Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When is the next Sit Rep from Lawyers?

+2
puddleduk2
bigrex
6 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

When is the next Sit Rep from Lawyers?  - Page 6 Empty Re: When is the next Sit Rep from Lawyers?

Post by puddleduk2 Mon 10 Dec 2012, 20:01

This was covered under the forum months ago, only legal fees associated with a legal action having to do with wage loss are deductible. It's is under the Canada revenue agencies site.
puddleduk2
puddleduk2
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2012-10-15

Back to top Go down

When is the next Sit Rep from Lawyers?  - Page 6 Empty Re: When is the next Sit Rep from Lawyers?

Post by puddleduk2 Mon 10 Dec 2012, 20:00

They, the government have certainly figured on the legal fee's being used as a deduction in what they will gain in their future revenue (taxes), from this they are less likely to hand over anymore than necessary to finish this.
puddleduk2
puddleduk2
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2012-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 10 Dec 2012, 19:49

Yes, she has stuck with through some pretty trying years since my health has gone to Shite, and I love her more for it. Damages, and not just what was owed, has never been completely ruled out. Peter has said that the government have been reluctant to pay "additional money for damages", but that they were still being negotiated. That was before the crackdown on information being released, so I can continue to be optimistic that they will pay something. As for the other stuff, like tax fees being deductible, that is great, but it doesn't make up for taking a lesser settlement. ie: no additional money to compensate for pain and suffering caused by the clawback.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Dec 2012, 19:33

Without damages how can that possibly be a happy settlement, and without legal fees that darn right spoils Christmas, but hey even a lump of coal is something, and this settlement without damages and legal fees spells coal no matter how you look at it. Remember we are the 60 percent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Dec 2012, 19:30

Perhaps colzula, that is what Peter meant when he referred to "family" being happy - legal fees tax deductiable et al. That would make logical sense to me because of family taxes. BigRex, for my husband and I, we both are affected by the Ltd clawback individually as spousal retired vets. I can understand your thoughts though about family. That is called unconditional love you dear wife has for you friend.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Dec 2012, 19:19

I know one thing based on all the research and internal sources ...i have ..or have had --Additional damages aren't happening-- Any money we received legally is considered Damages ...but our definition of additional damages isn't happening ...Why, I would guess we will be happier, in addition to our retro and interest, is the tax advantages ( legal fees being deductible and taxes payable over a long period of time) ..... This isn't a Xmas gift this is money we are owed ...so no big surprises ! - As always, i firmly believe we will be happy with the package even Acerman will smile! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 10 Dec 2012, 19:10

Only Peter knows what it meant, if it meant anything. Quite honestly, my wife knows or cares very little about the lawsuit, in spite of my participation or the eventual payout. So in my case, my family will only be happy if I say that they should be happy about it, and I suspect that is the case with most involved.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Dec 2012, 18:44

Bigrex, was it ever determined what Peter was referring to in his last memo in regards to the families being "happy" ? Several here were wondering if that was a significant reference or just a generalization which would seem insensitive if it was off the cuff as there are countless vets who are not with family, isolated, divorced and struggling to keep it together on their own.. So the comment registered with me as being odd unless it has a meaning behind it??? sparrow

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 10 Dec 2012, 18:39

We have been told that an update is due this week. It should explain why the hearings have been delayed until January, and hopefully other pertinent information, like damages??? (fingers and toes crossed)
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

When is the next Sit Rep from Lawyers?  - Page 6 Empty When is the next Sit Rep from Lawyers?

Post by Guest Mon 10 Dec 2012, 18:30

What if anything can we expect prior to the end of the year?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6