Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Its coming fast, lets start mailing the judge

5 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Its coming fast, lets start mailing the judge - Page 6 Empty Re: Its coming fast, lets start mailing the judge

Post by Guest Sun 18 Nov 2012, 13:19

right you are teen it was not just the tories but the liberals as well.obviously not the ndp.i allways keep in mind that the tories are the ones that fought this class of disabled vets for years to keep from paying them what they lawfully owe them when the could have settled then.they fought this for years with dirty little tricks trying to use technicalities to keep this from becomming a class ore at least sending everything back to the drawing board.they have fought us for years and for their sins i will remember that for the rest of my life.and fore the rest of my life they will only get from me what they deseve and never again the benifit of the doubt.
allways question athority
propat

Back to top Go down

Its coming fast, lets start mailing the judge - Page 6 Empty Re: Its coming fast, lets start mailing the judge

Post by Guest Sun 18 Nov 2012, 13:08

Class Members,

While we do not discourage class members from writing to the Court, we are suggesting that members wait until full details of the proposed resolution are released as we believe it will address all issues raised by the class, at least in part. As such by waiting you will be able to make submissions on particular points rather than making submissions based on speculation.

Two key points to remember, as outlined in our previous memorandums: 1) damages still form part of the negotiations and 2) pursuant to the Federal Court Rules, the Court does not have the power to award costs (i.e. legal fees) against the Government. If this were an option, we would pursue costs.

Regards,

Peter

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sun 18 Nov 2012, 13:00

RCN-Retired the Conservatives were not in violation of the law...40+ years of all governments were in violation of the law. The Harper Conservatives dropped the challenge and said fix it!
Two words not spoken by a PM previous to Harper. Rather the two words spoken were Shut Up.

Riducle my stance all you want but I have said it before and I will say it again...Harper, in this situation, saw the light and is fixing it for us vets. Now we keep on him to change other bad policies and procedures that veterans have to fight on a daily basis! But give the man his dues on settling this issue and I will take this stance with anyLiberal or NDP trying to get support on an issue they ignored for 40+ years.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Nov 2012, 12:53

navrat now aint the time buds.im sure you know all to well that i will be writing but i will send my letter after i see the agreement not before.
propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Nov 2012, 11:44

Why would the judge be pissed off? This is beyond VVi, only about 10 percent of the class is represented through VVi, a lot of people are writing and doing things behind the scene, the law firm has already told us no damages , no legal fees. Because its a settlement , damages will be hard to get, but the legal fees might be an easier thing for the judge to decide, because the legal fees are decided after the judge decides whether or not this settlement is in the best interests of both parties, and i have been told by some very creditable people that just presenting a settlement to the judge , means that both our lawyers and the GOC lawyers have already agreed, it is very unlikely the judge will rule against it because both sides have already agreed to it. That's why in Dennis previous post he said he would laugh at the letters and such sent to the judge because it would not change anything. So what I am getting at is unless the settlement is so one sided , the judge will more than likly approve it. Once approved then he rules on legal fees and this is where I think and a whole load of people that our starting this letter campaign think, that the judge has leeway to make a judgement against the GOC to cover our legal fees. Hey it's worth 30 percent so even if you are only getting say 30000 that's still 9000 extra dollars in your pocket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Nov 2012, 10:56

Hey Navrat, why don't we wait until we see what the firm has done for us? Otherwise we may have one pissed of Judge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Nov 2012, 08:52

Great news, RCN-Retired, its the least the GOC can do.

Back to top Go down

Post by RCN-Retired Sun 18 Nov 2012, 02:41

I certainly think it prudent to also write or speak to our MPs, I was at a function this evening and I spoke to mine, she is NDP but very up on the clawback situation. Jean Crowder is on her way back to Ottawa in the morning and has indicated she will follow up with her colleagues as she agreed that the GOC should be picking up the legal fees since it is the Conservatives that have violated the law.
RCN-Retired
RCN-Retired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2012-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Nov 2012, 15:15

Thanks k9 , good info, now lets write and flood the federal court with letters

Back to top Go down

Post by K9 Sat 17 Nov 2012, 14:41

The Honourable Robert L. Barnes
Address: Federal Court, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0H9.

Credit: Paul Darrow
Born in 1951 at New Westminster, British Columbia. Educated at Acadia University (BA Hons. 1974) and Dalhousie University (LLB 1977). Called to the bars of British Columbia and Nova Scotia in 1978. Appointed Queens Counsel (1995). Partner of Burchell, Hayman, Parish in Halifax, Nova Scotia (1985-2005). Part-time lecturer at Dalhousie University Faculty of Law (1986-1995). Served as Vice-President of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, Geneva, Switzerland (2004-2005) and President of the Canadian Red Cross Society (2001-2004). Chair of the Nova Scotia Barristers' Liability Claims Fund (1993-1998) and member of the Canadian Lawyers' Insurance Association Advisory Board (1993-1998). Recipient of the Nova Scotia Barristers' Society Distinguished Service Award (2005). Appointed Judge of the Federal Court and ex officio member of the Federal Court of Appeal on November 22, 2005. Recipient of the Dalhousie University Weldon Award for Unselfish Public Service (2006). Recipient of the Order of Red Cross (2006). Appointed as a Judge of the Court Martial Appeal Court of Canada on September 21, 2006. Address: Federal Court, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0H9.
K9
K9
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Its coming fast, lets start mailing the judge - Page 6 Empty let's do this

Post by Guest Sat 17 Nov 2012, 13:27

Do you have his address, I'm having a hard time finding it.

I think its the least they can do for us. Sins it wasn't any of our side's idea to delay it all the way up to the suprime cort. It should be automatic in my opionion that if you try to delay proceeding and its found that you loos the dissision anyway you should have to pay the other sides legal fees. that would put and end to alot of big companise delaying or draging out court procedures because they have the money and the time to do so. especialy when it dosent take a scientist to see that it was elegaly and imoraly wrong to have been doing it this hole time.

Pro Patria

Back to top Go down

Its coming fast, lets start mailing the judge - Page 6 Empty Its coming fast, lets start mailing the judge

Post by Guest Sat 17 Nov 2012, 12:09

As everyone knows the settlement is done and i think it might be the time to start writing Judge Barnes regarding the legal fees. I believe if enought pressure is put on him, I was told, because alot of people at the legion are writing, Judge Barnes can order that our legal fees be covered by the GOC. He only has the power to accept or reject the settlement, but i was told there is a push going on right now to flood him with letters asking for legal fees to be covered since at the most this could be 30 percent of our reward, and that amount will help take away the sting of no damages. Just thought you guys would like to know there is movement elsewhere to try and influence the judge. If we get the settlement 14 of DEC and then it goes back to judge Barnes for approval on 15 of Jan, Once he approves it, then he decides legal fees, this is the time he can throw out making the GOC pay. So its in everyones interest to send him a letter, if it works its 30 percent in our pocket Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6