Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Career Impact Allowance (CIA)

+59
derngt
Iceman
VetWife
propat
daverobitaille@rogers.com
Gunner8
Rubicon
coppers2002
rmsclk
140AESOP
XMedic
SIGS PIGS
sports1977
AirLog
kennyturcotte
sports_1977
armyvet83
red510
Newfie
rmsclk836
Tilap61
Paratrooper
lyonhart
Nemo
By the Bay
Yump5555
frustrated
acerman1234
861Cook
GPO75
Willie
Gardener101
Armygunner
Teager
321HTRCN
Rustytheviking
Dannypaj
abetterway
bosn181
LostTrucker
Newf
tetech
Panserbjørn
1sea0shell33
1993firebird
LawnBoy77777
Vet1234
vaincre
cosmo12
srproctor
Rifleman
Sapper Zodiak
czerv
pinger
johnny211
bigrex
BinRat
Teentitan
63 posters

Page 34 of 47 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40 ... 47  Next

Go down

Career Impact Allowance (CIA) - Page 34 Empty Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA)

Post by johnny211 Thu 16 Feb 2017, 17:43

Cuervo - I concur with all bigrex said. Mine was for mental, PTSD, severe anxiety issue, related to a couple of events. I went a bit of different, went on VOC rehab, back to college for a year, all the while doing my pscy appointments, graduated, started a job, but the demons came back, as they do, and I could not hold the job. Told CM, back and did another assessment thru my pscy for VAC, and she deemed, as well as a letter from family Dr, that I could no longer hold a job. Hope this helps. We all mostly have done different routes to TPI.
Johnny Out,,VVV
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Thu 16 Feb 2017, 17:18

I applied Aug 4 2016. My Medical documents were received by VAC on September 26, 2016. I had my decision the 31 October 2016.
I was denied my PIA/S in the October decision because I had not been deemed TPI.
I was designated TPI 5 Nov, 2016 and re applied for PIA/S through MyVac the same day.
I was granted PIA/S within a week of being deemed TPI. The PIA/S was dated back to the date which I was deemed TPI.
There is no waiting for PIA/S. If you receive PIA and are TPI, you will get your PIA/S shortly after you apply.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by abetterway Thu 16 Feb 2017, 14:30

Thanks Bigrex for that.

My TPI is now being decided and a friend of mine told me you have to wait 24 months after you start the PIA, before vac will look at PIAS.

Cheers. Bigrex.
Have yourself a good one. sunny sunny sunny

abetterway
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2013-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 16 Feb 2017, 14:26

Abetterway, I'm not sure about wait times now, but in 2012 when I applied, I think the PIA was approved in around 4 weeks, the TPI was approved in around 7-8 weeks, and the PIAS was approved a few weeks after that.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by abetterway Thu 16 Feb 2017, 14:15

Thanks Trooper, Bigrex and Vet1234.

Once VAC determines you to be totally and permanently incapacitated.(TPI).

Big rex when you were TPI ed. How long did you wait before you received the supplement.

Cheers
John. sunny sunny sunny

Last edited by abetterway on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 14:27; edited 1 time in total

abetterway
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 16 Feb 2017, 14:15

I agree with Vet. I applied for PIA/PIAS and ELB at the same time. The PIA and ELB were approved right away, and the PIAS decision was delayed until the TPI determination was made. They shouldn't just deny PIAS, until they have all the information available.

Czerv. the TPI determination depends on the reason you are seeking the determination. In my case, it was physical, and I had to undergo a two day assessment by an Occupational Therapist, who assesses strength, dexterity, fine motor skills,mobility, etc. After the test, which is called a Functionality Assessment, the OT will submit a report on what type of employment you are suitable for, and how many hours you are able to work. If the workable hours are zero, or reduced to a point where finding employment would be impossible, they will likely deem you TPI.

As far as being deemed TPI for psychiatric conditions, I believe VAC only requires a report from a Psychiatrist, also detailing how your condition relates to possible employment limitations. If I am incorrect, we have several CSAT members who are very knowledgeable on this subject, that may guide you on the correct path.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv Thu 16 Feb 2017, 13:49

How does the TPI process looks like? Who does the assessment? and what happens during the assessment?
Any points would be greatly appreciated.

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Thu 16 Feb 2017, 12:57

To Follow up on what Trooper said.  I would apply for PIA and PIA/S at the same time.
The important thing to remember is that you need your CM to initiate a TPI decision.  If you are not designated TPI by the time your PIA decision is made, your PIAS will be denied.
That being said...  it takes only a few days to re-apply for PIAS and get approved if you are declared TPI.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Feb 2017, 12:43

abetterway,

If you are getting the Permanent Impairment Allowance, how long do you have to wait before applying for the Permanent Impairment Allowance Supplement?

The answer is you can apply for the Permanent Impairment Allowance Supplement once VAC determines you to be totally and permanently incapacitated.

If you have been deemed TPI, is there a wait time before receiving any money?

TPI is only a term used for allowing you to apply for the Permanent Impairment Allowance Supplement, it is not a benefit by itself in terms of receiving funds for being deemed TPI.

Is there a 24 month wait before getting PIAS?

No.

Back to top Go down

Post by bosn181 Thu 16 Feb 2017, 12:06

as soon as your tpi put in for pics as well vip if you have not put in for snow lawn and home cleaning and care giver. you can probably go to my vac account and recheck what you are entitled to put in for again don't wait for vac to jump up and say these are all the things you are entitled to because there is so much they don't tell you keep asking ?s someone knows the answers

bosn181
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2017-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by abetterway Thu 16 Feb 2017, 11:28

Question?

If you are getting PIA. (CIA)

How long do you have to wait before applying for the PIAS. ? (CIAS)

If you have been TPI, is there a wait time before you receive and money. ?

Is there a 24 month wait before getting PIAS ? (CIAS)

Thanks in advance
Cheers
John sunny sunny

abetterway
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv Thu 16 Feb 2017, 08:55

Vet1234, love the 'case mangler' designation:)
My mangler wanted to do assessment by some VAC nurse and I said : 'No way'.
I said get me a doctor to do the evaluation. She came back with: nurse. I said: you have docs from 4 different doctors re: my health issue, and I am not going to be waisting my time with your vac nurse.
I said: 'next is vac ombudsman, and minister'.
Week later: I was approved for whatever I was applying at the time. My story.

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Thu 16 Feb 2017, 08:34

Artie SIMM - Great handle by the way..lol , and welcome to the best forum by far for Vet issues. VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Thu 16 Feb 2017, 07:56

VAC will back date it until the date of application according to policy. My recent approval dated my retro to the day VAC received my medical reports. There is some policy that says an application is considered complete when they have all the documents needed to make a decision. There is also policy that says a PIA is payable the date of application.... According to my recent approval, my date of application was Aug 4 2016 and my retro was to September 26 2016, the day they received my docs.
That being said... I have appealed the date of Retro through the ombudsman.
I do have some advice for you though.
Get your appointments and medical docs submitted as soon as you can. This will speed up the time for a decision. The district office in conjunction with your case "mangler" will gather all the information needed and when they have it, they will forward it out east for adjudication.
PIA is a process and not a single form or document.
The first time I applied and was denied, my CM did not ensure the decision makers had all the relevant information needed to make a decision. I advise you to have current medical documents and assessments and get a clear statement from your CM as to what is needed to make a decision. My last denial was because I had no current psych report within 2 years. My CM ordered a nursing assessment and no psych evaluation. So make sure the reports you have are from experts in the field for your claimed condition.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Feb 2017, 07:05

The Permanent Impairment Allowance is paid the second last business day of each Month.

The Permanent Impairment Allowance begins to be payable on the later of:

a. the day on which the application for the allowance was made

b. the day that is one year prior to the day on which the application for the allowance is approved, i.e. one year prior to the decision date.

file:///C:/Users/John/Downloads/pdf-e1092.pdf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 47 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40 ... 47  Next