Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legal Fees (Assorted Topics)

+27
oldsailor
Dove96
Wife of a Veteran
tiger660
1993firebird
sabrelove
ceedee
beleaf67
puddleduk2
DeeCee
Newfie
Rags
MaggieinNB
Nemo
meathead
pteadams2002
dennismanuge
froggie2u36
OldZipperhead
bigrex
sailor964
Sapper Zodiak
peep
acerman1234
K9
Teentitan
snrnavcom
31 posters

Page 55 of 67 Previous  1 ... 29 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 61 ... 67  Next

Go down

Legal Fees (Assorted Topics) - Page 55 Empty Re: Legal Fees (Assorted Topics)

Post by Guest Sun 30 Dec 2012, 01:02

Looks like another internet Troll who is bored online, named LMFAO, who found our forum. And he is extremely envious of us. It must have low self esteem.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Dec 2012, 00:31

Dear oh God isnt going to help me... Religion is the ROOT of all EVIL... as for $ for $... oh ok ya that will work.... it's about %'s to bad you have to pay it but as the arguement has been if this classaction didnt win then you wouldnt have to worry about lawyers fee etc... Suck it up people and enjoy what you will findly get...... but from what I have read most will be pissing the $$$ away anyhow... maybe the powers to be here should get the lawyers to set up financial counseling for those that will need it...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Dec 2012, 00:24

you need to read a Purpose driven life ....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Dec 2012, 23:45

The same argument could be used for having each member pay an equal share of the lawyers' bill, that is, I pay a dollar, you pay a dollar, and everyone else pays a dollar each, considering that each of us was represented equally by the lawyers.

Or are you saying that a 100k person was represented more than a 1k person?

Are all the pigs equal or not?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Dec 2012, 23:12

So much for unity and sticking together.... At the end of the day its just about $$$$... and from what I see its every person for himself... You flipping people preach equality for all VETERANS well that means % also.But when the $$$$ get into the equation so much for brother in ARMS... Flipping people they never fail to amaze me..... As for maximum saying power... this classaction is for everyone and everyone is equal.... Just so amazing...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Dec 2012, 22:10

A person with 300k skin in this lawsuit should have maximum say.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Dec 2012, 16:58

id actually be happy to be in that position though.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Dec 2012, 16:57

noooooooo lol.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Dec 2012, 16:54

propat wrote:i think id be up for trading cheques with anyone getting 300,000 id take that big fee hit.anyone in that psition want to trade?

just my oppinion

propat

And if you were in the $300k position, would you be willing to trade cheques with a $3k? Just to pay LESS in fees?

Just asking.

Back to top Go down

Post by dennismanuge Fri 28 Dec 2012, 16:47

As you can also see, zero sum folks have been paramount from the beginning, the snippet and reference above is ftrom Senate committee May 7, 2008

Late in December, 2012, another 250 zero sum class members were "found" by the process put in place due to the legal victory. So those people did not have to find us we found them...

dennismanuge
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2012-12-04

http://leavenovetbehind.ca/home

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Dec 2012, 16:45

i think id be up for trading cheques with anyone getting 300,000 id take that big fee hit.anyone in that psition want to trade?

just my oppinion

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by dennismanuge Fri 28 Dec 2012, 16:45

dennismanuge wrote:http://www.parl.gc.ca/Content/SEN/Committee/392/vete/05evb-e.htm?Language=E&Parl=39&Ses=2&comm_id=79

Proceedings of the Subcommittee on Veterans Affairs

Issue 5 - Evidence - May 7, 2008

Dennis Manuge, as an individual: Thank you, honourable chair and senators. I need only three minutes to illuminate a more human side to the issue. I will stay on topic and I will be brief.

I am a disabled former member of the Canadian Forces, having served from 1994 until my medically-required release in 2003. My service included Bosnia from March to October 2001. I am also the representative plaintiff in a proposed class action filed in Federal Court against the Government of Canada, seeking to end the clawback of Pension Act disability awards from SISIP long-term disability payments.

I want to thank this committee for giving me the opportunity to speak on this issue. Rather than discuss the class action, my intention is to speak to you concerning the unfairness of the clawback, my personal experiences with this, and the experiences of other disabled former members as they have been recounted to me. I consider myself lucky. Since my medically required release in 2003, I have been able to transition to a civilian life. No transition is easy and mine was no exception. If I could ask this honourable committee to place itself in the shoes of a regular member such as myself in 2003, who was medically required to leave the forces and transition to civilian life. I have lost my job. I still have the same financial commitments and bills. I have lost a way of life. I am disabled. I am no longer useful to the Canadian Forces. I am unable to continue to use the skills I learned in the forces. I am 33 years of age.

I have emphasized ``medically-required release'' because, through no fault of my own or the Canadian Forces, for that matter, I am no longer useful because of my disability. How I am treated, however, is controlled by the Canadian Forces and the Government of Canada. Here is how it looks from the ground in 2003: As a result of my injury, I apply for and am awarded a disability award under the Pension Act. I am still useful at this stage, so I receive 100 per cent of my salary from the Canadian Forces as well as a monthly disability award under the Pension Act while serving. I am involuntarily medically discharged. I am not longer useful. On my release, I receive SISIP LTD representing 75 per cent of my salary, clawed back by the amount of my VAC monthly disability award. This takes place during the most personally and financially challenging period of my life. The extra $386.28 I would have received had my disability award not been clawed back at this time could hardly be described as lucrative under the circumstances. The frustration I experienced in trying to understand the clawback at the time is indescribable.

The impact of a disabling injury is entirely dependent upon your continued usefulness to the Canadian Forces. For example, under this system, if you injure your knee in a game of hockey and are still useful in your capacity as a member, you receive 100 per cent of your salary and a disability award. If you lose your knee and can no longer serve, you are subject to the clawback. From a disabled member's perspective, it is difficult to understand and fundamentally unfair. As I said at the outset, I consider myself lucky. Yes, I experienced a difficult transition, but it is nothing compared to other former members I have spoken to who are totally and permanently disabled and continue to have the SISIP LTD clawed back. A number of them suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder. I can only conclude from speaking with members that their frustration and feelings of uselessness and abandonment are magnified 10-fold, especially when they compare themselves to the hockey injury example.

There are two other situations that I would ask the committee to consider: First, zero sum — the amount disabled veterans receive under the Pension Act disentitles them to any SISIP LTD whatsoever; and second, retroactive SISIP LTD recovery — a disability award is retroactively made after the former member is in receipt of a SISIP LTD and the lump sum clawback is aggressively pursued by SISIP at a time when the former member is most vulnerable.

In closing, I want to advise this committee that these proceedings have, for the first time in a long time, given me some hope that the government will do the right thing. I am an unlikely plaintiff but, after watching the ``bright pink line'' of the ombudsman's recommendations end and remain at the office of the then minister of defence in 2003; after watching the motion to adopt the recommendations being ignored; and with the New Veterans Charter that addresses the issue on a go-forward basis and the non-binding motion in the House of Commons, it is time for me to stand up for disabled former members of the Canadian Forces. After watching this committee do its work last week, I now have faith that I am not alone.

The Chair: Thank you, Mr. Manuge, it was valuable for us to hear directly from someone who has gone through the system. If I could summarize, the meat of your testimony seems to be that small injuries benefit the troops because they get their pay and the LTD, whereas those with big injuries are penalized, released and only receive 75 per cent of their salary?

Mr. Manuge: With respect, I would not say that it is an added benefit to the still-serving member because they are still injured in some capacity.

The Chair: Financially, they are getting more, are they not?

Mr. Manuge: Absolutely. They have injured themselves in service to the country. On the flip side, when the uniform comes off and you are rejected by the forces, the trouble begins. I remind you that my 20 per cent disability and $386.28 at the time pales in comparison to $1,500 or $2,000 a month that many of the veterans I am in contact with suffer in the clawback.

dennismanuge
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dennismanuge Fri 28 Dec 2012, 16:30

Only about 2% of the class will pay little or no fees, that is the reality and again, I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

D

dennismanuge
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dennismanuge Fri 28 Dec 2012, 16:28

Unfortunately we have to work within the framework of Canadian laws, not USA, etc...this is how class action law works in Canada, plain and simple, and the notice to the class falls under the parameters of the law, which our judge agreed to back in 2008 when we were fist certifies as a class action. He was well informed of notification intentions and how they would work and he agreed. So really the notification issue has little or nothing to do with me or McInnes Cooper as we followed the letter of the law, and won, again I might add.

Hopefully by expecting the worst some of you may actually be pleasantly surprised when you get to see the settlement notification which will again be approved by the judge following the letter of the law.

Cheers
D

dennismanuge
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Dec 2012, 16:18

I am just going to voice my opinion here about the potential legal fees, and that is all it is, my opinion.

If the requirement to move the case forward with the lawyers was to agree to a possible 30% fee, if I was looking at getting awarded $10,000, I might be comfortable agreeing to it, but on the other hand, if I was looking at getting awarded $300,000, I might be a little more hesitant to sign on the line if it meant giving up $90,000. Just my opinion, but with little to gain, I would be more likely to sign away a percentage than if I stood to gain alot.

Therefore, I do not support a percentage fee schedule. It should be as ironman says, actual compensation for actual work. The lawyers did not work any longer or any harder for the client that gets $100,000, nor did they work any less for the client that gets $1,000. Fees should be a flat rate per capita, and I am not really interested in any others' notions of 'fairness'.

Of course, having been in the military, and not looked after by DND, VAC, SISIP or any other conglomeration of letters making up acronyms, I have very little faith in 'fair' outcomes and will only look forward to closing my eyes when I get hit with the bucket of shit called the settlement.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 55 of 67 Previous  1 ... 29 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 61 ... 67  Next