Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MVA says "Keep an eye on the budget"

+8
sailor964
Sapper Zodiak
czerv
Dannypaj
pinger
bigrex
johnny211
Teentitan
12 posters

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

MVA says "Keep an eye on the budget" - Page 8 Empty Re: MVA says "Keep an eye on the budget"

Post by Guest Sat 12 Mar 2016, 12:54

I think the best thing they can do right now is to look at scrapping the NVC altogether.

Bring back the old pension act as it is for those grandfathered into it & the RCMP.

Call it what you will , pension act , upgraded pension act , whatever.

Take the selected merits of what was in the NVC and add them into the old act.

The legislation for those selected merit benefits from the NVC have already been written , they can adjust the legislation to coincide with the old act.

This would save a lot of time an headaches , and would bring back fairness across the board.

Back to top Go down

MVA says "Keep an eye on the budget" - Page 8 Empty Re: MVA says "Keep an eye on the budget"

Post by Teentitan Sat 12 Mar 2016, 12:11

Yes you are correct Rex but the PA does not have a fixed dollar cap like the NVC. Again that is the main problem with reinstating the lifelong.

I'm not trying to be a devil's advocate on this. This is an actual problem and VAC is having a hard time trying to figure it out to keep it fair, equal and lawsuit free. As great as propats idea is the bureaucrats look at this as a piece-mealing solution. Which we all know will only lead to comprehension problems and a lawsuit.

Just look at the current lawsuit in the court right now...."My SISIP rep told me not to bother applying for LTD because my pension and PA payment is larger then 75%" A common situation in the past but now a problem that the PA is not an income replacement and it's being bumped to 90%. VAC is getting lawsuit shy. SISIP, Equitas, this one, mismanaged/confiscated payment for WW2 vets.

The more they are trying to figure it out the more they are looking towards a merge. I just want to see them come to this conclusion by the time the House stands for the summer so we can start a campaign to get the right vets on the panel.

Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 12 Mar 2016, 11:52

And the amounts paid, are not linked to the ToD. The maximum lump could have doubled, and the actual ToD would have remained the same.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 12 Mar 2016, 11:49

Teen, there was always a cap. It's 100%. Once you reach that level, you cannot be paid any more.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sat 12 Mar 2016, 11:49

Then you are technically merging the 2 acts propat. So why not go all in....knuckle down and gather a combination of vets, vet orgs, lawyers, bureaucrats and CM's and create a new veterans act to keep life simple and easy?
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 12 Mar 2016, 11:38

ya just give them an option of the PA pension . if they choose that their pain and suffering part will be processed exactly as if they were on the PA kind of like the RCMP .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sat 12 Mar 2016, 10:59

Rex the ToD's for the NVC are based on a maximum cap of $306,000. Where the PA is based on NO cap.

This is where the problem is there is a maximum cap on a NVC ToD and how do they turn this into a lifelong pension?
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 11 Mar 2016, 20:48

I just don't see why the ToD should be causing roadblocks. They don't radically increase percentages, for most disabilities, but they do offer a more succinct explanation of why certain percentage are achieved, based on the symptoms and medical findings at each level. Under the old Tod, they only offered percentage ranges or minimums, with no real explanation as to how the actual percentage was determined. one example was a knee disability, if it was severe, you could get between 30-40%, so even with 5/5, they could give you 30%, and you couldn't appeal that. But the new ToD, because they provide exact percentages, Veterans can estimate how much they could receive, if given a full pension. Also, old disabilities that we initially assessed under the old ToD, use the new ToD, if being reassessed.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Fri 11 Mar 2016, 16:06

teentitan - I think you are spot on with what will be announced. My quess would be the same ELB/LTD - 90%, Reopen DO's, rehire. Who knows, maybe fixing up the PIA/PIAS elgb and levels. But I think there may also, be something in there for families, like more counselling provided, and maybe fix the mess the last Gov made of the FCGRB. VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 Mar 2016, 14:11

I will search for those guidelines , I want to post them on the Forum for all to see.

Surely they must have written references for those guidelines somewhere.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Fri 11 Mar 2016, 14:00

Oh there is a lot more involved. If you got an hour and some hairs you want to pull out give them a call. I went straight to my fridge downed a beer, belched, and carried on with 6 more to get my head back on straight. LOL
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 Mar 2016, 13:58

I did not realize the eligibility for the Last Post Fund include those guidelines teen.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Fri 11 Mar 2016, 13:49

About the PIA they have, as per the Equitas lawsuit, already made the PIA entry easier. What they haven't informed us about is the fact that a very large majority of the vets getting PIA are all at the entry level.

They haven't worked out the "adjudication" to move vets to level 2 and 3.

So if they mention PIA it will be a bells and whistle announcement only. The adjudication for levels will/have to be worked out by the end of May when Equitas and the GoC go before the BC judge to decide wether the lawsuit goes forward or Equitas accepts the changes.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Fri 11 Mar 2016, 13:46

About the Last Post Fund they can triple the amount or even quadruple it, it won't make a damn difference. What I want to hear is the application rules are going to be changed.

I talked to the head of the LPF for an hour and 55 minutes of it was the rules tied to the application. So damn complicated that it boils down to this....just about every asset you have is considered and if you pass the threshold of, don't quote me, $15K you enter the adjusted refund amount to $25K. Over the maximum you get squat.

But if your pensioned condition is the cause of your death you get it no questions asked.

If funeral directors are swallowing some of the cost for the veteran out of respect then change the rules where the amount is the following:
1. Automatic headstone/urn
2. Annual change to the national average of a funeral plus $5K to make sure the service is covered.

So a gov't that says it will double the LPF is blowing smoke up our chutes!!

Not kidding here but the LPF renews the plot of a veteran buried in Quebec every 50 years. Quebec can after 50 years take the plot back.

Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 Mar 2016, 13:45

ya me to but im a little worried about there resolve after the whole put on hold thing . still glad its there though.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next