Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diminished Earning Capacity (DEC)

+30
cdnnavy77
MikeCeeGB
jimmyB1
Zodiac
Hellraiser
puddleduk2
bulldozer
bosn181
Gunner8
peep
45jim
AirLog
SIGS PIGS
Teager
totransit
Newfie
By the Bay
SaintJohn18182
johnny211
Rustytheviking
BinRat
cosmo12
prawnstar
czerv
1993firebird
Vet1234
Dannypaj
pinger
bigrex
34 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Diminished Earning Capacity  (DEC) - Page 9 Empty Re: Diminished Earning Capacity (DEC)

Post by Guest Tue 12 Feb 2019, 12:02

Gunner8 wrote:I just got approved for CIA. It only took a few weeks when I filled out the form on January 14. I’ve been on ELB since 2013, not sure when or if I will be able to work again. A couple weeks ago when I met my case manager she had mentioned DEC and I wasn’t to sure about that because I thought if I went DEC then I would not be able to work again. But after some questions on this site I figured DEC may be a good option since cia supplement is another financial asset if i am DEC and won’t be after April 1.

So yesterday I called my CM and she told me that if I went DEC I wouldn’t get CIA supplement because that’s only for ppl who are 100% disabled and need help around the house to do things that they can’t. She also said somethin is going to replace cia supplement in april.
I’m not sure what to do now. I really believe I can get approved for DEC with support from my CM, and psychiatrist. Is there anything else I can do? It’s kind of a let down. When I met my CM face to face she seemed right helpful and that she wanted best for me. Now all of a sudden I call her and it seems like she couldn’t wait to get off the phone. Frustrating.

Gunner
There are people here, who are DEC but not 100% so she`s throwing you a fast ball. If someone is DEC their injuries are supposed to be reassessed very 2 years to see if they still meet the requirements of DEC, though I think if you are 100% disabled VAC may not require that testing. I think they pick and choose. There is nothing posted on line that says there is anything replacing CIAS april 1. It is simply going to disappear and so is the $12-1400 a month or whatever it is. If I were you I would INSIST she recommend you, it doesnt gurantee you`ll get it, but at least she will have done her part, and halt any bad blood that may start brewing between you two if she does nothing. there is still 6 weeks before apr 1, get it started and immediately open a CIAS application and you should be fine. ...just my two cents.

Back to top Go down

Diminished Earning Capacity  (DEC) - Page 9 Empty Re: Diminished Earning Capacity (DEC)

Post by Gunner8 Tue 12 Feb 2019, 11:21

I just got approved for CIA. It only took a few weeks when I filled out the form on January 14. I’ve been on ELB since 2013, not sure when or if I will be able to work again. A couple weeks ago when I met my case manager she had mentioned DEC and I wasn’t to sure about that because I thought if I went DEC then I would not be able to work again. But after some questions on this site I figured DEC may be a good option since cia supplement is another financial asset if i am DEC and won’t be after April 1.

So yesterday I called my CM and she told me that if I went DEC I wouldn’t get CIA supplement because that’s only for ppl who are 100% disabled and need help around the house to do things that they can’t. She also said somethin is going to replace cia supplement in april.
I’m not sure what to do now. I really believe I can get approved for DEC with support from my CM, and psychiatrist. Is there anything else I can do? It’s kind of a let down. When I met my CM face to face she seemed right helpful and that she wanted best for me. Now all of a sudden I call her and it seems like she couldn’t wait to get off the phone. Frustrating.

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 331
Registration date : 2018-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Feb 2019, 13:53

Howie1 wrote:Thanks Rex, appreciate the information. Does anyone know if you need your CM's approval to apply for DEC or is it something you can apply for on your own?
Cm starts ball rolling after you direct them to, it doesn’t guarantee a positive outcome just that the wheels should be put in motion, after that vac contracts the March of dimes organization to take over the reins for assssments/reports

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Feb 2019, 13:41

Thanks Rex, appreciate the information. Does anyone know if you need your CM's approval to apply for DEC or is it something you can apply for on your own?

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 08 Feb 2019, 13:00

If you do not have at least a the application for CIAS, into VAC by the end of March, then you will not be able to apply for it, after April 1st. They are completely eliminating the benefit altogether. But that does not mean that it can never be reinstated, in the future, by a different government, trying to buy the Veterans' vote.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Diminished Earning Capacity  (DEC) - Page 9 Empty Question on DEC

Post by Guest Fri 08 Feb 2019, 12:52

So just a couple of questions and hopefully someone would know the answers to. If im currently just getting CIA and trying to push for DEC, does the CM have to allow you to apply for it, or can you just apply for it on your own?
Next question is if you do not apply for DEC/CIAS by april 1st, do you lose the ability to get CIAS? Like is the CIAS gone forever or just renamed something else?

Thanks in advance!

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Mon 04 Feb 2019, 20:27

Okay. I’ll mention that to my CM and see if she can get it all done together as well. That way I’ll still be eligible for CIA supplement if approved for DEC.
it would suck if I got approved for DEC then they say will your not eligible for cia supplement because it’s april now and it doesn’t exist anymore.

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 04 Feb 2019, 19:54

My CM applied for DEC, CIA and CIAS at the same time. The CIAS decision, was merely put on hold, until they decided upon the DEC.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Feb 2019, 17:08

Gunner8 wrote:Okay. And once you was determined DeC you automatically got CIA supplement?

No I had to apply for the CIAS and request a review of current CIA level.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Mon 04 Feb 2019, 17:06

Okay. And once you was determined DeC you automatically got CIA supplement?

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Feb 2019, 16:58

Gunner8 wrote:Okay i wil contact my Cm and see what she says. If I did put in a new form right now I still won’t be able to fill it out any different tho until I am confirmed DEC because the supplement part only asked if u are DEC. hopefully she will have an answer.
How long does DEC usually take to determine?  

Gunner

It was approximately 7 weeks for my DEC adjudication.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Mon 04 Feb 2019, 16:51

Okay i wil contact my Cm and see what she says. If I did put in a new form right now I still won’t be able to fill it out any different tho until I am confirmed DEC because the supplement part only asked if u are DEC. hopefully she will have an answer.
How long does DEC usually take to determine?

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 04 Feb 2019, 11:50

Gunner, you can ask your CM, if you would need to submit a new application, or if she could just have the existing CIA application modified, to include the CIAS. Either way, if you don't officially request it, they won't even look at it, even if you do get the DEC determination.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Feb 2019, 10:29

bigrex wrote:yes, but only if you also submit the CIAS application, before the April 1st cut off. So I would get hold of youe CM this week, so that you can get the process started ASAP. And you never know, things could be approved really fast, depending on the amount of documentation that they already have, and you could be approved for DEC and CIAS, before April. I've heard of other Veterans getting approved, within a month or so, so it is possible.
does your Cm need any involvement to apply for CIAS the way they do to initiate your dec, or is it just a matter of the veteran clicking on that cia. Form to initiate the process if dec has already been initiated, even though not yet granted?

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Mon 04 Feb 2019, 10:02

I already applied for the CIA a few weeks ago. The cia supplement is on the same form as well. It just asks two questions, which is are you DEC, and do u want to apply for a cia increase as a result for your DEC. So at the time I checked no for both. I guess this puts me in a tricky situation?

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next