Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here we are, Halifax, Feb 14th, Convention Center

+11
1993firebird
pteadams2002
meathead
Newfie
Wife of a Veteran
RCN-Retired
Nemo
sabrelove
321HTRCN
peep
K9
15 posters

Page 10 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Go down

Here we are, Halifax, Feb 14th, Convention Center - Page 10 Empty Re: Here we are, Halifax, Feb 14th, Convention Center

Post by meathead Thu 14 Feb 2013, 18:52

To all that had the ability to step forward with their stories, "starting with Dennis" .I want to say thank-you from both myself, but all the Vets that are living in the shadows
Again Thank-you and may we all find the peace that we have fought for around this world

Tom Kozel

meathead
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2012-09-27

Back to top Go down

Here we are, Halifax, Feb 14th, Convention Center - Page 10 Empty Re: Here we are, Halifax, Feb 14th, Convention Center

Post by Guest Thu 14 Feb 2013, 18:46

You did great K9 today.
Sparrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Feb 2013, 18:45

Newfie, I cried when I read my letter today, many cried as well reading their letters. But it felt good afterwards. Closure comes in many forms and this was my closure today for all my hurts stemming from my service. It was a good day.

Sparrow

Last edited by Sparrow. on Thu 14 Feb 2013, 18:46; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by K9 Thu 14 Feb 2013, 18:45

I concure with Sparrow,

Pat.
K9
K9
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Newfie Thu 14 Feb 2013, 18:43

Thnks for al the updates. My stomach was in knots all day today at work. I couldn't wait to get home and read the posts. Much appreciation to all who attended on our behalf. I read this thread in its entirety and cried thru most of them. Some of the tears are from memories and other tears are a sense of pride and extremely proud that even thru this stessfull and emotional time we stand together and support each other as soldiers and vets. I know in my heart that no amount of money can equate to the friendship and connection that 7500 vets now have. Thank you Dennis for bringing us together even it it was thru a law suit

Newfie
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2013-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Feb 2013, 18:36

Everyone there in attendance came away feeling that this is the best deal possible.

Sparrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Wife of a Veteran Thu 14 Feb 2013, 18:31

Last edited by Wife of a Veteran on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 20:29; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

Wife of a Veteran
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Feb 2013, 18:28

Thanks sparrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Feb 2013, 18:22

Here are my notes, learned facts and interpretations of the proceedings in point form for ease:

In no particular order just as I wrote them:

- Dennis Manuge has been through hell since 2006 when he commenced this case. He has been involved and done immense work on all our behalf. Dennis deserves the honorarium more than $50,000 and will likely get one. It does not come from our pockets it will come from legal contingency amounts.

-We are fortunate that the Crown did not take this to trial as we would have received less ultimately, fewer vets would be entitled to the settlement as the GoC was being fair when they allowed case to go back to 1976 and this came from Judge Barnes. It would take another 2-3 litigation years. Meanwhile the Feds (this is very important to remember and has occurred previously with other class action suits based on evidence today by Ward Branch) that it could likely get legislated out and we could have no case at that point. It has occurred with other class action cases again brought forth today this fact and actual cases noted.

-For those vets that are concerned they will not be reinstated by sisip or there are any calculation disputes there will be Independant Administrator name Laura Burns paid by the firm and not from vets in any way made available for us to work with sisip.

- Sisip will also be monitored by an independant firm name Deloits who will look over sisips shoulder at all times again paid by McInness Cooper and from their pockets not ours.

- Historically based on what was presented today by McInnes Cooper, their fees are well within line of any class action case and statistically are infact less.

- taxes can not be changed and statistics show class actions don't even try to help class however our lawyers took an extra step to help us.

BASED ON WHAT I LEARNED TODAY FIRST HAND WE HAVE BEEN TREATED FAIRLY BY LEGAL AND HAVE RECEIVED THE BEST DEAL POSSIBLE. THEY WENT ABOVE AND BEYOND WHAT THEY HAD TO DO FOR US.

What we need to know is there are alot of items in the agreement that was worked for us that did not have to be put in place in such a manner that it was.

-Taxes not likely going to change.

-Judge Barnes only says yes or no at this point to the agreement as stands.

Sparrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Feb 2013, 18:21

Thursday night steak night! Like the old days Smile and a Keiths

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Feb 2013, 18:19

Hi guys thanks for all the updates ... You guys enjoy yourselfs the best you can... Have a beer and reload......You all have done a good job down there...
THANKS

Chimo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Feb 2013, 18:08

Thank you to those that kept us informed today.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Feb 2013, 17:52

no Botl, the object but they cant appeal the fees. The judge has final say

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Feb 2013, 17:51

It will resume tomorrow morning 9:30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Feb 2013, 17:48

A huge thanks to those who are in Halifax posting bits and pieces of information for those of who couldn't be there.

Following this thread since it began earlier today, and hopefully I'm not alone in saying this otherwise I'll feel pretty stupid ... but ... I'm not really absorbing much of what has been posted so far.

From what I understand, the argument to this point is who is going to pay the lawyers...us or the GOC...correct?

Also, I assume this hearing won't be finished today will it?

I read somewhere about if there's an appeal on behalf of the GOC, there can conceivably be a 2 year delay before any veteran gets their cheque. Is that right? If not, and lets say the judges signs off on everything today/tomorrow, when will the cheques be cut and when would these cheques be put in the mail?

Thanks again folks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next