Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi Guy's I am back after a STRESS/de confusion break, now I have a few questions.

+2
sabrelove
pteadams2002
6 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Hi Guy's I am back after a STRESS/de confusion break,  now I have a few questions. - Page 4 Empty Re: Hi Guy's I am back after a STRESS/de confusion break, now I have a few questions.

Post by Guest Fri 18 Jan 2013, 14:19

If SISIP is supposed to top us up to 75% of pre-release salary and we get taxed at lets say 33% and the lawyers take their 20% Are we actually only going to see 26% pre-release salary? Food for thought!!!

Back to top Go down

Hi Guy's I am back after a STRESS/de confusion break,  now I have a few questions. - Page 4 Empty Re: Hi Guy's I am back after a STRESS/de confusion break, now I have a few questions.

Post by Guest Fri 18 Jan 2013, 14:04

boys at the start it dollar for dollar that is what their policy states verry clearly.now that is on the primary ammount so yes thoes on cppd for a long time get more as the indexing does not count but on day one its dollar for dollar if you read the policy it will be a lot clearer to you.i suppose i should have said dollar for dollar for someone not on it yet but as robbie was asking the question the way he did i naturally assumed he was not on it.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by beleaf67 Fri 18 Jan 2013, 13:38

SteveRobbieRoyay, sorry about the late reply. It was a very long night, lots of pain and discomfort! Had to play catch up. The offset isn't dollar for dollar! For example, I too receive similar benefits to which you refer, but the offset and relative math, works in the disabled person's benefit to a great degree. The same will apply to the LTD portion. There will be a reduction to your LTD once you are approved for CPP, but again, when all is said and done, the disabled individual will benefit overall.
There is one other factor at play that I fear to mention because I'm cautious regarding upsetting some people! On the other hand, it has to be mentioned! I would advise all eligible persons to apply to CPP simply due to the fact that insurance companies can be very evil, demanding and unpredictable! I've actually witnessed a friend of mine who was cut off from LTD and thanks to their receiving CPP, they stayed above water until they were reinstated! Let me advise all who read these posts, insurance companies are in the business of making money. If they can come up with any reason to terminate your benefits, they will, in a heart beat by the way. Whether it be late annual medical updates, conflicting medical opinions or straight refusal to play fair, they can be evil and unforgiving! So, apply to CPP, and be assured that in the event these insurance companies treat you like a number, which they quite often do, you at least won't go hungry while you fight the war of reinstatement! I'm not saying that this will happen to anybody on this site, but stranger and darker things have come to pass! Just a word to the wise!

beleaf67
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2012-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Jan 2013, 12:19

Nice goat picture! Thanks everyone I will start filling out the forms today.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Jan 2013, 12:05

Agreed buddy and I am focused on the brains in here as I recall our conversation Dennis was the ability to tap into resources around us and thanks for your assistance, I will be calling even if it is to just say hello brother

Back to top Go down

Post by dennismanuge Fri 18 Jan 2013, 11:55

anything you need, Robbie, ask away, as there are allot of really smart, tuned in folks on here, if tthere is anything you think I can do to point you in right direction, call me

dennismanuge
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2012-12-04

http://leavenovetbehind.ca/home

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Jan 2013, 11:53

thanks sapper seems to be coming together after all this sisip thing has opened more positive avenues to plan for a better future for my family so I have to take advantage loke everyone else should, so I will be posting questions on how to do things I have never done before so people have some patience ok I am not a rocket scientist here but I can destroy them faster than they are built.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Zodiak Fri 18 Jan 2013, 11:32

Cpp D is not a dollar for dollar deduction. When reinstated this fall, they only took about 60% of my LTD sisip off for the deduction. I checked this out as the numbers didn't jive. Also, the Cpp D is pretaxed at source.
Chimo
ps my kids away at school each take in $224.50 per month, until age 25 or out of school.

Sapper Zodiak
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 963
Registration date : 2012-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Jan 2013, 10:55

So am I missing something hypothetically speaking if I earn 1000.00 (Net) a month form my CF Pension and 2000.00 (net) a month SISIP with two children I understand receiving 224 per child is good but an additional 1000.00 per month to myself. If SISIP AND my CF Pension reduce my income by 1000.00 which is my contribution how do you see a dollar per dollar amount> I see it that my CF Pension will be reduced (hypothetically) by say a portion received from CPPD and I would imagine SISIP will reduce my LTD by an equal portion, so I gather I am only receiving 224 per chile and paying into 3 taxable allowances. Help me out here, thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Jan 2013, 09:35

belea im on cppd and sisip is deducting dollar for dollar that ammount.my pention was reduced but sisip ltd made up for that dollar for dollar.so without kids how am i ahead on cppd?i agee with moast of what you said and really want to encourage peeps to get on this if they can no longer work but im obviously missing the math here.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by beleaf67 Fri 18 Jan 2013, 09:23

As stated previously, you have to apply for CPP benefits as clearly outlined by your LTD provider, in this case Manulife. Your CF Pension//SISIP may indeed be reduced, but overall, you will be ahead financially! The numbers will work in your favor! In addition, the DTC upon approval, will reduce any taxes owed. In addition, if you have children, they would receive a monthly entitlement of 224 dollars up to the age of 18 and up to the age of 25 if they're in school pursuing a degree, diploma, etc.., If you are part of the Class Action Suit, you would have noticed that in the Oct 2012 letter that was sent out, to be returned no later than Feb 2013 I do believe, there was a question on the form that asked if you had applied for CPP/QPP! The purpose of that question, was to take note of the fact that if you are approved for ongoing LTD payments, Manulife will direct you to apply for CPP! You have no choice, you must apply if you are to continue receiving LTD payments! The Class Action Suit, dealt with the offset of VAC payments, not CPP and/or your CF Pension! These entitlements are not considered awards for pain and suffering as the VAC award is intended by definition and law! So, in the end, you will be directed to apply for CPP and if approved, your LTD payment will be reduced as will your CF Pension! Regardless, you will be ahead in the end, not by any large amount, but ahead just the same!

beleaf67
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Jan 2013, 09:12

robbie their is no cons to being on cppd as your monthly income will not change if you have no kids.yup you will get less military pention and sisip ltd but cppd will make that up dollar for dollar.

the pros

1.if you have kids your monthy income does go up arround 200 per child.

2.NOW THIS IS A BIG ONE AND I CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH
YOUR CPP LEVEL WILL BE FROZEN SO WHEN YOU CHANGE FROM CPPD TO CPP YOU WILL RECIVE THAT LEVEL OF CPP.
IF YOU GO A CRAPLOAD OF YEARS NOT ON CPPD AND NOT PAYING INTO CPP YOU MAY END UP WITH A HUGHE DEDUCTION ON YOUR CPP WHEN YOU REACH THE AGE TO GET IT.

TO ALL;IF YOU CAN NO LONGER WORK APPLY FOR CPPD YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Jan 2013, 08:53

What are the pro's and con's of applying for CPPD and I gather that all taxable pensions including CFPension and SISIP LTD will be effected so where is the benefit other than at 65/67 the CPPD continues and SISIP ceases.

Back to top Go down

Post by beleaf67 Fri 18 Jan 2013, 08:49

The issue is not should you apply for CPPD, the issue is if you are in receipt of LTD Payments from Manulife you will eventually be forced to apply for CPPD! Once, and if, you are approved for CPPD, a portion of your Manulife LTD payment will be reduced due to the fact that you are in receipt of this extra disability payment! The offset still kicks in on LTD in this case! If you do not apply for CPPD and you are in receipt of LTD, they, meaning Manulife, will eventually force you to apply and if you do not apply, they will force you with termination of benefits. Believe me, been there, done that!The basic entitlement per month for CPP, with no kids is about 1000 dollars in Jan 2013! Each kid is granted approximately 224 dollars per month up until the age of 18. The benefit will continue after the age of 18 if the child is a full time student pursuing a degree, diploma, etc.., up until the age of 25!
With regard to the Disability Tax Credit, the DTC, is a 5000 dollar non refundable tax credit and in my experience, it is a very difficult credit to get, due to the narrow and stringent definitions that must be met as outlined by CRA! Nevertheless, depending on your medical situation, you may have no problem in getting approved. By the way, the actual DTC and the number of years a person may get, will vary! For some, it's a lifetime, for some it can be 5 years, CRA will decide that, depending on your submission! In addition, you may get retro approved for the DTC and this is a good thing. You then, depending on your circumstances, could ask CRA to reassess your past tax years, depending of course on the date that they consider you to have been entitled to the DTC! Again, each situation is different, and upon approval, you would discuss these issues with your accountant, tax dude, your own observations, etc..,
The application and approval process for CPPD, usually takes about 3-4 months! Depending on your situation, retroactive pay regarding CPP usually extends up to 12 months! For ease of comprehension, let's say a person applied for CPP in Sep 2012, but have been disabled since Jan of 2012, CPP would then be retroactive to Jan 2012 upon approval! In reality, a person, if so entitled, should apply for CPP as soon as they are considered disabled! How can you lose, it's an entitlement that you've paid for and one that would be justifiably earned! Hope this helps you!

beleaf67
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Jan 2013, 06:28

bigrex i think that was recon.RECON can you confirm?

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next