Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

28 September Memo

+4
K9
meathead
peep
liverlover
8 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

28 September Memo - Page 2 Empty Re: 28 September Memo

Post by Guest Sat 29 Sep 2012, 09:50

Listen bit lost in your question and just finish night shift so bear with me.

The only reason people opt out is because they think they have a better chance alone with another lawyer.
Nobody does anything to opt of a class action (extremelly rarely) your are always included. You might be at this time include in class actions that you don't even know about. Rogers wireless overcharge or activa yagourd that just recently settle....ect

You become a class member if you only satisfy the class description made by the juge. If you don't you are out, it's not for you.
However, if you opted because you wanted to sue by youlself and suddelly you want back in,
you can opt in again, subject to the court approbation. Better have a goog reason to opt in again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Sep 2012, 08:47

Thanks Vall,
I found that site and I know all members are in but some people opted out with the lawyers but will still be entitled to their money once this case is approved.

To opted in or out is just to fall under the lawyers firm to fight with them to become a member of the lawyers law suite and will pay a fee in doing so.

The people that opted out still get their money they just dont pay the lawyers is this correct???? it has to be

I emailed them and i havent heard from them yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Sep 2012, 08:26

DCHD I change the link, give it a shut again or else I don't know

Previous post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Sep 2012, 08:20

I don't know how many box has to be open (if they had keep them) because in 1976 i don't think they had put the data in computers. But i'm happy if they go at this date, also if it's maybe hurting the final amount. I will wait and see.............

But i think some people beginning to understand that they have to know before they will send money that they have to decided the time frame of the retro, after find people, widows,survivors, after doublechecking data by our lawfirm, after writing checks knowing the final amount that it will cost, BUT before doing that ............................ Negociations. So it's why i think we can not do any speculation about the amount of the money we will receive at the end, or the date we will have someting in our mailbox (we had the date of the judgement but it can changed depends on how it goes).

So, for me as everybody knows, i put all my trust in the legal team to make the better deal for all of us, that everybody respect each other on this forum, and wait for the final decision.

i know sometimes we had bad days, try a punching bag or a stress ball, take distance to the situation to evacuate or eliminate the frustration, it's better for the health.

For me i take the positive WE WIN against the GOC oups......... Dennis Mannuge and the legal team WIN for me. Thanks to them, i'm lucky that we had people like that Smile

Je me souviens

Grosgig (vandoos)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Sep 2012, 08:14

Hello thanks but the link dont work

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Sep 2012, 07:18

DCHD Just for your info - Its on the First Document of the Lawsuit - The must say who are the Class. I put the link below for you

ORDER
THIS COURT ORDERS that this motion to certify this proceeding as a class action is allowed on the following terms:

1. This action is certified as a class action;
2. The class is described as:

“all former members of the Canadian Forces whose long-term disability benefits under S.I.S.I.P. Policy No. 901102 were reduced by the amount of their VAC Disability benefits received pursuant to the Pension Act (the “Class”) from April 17, 1985 to date.”

http://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/en/2008/2008fc624/2008fc624.html

Last edited by vall2012 on Sat 29 Sep 2012, 08:24; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Sep 2012, 07:06

Good Call Bigrex, I believe that the people that have opted out knows what going on or at least most of them.

But yes the people from the 70 ties and 80 ties may not.

I was talks with a guy how did get out i n the early 80 ties and was medically released and had no clue of this.

Also what about the widows from then to now I believe no one sent them a letter about this. I believe the Lawyers firm should have sent letter to all members of this class.

And I myself how just got out in 2010 found out like 3-4 months ago because i went to the base while talking to some buddies.

Also I sent an email to the lawyers firm on Thurday to see if i am a part of this class action and I still haven't heard from them i was released in Apr 2010. Nas was told by someone in here that a was automatically in.

But not 100% sure yet

But yes get the word out it may hurt us the larger it gets but justice is justice

Chimo

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 29 Sep 2012, 01:45

Good question. Maybe Peter should tell the DoJ lawyers that they need to spend some of the Governments millions for advertising to take out some commercial time on ALL Canadian TV stations, telling any Veteran who collected SISIP, between 1976 until present, but had it reduced by amounts received from Veterans Affairs, or their survivors, to contact the law firm. The law firm probably has peoples names, but no contact info for all of them.

Also, I don't think there are going to be as many as people have been speculating, since for the longest time, SISIP was only given to those who were released for non service related injuries, and could not qualify for VAC pensions. Sure , some may have had to pay back SISIP, if they were awarded PA pensions later, if the back pay overlapped, but I don't think it will be that numerous.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Sep 2012, 00:56

In reference to zero sum clawbacked clients calling Sisip Oct 9th to commence reinstatement. My concern is for those clients that have not read the memo and have no contact or access to this forum for that directive. How will they know to call Sisip? That is not fair for them is it? What ramifications will this have on their files and claims? sparrow

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 29 Sep 2012, 00:42

I think they have offered to change the ELB because they were afraid of public perception. If it was found illegal to deduct PA pensions for pain and suffering from the CF's income replacement plan, then how could they justify continuing the practice of deducting the same pensions from the VAC's income replacement plan, which they admit was modeled after the SISIP policy. They knew the questions wouldn't go away if they didn't make the changes voluntarily.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Sep 2012, 00:22

SISIP LTD and ELB are two different battles, one we paid for and are fighting in the courts; the second is a freebie from Vac. How they are somehow connected is a mystery to me.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 29 Sep 2012, 00:20

Sailor, the ELB and other clawbacks by VAC will stop but not anytime soon. Blaney has to submit the changes to parliament and be voted upon, but as far as I can tell he has not even placed it on the order paper for a vote. He has already broken at 2 promises on this, first was the promise to release information about what he will be doing and how long it will take by the end of August, which he still as yet to do. And he also promised to table the changes the first week of the HoC resuming, and that also has yet to be done.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sailor964 Sat 29 Sep 2012, 00:04

The big question is will the clawbacks stop not only with sisip but ELB and any other benefit being clawed back.
sailor964
sailor964
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 124

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Sep 2012, 23:40

Nothing is going to get paid without a court order navrat, I think you know that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Sep 2012, 21:11

I agree , Pigeons, I believe the government never wanted to go back farther than 2002 . Now they are thinking,hey this is going to cost a fortune, and on top of it we now have all these people over a course of 35 years since 1976 who are going to e getting monthly payments until 65 .Government not happy. Also on the 9 of Oct once we contact sisip, does the monthly payment start immediately.Lots of questions

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next