Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diminished Earning Capacity (DEC)

+30
cdnnavy77
MikeCeeGB
jimmyB1
Zodiac
Hellraiser
puddleduk2
bulldozer
bosn181
Gunner8
peep
45jim
AirLog
SIGS PIGS
Teager
totransit
Newfie
By the Bay
SaintJohn18182
johnny211
Rustytheviking
BinRat
cosmo12
prawnstar
czerv
1993firebird
Vet1234
Dannypaj
pinger
bigrex
34 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Diminished Earning Capacity  (DEC) - Page 10 Empty Re: Diminished Earning Capacity (DEC)

Post by bigrex Mon 04 Feb 2019, 09:49

yes, but only if you also submit the CIAS application, before the April 1st cut off. So I would get hold of youe CM this week, so that you can get the process started ASAP. And you never know, things could be approved really fast, depending on the amount of documentation that they already have, and you could be approved for DEC and CIAS, before April. I've heard of other Veterans getting approved, within a month or so, so it is possible.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Diminished Earning Capacity  (DEC) - Page 10 Empty Re: Diminished Earning Capacity (DEC)

Post by Gunner8 Sun 03 Feb 2019, 23:08

Bigrex, I suffer from ptsd. So if my CM recommends it and my mental health provider recommends it as well, but let’s say it’s not all decided until after aptil 1, I will still be eligible for cia supplement?

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 331
Registration date : 2018-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 03 Feb 2019, 22:55

Gunner, If she does agree that DEC is a possibility, what is required will depend on the types of disabilities you suffer from. If you have a severe physical disability, like degenerative disk disease, they will send you for an assessment with an occupational therapist, to determine any physical limitations to employment. If you suffer from an OSI, like PTSD, they will request a report from your mental health provider, to see if they feel whether or not, you can work.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Feb 2019, 20:15

Gunner8 wrote:Also if she did recommend me DEC how long does that take? Would I need to be declared DEC before April 1 to get the cia supplement?
my understanding is that as long as the ball is rolling between now and April 1, if you are declared dec after April 1, you are grandfathered in,

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Sun 03 Feb 2019, 19:35

Also if she did recommend me DEC how long does that take? Would I need to be declared DEC before April 1 to get the cia supplement?

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Sun 03 Feb 2019, 17:20

So all I have to do for DEC is ask my CM to recommend it? There’s no papers or claims I fill out on myvacaccount?

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Feb 2019, 12:48

Gunner8 wrote:Are they replacing the cia supplement with something else?
That seems like a lot of financial cut to anyone needing those benefits.
I think I will contact my CM ASAP to see if she can recommend DEC for me. Thanks for that information folks, that is really a huge change in benefits.

Gunner
that’s the kicker, they changed a few names of things, but from what I read, CIAs is the only think that is totally disappearing with no replacement, if you qualify now, that’s a loss of $1200-1400 a month or whatever it is if you wait TIL after April 1 and the hear about it for the first time, or finally decide to apply for something you’ve heard about for years, only to be told it doesn’t exist anymore. If you qualify, what damaged vet wouldn’t benefit from an extra $12000+ a year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Sun 03 Feb 2019, 12:25

Are they replacing the cia supplement with something else?
That seems like a lot of financial cut to anyone needing those benefits.
I think I will contact my CM ASAP to see if she can recommend DEC for me. Thanks for that information folks, that is really a huge change in benefits.

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Feb 2019, 12:18

bosn181 wrote:yes elb which is  90% of pre release salary or the minimum they pay which is $48000 i think, is going to be changed to irb 90% pre release salary and that can go up in % depending on how many years of 20 year career you had left to serve going up by 1% a year up to 20 years of your service or age 60 i think, but if you get the cia supplement already they will take the greater of the two seeing you can't have both. you can apply for cia which is changing names to additional pain and suffering and tax free but dropping you down in payment from what it is at now so i get $1245 a month taxable and it will drop down to $1000 a month tax free so you pay the tax anyways for me seeing i income split and have the disability tax credit i would have been better off staying at the $1245. if you are deemed dec you can apply for the cias which is the supplement and taxable.  you ask how much is dec, that is when you can apply for the cia supplement and i think it's just over $1100 a month.  for anyone after april 1 2019 who does not have any of these already or have applied for them before april 1 2019  they will be putting them in a bundle pack and you can find out more about that on my vac account. hope this answers some of what your asking and i am sure someone can explain it way better then me.
dec is just an extension of ELB, no extra money just it continues to 65 if you can’t work, as opposed to just being on ELB, which can end after 2 years...or sooner if you don’t comply with the requirements of your rehab program. If you are declared to have DEC you will almost certainly be granted CIAS, but after April 1, there is no more suppliment. Your wisest choice would be to ask your CM to recommend you for dec/CIAs before April 1. If circumstances change and you heal enough to join the workforce, that’s a plus in itself...however if you’re too busted for years to come, the combo of dec/CIAs can make life a little easier, as you may never work again, at least not at anything meaningful

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Feb 2019, 09:58

Gunner8 wrote:I heard CIA supplement won’t be available after April 1? So does that mean there won’t be any financial benefit for DEC?

Diminished Earnings Capacity qualifies a vet for long term financial support by way of Extended Earnings Loss Benefits or the soon to be Income Replacement Benefit for life. That is the financial benefit you are wondering about.

The CIA supplement is being eliminated after April 1st unfortunately.

Last edited by Bruce72 on Sun 03 Feb 2019, 11:25; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected info)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Sun 03 Feb 2019, 09:28

I heard CIA supplement won’t be available after April 1? So does that mean there won’t be any financial benefit for DEC?

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 03 Feb 2019, 01:52

DEC isn't a benefit. It's merely a classification given to those Veterans, that VAC has determined, are unable to earn at least 66.6% of their military salary, due to being disabled. You need to be deemed DEC, for IRB to be extended for life, instead of just short term, while partaking in the rehab program.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bosn181 Sun 03 Feb 2019, 00:56

yes elb which is  90% of pre release salary or the minimum they pay which is $48000 i think, is going to be changed to irb 90% pre release salary and that can go up in % depending on how many years of 20 year career you had left to serve going up by 1% a year up to 20 years of your service or age 60 i think, but if you get the cia supplement already they will take the greater of the two seeing you can't have both. you can apply for cia which is changing names to additional pain and suffering and tax free but dropping you down in payment from what it is at now so i get $1245 a month taxable and it will drop down to $1000 a month tax free so you pay the tax anyways for me seeing i income split and have the disability tax credit i would have been better off staying at the $1245. if you are deemed dec you can apply for the cias which is the supplement and taxable.  you ask how much is dec, that is when you can apply for the cia supplement and i think it's just over $1100 a month.  for anyone after april 1 2019 who does not have any of these already or have applied for them before april 1 2019  they will be putting them in a bundle pack and you can find out more about that on my vac account. hope this answers some of what your asking and i am sure someone can explain it way better then me.

bosn181
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2017-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Sun 03 Feb 2019, 00:07

Ok, so IRB is the new name for ELB? Also, ELB is 90% of pre release salary, so how much is DEC , and is it taxed? Is DEC same as cia supplement? My apologies about all the questions, I’m not real familiar with everything. Thanks

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 02 Feb 2019, 18:57

bigrex wrote:As of April, when the new PFL comes into effect, you will be able to earn up to $20000/yr, before having any deductions to the IRB. Being DEC only means that you are incapable of earning the type of money you were getting while serving, not incapable of working at all. So even with being DEC, you could work part time, and keep getting your full benefits.

Thanks for explaining it better bigrex.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next