Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is the Law Firm acting on behalf of class members with regard to appealing SISIP's decision for non TPI due to the member not submitting medical documentation at the 18 and 24 month period due to their VAC amount being more than their SISIP amount?

3 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Is the Law Firm acting on behalf of class members with regard to appealing SISIP's decision for non TPI due to the member not submitting medical documentation at the 18 and 24 month period due to their VAC amount being more than their SISIP amount? Empty Re: Is the Law Firm acting on behalf of class members with regard to appealing SISIP's decision for non TPI due to the member not submitting medical documentation at the 18 and 24 month period due to their VAC amount being more than their SISIP amount?

Post by Guest Mon 08 Apr 2013, 23:17

I'm actually in the process of seeing if I can appeal SISIP's initial denial through MC. When I was 3B'd out of the Reg. Force, I applied but was denied benefits from SISIP. After speaking to MC, they believe that I was indeed entitled to 24 months at 75% my salary which SISIP never paid out to me. I was in receipt of CPP-D benefits when I initially applied and wasn't getting anything from VAC. It took me 10 years of fighting VAC to get a full pension but I've always felt that I was getting screwed when I was first released because I had absolutely no income coming in other than CPP-D.
It's all in MC hands now and I don't mind paying them should I end up "winning" my appeal which i should've received when i first applied.

Back to top Go down

Is the Law Firm acting on behalf of class members with regard to appealing SISIP's decision for non TPI due to the member not submitting medical documentation at the 18 and 24 month period due to their VAC amount being more than their SISIP amount? Empty Re: Is the Law Firm acting on behalf of class members with regard to appealing SISIP's decision for non TPI due to the member not submitting medical documentation at the 18 and 24 month period due to their VAC amount being more than their SISIP amount?

Post by Teentitan Mon 08 Apr 2013, 21:02

firebird if you go to the leave no vet behind website and read the affidavits there is an explanation by the law firm about billing going forward money. And I believe they explain how they came to the total of going forward. They didn't make it up they used a theoretical explanation of percentages and lawsuit total of money.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 1993firebird Mon 08 Apr 2013, 18:02

I am getting two years retro for the first 24 months. Now I am appealing to be deem TPI so that I can get retro after the first 24 months to current date. As I said at the time there was no point in filling out an application and sending in medical reports because my VAC is more than my SISIP amount which means that I do not get anything but that is all changed now. Whether I get TPI on my own or through the Law Firm , legal fees on the extra retro will be small compared to monthly payments for the next 22 years with no legal fees.

1993firebird
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 1993firebird Mon 08 Apr 2013, 17:55

Oh , I thought that SISIP came up with the $888 million amount based on members retro plus going forward amount to age 65. So the law firm is the one who asked for a percentage of $888 million which is a number they made up.

1993firebird
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1993firebird Mon 08 Apr 2013, 17:52

My name is on the zero sum list

1993firebird
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wife of a Veteran Mon 08 Apr 2013, 17:19

Also if you are on either the1st or 2nd "zero sum" list then your process will be easier.
Contact McInnis Cooper and or SISIP to find out if yor name is on either of these list.

Wife of a Veteran
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Apr 2013, 17:13

Teen, what if we do not sign the disclaimer they are talking about (the I won't sue about this again form that is supposed to come with the cheque?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Mon 08 Apr 2013, 17:10

The opt out window is closed. But the memo may change that.

Last edited by teentitan on Tue 09 Apr 2013, 01:22; edited 1 time in total
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Apr 2013, 17:08

If you accept the cheque for Retro from SISIP/MC then you are considered as part of the Class Action and thereby fall under the rules of the settlement. As part of the Class action MC will provide adjucators to help with getting you your TPI and therefore will also collect payment if you are granted TPI (even if you choose not to use the adjucator and end up doing everything yourself)

I am not certain but i believe that if you choose to decline the retro cheque then you are able to opt out and attempt to get TPI on your own.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Mon 08 Apr 2013, 17:07

OK here's the clarification of the legal fees and the "real" amount of the lawsuit as I understand it.

The only money that the law firm can bill is retro active money. That total is $424.3 million.

There is an 8% charge for legal fees, plus HST/GST, and .079% for disbursements.

So ignore the 4% and the $887 million. These are massaged figures that the law firm brought up in their submitted bill. Because it was submitted back in February the Judge was obligated to comment on it.

There is NO billing on going forward payment ($887 - $424.3 = $462.7). The reason the law firm cannot bill anyone on the $462.7 is because it is not a fixed amount. For example lets say 15 clients at age 50 who are permanently disabled and will be on LTD until age 65 die. That means SISIP does not have to pay 15 years of LTD to 15 clients.

So that is why ANY law firm in ANY lawsuit cannot charge legal fees on going forward money. Death screws up the fixed amount.

Now to get back to your original question firebird yes you have to pay the lawyer because without them winning the lawsuit none of us would be getting any of our retro back. Because you did not bother applying back in 2009 because your VAC payment zeroed it out you are not eligible to get that money.

You just have to do one more step that I do not have to do to get my retro...finish the application with SISIP. If and when SISIP approves your application your money is considered retroactive money that was part of the lawsuit's victory.

Sorry no way around or out of it you have to pay.

Last edited by teentitan on Tue 09 Apr 2013, 01:21; edited 1 time in total
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1993firebird Mon 08 Apr 2013, 16:57

I joined the class in Dec 2011. Non TPI , only getting two years retro. Now appealing decision because VAC amount was more than SISIP amount so there was no point in getting medical information to give to SISIP because I would not get any money anyway due to clawback.

1993firebird
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Apr 2013, 16:53

firebird.
There is no going forward fees, it is just 8% on retro, the 888 million was a rough figure that the Judge based his remark, with respect to the 4%.
This remark of 4% confused many.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next