veterans who had millions stolen from them while we were in the war zones defending their right for free speech. Guess we loose there hey, because if we have to go beg them to keep this story in the news, what a shame! I have said enough it is time to watch some more of everyone's comments. My final word is we need to write to the judge, tell him our concerns, we are afraid to say much because we cannot trust those that we elected to represent us in the House of Commons as they are surely not happy and most definitely would like to just see this and I am sure most of us just go away. God Bless and good night. Chief Petty Officer First Class (Retired)
RCN-Retired
RCN-Retired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2012-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 13 Jan 2013, 00:40

Sapper, I never said that you were getting 100% of your money, but lets look at some numbers. I am owed $35000 retro plus interest of roughly $10000. The legal fees on $45000 is $7965. If I had been reinstated at that old disability rating, back to 2006, I would be getting $166354 after interest, and paying $29444 for legal fees.

Now since I'm only 41, if there were no more indexation between now and when I turn 65, I would earn an additional $20645 yearly for 24 years, equaling $495480. Add that amount to my retro of $166354 and I will have earned a total of $661834. Now that $29444 now only represents 4.4% of my total earnings from the lawsuit. now add yearly increases to that and the legal fees will likely equal less that 1%.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next