Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tinnitus

+14
kelly2564
oldsailor
daverobitaille@rogers.com
sports_1977
Newfie
MarieH
coppers2002
Tactical Snoopy
Art8
bosn181
bigrex
propat
BinRat
Gunner8
18 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Tinnitus - Page 7 Empty Re: Tinnitus

Post by Art8 Wed 24 Jan 2018, 14:07

The doctor I talked to over the phone was from veteran affairs, but the audiologist I went and seen was on my own. But they are gonna contact Vac to get approval for masking device, etc

Art8
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 24 Jan 2018, 13:27

Art8 wrote:Dishaoap, from my understanding, when I was doing my reassessment for tinnitus they told me I could just do it over the phone, which I did. But I went and seen an Audiologist as well because I also have a hearing claim that I am doing.
And at that time they ask questions about tinnitus as well, and diagnosed me severe, and prescribed me masking devices/ hearing aids. I found the phone interview was not very helpful at all, it was like 2 minutes, he asked symptoms and then said I would receive a letter in the mail. That wasn’t good enough for me, as I need something to help my tinnitus because it interferes with my daily activities and sleep and stuff, and the doctor on the phone didn’t offer any of this. So I would suggest you go and see a audiologist if your tinnitus is severe and you have some of those symptoms as well. They told me they would send all the info to VAC and I wouldn’t have to do anything else.  Hope this info helps. All the best.

Art

Thanks for this. Was the doctor from Veteran affairs? I think since you were previously assessed its just a formality.

Back to top Go down

Post by Art8 Wed 24 Jan 2018, 13:22

Dishaoap, from my understanding, when I was doing my reassessment for tinnitus they told me I could just do it over the phone, which I did. But I went and seen an Audiologist as well because I also have a hearing claim that I am doing.
And at that time they ask questions about tinnitus as well, and diagnosed me severe, and prescribed me masking devices/ hearing aids. I found the phone interview was not very helpful at all, it was like 2 minutes, he asked symptoms and then said I would receive a letter in the mail. That wasn’t good enough for me, as I need something to help my tinnitus because it interferes with my daily activities and sleep and stuff, and the doctor on the phone didn’t offer any of this. So I would suggest you go and see a audiologist if your tinnitus is severe and you have some of those symptoms as well. They told me they would send all the info to VAC and I wouldn’t have to do anything else. Hope this info helps. All the best.

Art

Art8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Art8 Wed 24 Jan 2018, 13:14

Thanks bosn181

Art8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 24 Jan 2018, 13:06

Art8 wrote:Seen the audiologist today. She diagnosed me with severe tinnitus, and hearing loss in my left ear. And prescribed me hearing aid/masking device, a sound pillow, and tinnitus retraining therapy.

Do you need a family doctor or both or just an audiologist? Will Veteran Affairs need anything else if its just an reassessment?

Back to top Go down

Post by bosn181 Wed 24 Jan 2018, 08:55

glad your getting the help you need art8. seeing you already have tinnitus claim this will be faster as it is a re assessment on your claim for tinnitus and hopefully bump you to max.

bosn181
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2017-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Art8 Tue 23 Jan 2018, 10:41

Seen the audiologist today. She diagnosed me with severe tinnitus, and hearing loss in my left ear. And prescribed me hearing aid/masking device, a sound pillow, and tinnitus retraining therapy.

Art8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bosn181 Fri 19 Jan 2018, 14:34

up to you

bosn181
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Art8 Fri 19 Jan 2018, 12:49

Yes I was 4% years back, and I told the doctor now that it has gotten much worst and interferes with my daily life plus it interferes with my sleep because it is a constant ringing. And he said was, we don’t need anything else from you, you will get a letter in the mail in a month or two. So I guess all I can do is wait and see what they say. I do have a audio gram appointment next week, as I am doing a separate one for hearing loss. Maybe I can ask them about the masking device? Or should I just wait and see what Vac says in the letter?

Art8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bosn181 Fri 19 Jan 2018, 12:35

a masking device can help with tinnitus to make white noise and help with the tinnitus to get a better nights sleep.  the reason i say go to the hearing place get a model number and then go to your family doc get a prescription is to help make it easier when you apply for it through vac.  some friends of mine did not go that route and vac delayed them and after waiting ended up having to go this route. i only saying if you need a masking device then don't give vac a reason to delay you and if your not maxed a masking device will add 5% to your tinnitus.  as well in order to get a masking device your tinnitus has to be at 5% so i was told.  i have a few friends that were at 2% tinnitus and they got the prescription with model number and vac bumped them up to the max. they were at 2% so they had been reassessed and moved up so the masking device the doc prescribed could be added.

bosn181
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Fri 19 Jan 2018, 05:52

Tactical Snoopy, what percentage are you at?

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2018-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Tactical Snoopy Thu 18 Jan 2018, 21:52

bosn181 wrote:once you get a prescription you will need to have the model number of the masking device on that prescription make sure to keep a copy as you will need to take that to vac and put it through the process. mine took less than two months and many others i know that also have the masking device took around the same time.  its not a new claim as you already have tinnitus it is a reassement on it with a new prescription update.  the reason the model number should be on the prescription is to save you time for them asking where it is and them only delaying you longer.  in order to get the model number you would have to go to a hearing place and see them or talk to the person asking you the ?'s in your upcoming visit.

Interesting. My prescription makes no mention of a masking device model number. I had no intention of purchasing one until I released as VAC will cover the costs but only once released. Hoping this won't delay things...

Tactical Snoopy
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2017-12-17

http://tacticode.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner8 Thu 18 Jan 2018, 21:18

Art, if you told him you had all those symptoms which are accurate to the max, then I don’t know why u wouldn’t get awarded max. Anyone else know or have any other resolutions?

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2018-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Art8 Wed 17 Jan 2018, 14:36

Had the appt today, told him my symptoms, which are accurate to 10%, as showed in the table below. Then he just said thanks that’s all I need from you, you will receive a letter in the mail in a month or two!!

Art8
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bosn181 Wed 17 Jan 2018, 12:30

once you get a prescription you will need to have the model number of the masking device on that prescription make sure to keep a copy as you will need to take that to vac and put it through the process. mine took less than two months and many others i know that also have the masking device took around the same time.  its not a new claim as you already have tinnitus it is a reassement on it with a new prescription update.  the reason the model number should be on the prescription is to save you time for them asking where it is and them only delaying you longer. in order to get the model number you would have to go to a hearing place and see them or talk to the person asking you the ?'s in your upcoming visit.

bosn181
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next